• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Normal vs. Miami Phase

snakehobbyist

Does anyone have pictures of a snake around 30g of both a normal and Miami phase snake? I'm just trying to see the subtle differences in the two. I know the normals are more orangy...but can you really see the orange/lack of orange on a snake that small?

Here are two different roughly 20g Miamis...

Attachments

• Miami Q September-8.jpg
    Miami Q September-8.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Miami K September-4.jpg
    Miami K September-4.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 120
Look at the background color on the Miamis. See how it is silver? That is pretty much what defines a Miami phase.

I have a 7g miami phase and a 27g normal...but the normal has a silver background, red saddles, and minimal orange/gold tint along her neck roughly 1/3 down her back. Then the orangy/gold tint goes away to just a silver background. Even though I've been told she's normal...she just seems too...un-orangy for a normal. But then again, I've just never had a normal before...especially not a baby.

She seems more abbotts okeetee-ish than normal. I'm trying to decide to sell her or keep her since I got the Miami I wanted lol.

It's a blurry line sometimes, many breeders will reserve the name 'miami' for their top notch animals- I have seen many a nice animal with a silver background that fits the description of "miami" be sold or labeled as normals, when in doubt I'd rather call something a nice normal than a "less than perfect" miami :)

Techincally, Miami's *are* normal, they are a locality morph, known for the grey or tan ground color variation, as opposed to the orange type ground color on most normals.
Most Miami's that you will see have the grey ground color, that starts off white or silver-ish, like the pics Nanci posted.

Good pics of your snake would help us determine better what your snake is.

Yeah...that's where I'm sitting. I keep thinking she's just a bad example of a Miami or a very nice normal. Her red saddles have a nice dark black outline like Miami's do. Let me see if I can get a better pictured of her for you to see.

She seems more abbotts okeetee-ish than normal. I'm trying to decide to sell her or keep her since I got the Miami I wanted lol.

Color-wise, or the really thick saddle borders?

Again, pictures of your snake are the best way for us to help you. Otherwise, we're just guessing.

A "normal" from that region is a "Miami" :) Generally the Miami is just more silvery/gray and may have been selectively bred to further the distinction. You might have someone breed a miami to a normal and they would likely call the offspring normals.

Here is the day I got her (August 26th).

109452_244795_VeryLarge_3xVgIWep2drWn3.jpg

Since then, she's shed once for me. The lighting is HORRIBLE. It's raining outside so I can't get any with natural sunlight...and...these were taken on my phone. It does not capture the silver as great as I would like. The bedroom lighting makes her look more orange than she really is.

img0506tr.jpg

img0504hk.jpg

img0501cdl.jpg

This last one is about midway down her back...you can see the clear difference from her head to her back.

img0503pf.jpg

Her ground color is *tan*, not silver. Compare her pictures to those of the miami-phase animals posted. She may never be super vibrant, but she's definitely not got the silver/steel color of a miami.

I would call that snake a normal. Any snake with a saddle pattern can have nice thick borders. What really matters is do _you_ like her? Do you find her visually appealing, or do you love her personality?

I just don't have a lot of experience with normal babies. I tend not to like the orangy color...thus I don't own any xD Oh well. No matter what color she is, I'm probably selling her anyway because I got the miami I wanted (who's a CLEAR and BEAUTIFUL Miami) and she's really not needed. The only thing that might convince me to keep her is to prove her out and see if she's het for amel/anery

She kinda reminds me of the Alabama wild type locality. Is she becoming more metallic grey as she gets older?

Where did you get her & what did they have her labeled as?

I got her from a guy at a pet store (Plano Pets in Plano, TX). He was trying to get rid of a male corn snake and so he threw it into my order. he ended up being a she. He had a customer who bred her and couldn't sell her, so she gave her to the pet store owner. She never sold at his pet store so he brought her to the NARBC in Arlington which is where I got her. He doesn't have any information on her. Her background is getting more grey as she sheds and I noticed her orange/gold on her neck got a little bit more yellow than orange.

and like I said, the lighting makes her seem tan. She's actually a nice grey color. Again, not that big a deal. I -know- she isn't a miami (she doesn't look like my miami at all). I -knew- she was a normal...I was more curious to see if she was unusually light colored for a normal or if that was how a 30g normal should look like. I don't have much experience with normals. My other corns are snow, anery, and bloodred who are very distinct in color.

Back