• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Normal vs. Miami Phase

I see the silver/grey color you are referring to, in one of her pics. She looks wild type to me, & does show some resemblance to the Alabama locality.

Edit to add: for all intense purposes, she is a Normal, but I wanted to add my .02 about her looking Alabama-ish.

Yes, I know she's a normal. I guess I figured she wasn't the "orangy" normal that most people think of because she doesn't have a lot of orange at all. But looking at your Alabama's, it looks like she might be from that locality.

Thank you! There's not many Alabama's around. A few of us would like to get the Alabama line going, but I'm not having much luck with it.
I did pair my WC female with a Tessera male last year, & will be continuing the Alabama Tessera project, in hopes of getting the Alabama coloring in the Tessera pattern.

Tesseras are beautiful! I'd love to get my hands on that project! I might keep this girl around and see her color out as she grows up. I think she's beautiful as she is. Perhaps I can dinker around with her. Who knows? Good luck with your project!

Thank you! I plan on a few projects this coming season, one includes continuing the Alabama Tessera project, as well as the Miami Tessera project.

I'll probably purchase me a tessera when they aren't $1000 a pop! I'm focusing more on my ball python morphs than corns. Then again, it is and always will be a hobby of mine.

Tessera's aren't that expensive anymore, unless you're getting a specific morph. Normal Tessera's are around $400-$600 now.

That might be how I get into the project...start with a normal and work my way up! I'd love an amel tessera male to breed with my snow and bloodred (if she proves to be het amel)

She looks like a very classic wild-type which can be found through-out the natural range of corn snakes. Alabama corns are classic wild-type in appearance, but they are first and foremost, a locality corn snake, so unless you know your snake is from Alabama, I wouldn't call it one.

Apparently my question got lost in translation. While I appreciate the feedback I'm getting, I was not asking what to label her as if I sold her. All I wanted was to see the subtle differences between what I consider to be different morphs. I know they are all variations of normals, but me, personally, see them all as unique and different. I simply wanted to figure out what she resembles for my own benefit, not for anyone elses'. I don't plan on selling her labeled Miami/Alabama/whathaveyou, In fact, I'm not entirely certain I even will sell her. I simply notice that she wasn't as orange as what I consider a "normal" corn snake and wanted to explore what possibilities she could be, not necessarily what she is. I will never know what she truly is because I don't know her genetics.

I do apologize if that came off harsh, but I was just getting tired of people trying to tell me not to sell her as an Alabama/Miami/whathaveyou because that was not what I was asking at all! I just have a passion for genetics and any chance I get to learn more is an opportunity I take.

All I saw was people answering your questions and trying to be helpful.

They started off being helpful and answering my questions, but some people either got off topic or assumed things that weren't necessarily true. I'm not sure what happened, but it definitely veered from its original intent.

But looking at your Alabama's, it looks like she might be from that locality.

unless you know your snake is from Alabama, I wouldn't call it one.

Again, I think Susan was gently suggesting not to make an assumption, rather than accusing you of making one. The first snippy post in this thread was your reply to her.

she was suggesting I not label her if I was going to sell her. But even this was not at all what my thread was intended for. I just wanted to see pictures of the subtle differences between normals, Miamis/Alabamas/whathaveyous for my own personal knowledge base. I also recognized that my corn (through this thread) was not the orangy normal that people keep saying she is. Thus I was looking for a possible explanation for this. possible being the key word. I LOVE genetics and if I can get a chance to learn more about the difference genetics, then I will. That's all I was doing. I'm not selling anyone label as miami/alabama/whathaveyou if I don't know that for sure. That's where my issue is.

People turned from me simply seeing the differences in the different variations of "normals" into me selling my snake labeled as one locality or another. I'm not selling her! I said I might sell her since all I wanted was a Miami and I got her last week! And even if I choose to sell her, I'll be labeling her as normal so I just got tired of people telling me not to sell her as Alabama/Miami/whathaveyou when I already explained that I wasn't doing that.

I really don't mean to sound snippy, I'm just annoyed that people don't understand my original intent and instead of asking me to clarify, they keep assuming things that aren't true.

And (since I forgot to add it), my post was not directed at any one person. It was more directed to the entire progression of the thread. If I could delete this thread, I most certainly would. It's gotten way out of hand and my original question still has not truly been answered so it's really just a useless thread in my opinion.

If you wanted a miami-phase, personally I'd say you can't get better than Carol's miamis. your snake is lovely in her own right though.

I actually got a Miami-Phase last week. She's only 7g and not yet eating for me. I had a friend throw one in when he got a bumble bee ball python from BHB. I didn't know I was getting her. She was a complete surprise to me. I had gotten this unnamed girl (the one in the pictures) for free at an expo. I don't really know what I want to do with her now that I have the Miami I've always wanted. I've never had a snake with a snippy personality, so I'm going to try to get her to chill out. I know my brother wants a snake, so when he moves out of the dorm, I might just give it to him as a Christmas present or something.

here is Lotus, my female 24g Miami (pet store pick up)
Lotus%208-30-12_zpscc725006.jpg

and this was Alcide (A classic), when I first got him at around 30g.
11-30-11(8)_zpsafc1081d.jpg

Lovely animal, but she is a NORMAL from a PETSHOP.

No matter what she APPEARS to be, she is a NORMAL.

There is quite alot of variety among NORMALS.

They don't have to be okeetee/miami/alabama/spaghetti/fluffernutter sandwiches to be beautiful........

Back