• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

pro and cons of buying and older snake

Maybe it would come off with no effort at all- and the previous owners just didn't notice it or know how to treat it. But yeah, you _can_ get a fungal infection started under a retained shed, so it's good to get it off ASAP.

OK, I am going to give everyone here a chance to take potshots at me.
There are pros' and cons' to buying an old snake, I talk from personal experience.
Three years ago I bought two adult snakes, I am talking in the four to five foot category here, a beautiful Okeetee female and an impresive Amel male.
Here's the situation, the female has never given me even one slug never mind eggs, surely a con., the male on the other hand is such an awesome breeder that he covered all my females this season including the Okeetee female, result, three awesome clutches of eggs out of, you guessed it, four females, surely a pro.
Alright start shooting, OH, I dont know the ages of those two snakes I bought three years ago.

Ciao

I find that, as previously stated, older snakes are much more relaxed outside of their enclosure. They are the same inside. My 3 older females almost always poke their heads out when they "feel" me, through the vibrations of my steps, walk into the room. They're also much more inclined to "bask" in the open and don't go scurrying for cover when I approach. I enjoy them much more although the tight clean colors on the smaller scales of the juvies are more ascetically pleasing to my eye...my 2 1/2 cents...:)

I like it when they get big enough to hang on around your neck. I had Bacon out the other day, and he rode on my neck while I took out everyone's water bowls and washed them. He probably thinks I'm crazy- they never did that with him at VMS!

Which one should I get? Is the 14 months old too OLD?

"too old" for what, is my question. What difference is 7 months going to make?

I volunteer at the shelter, and it get's my back up when people tell me they want babies instead of older animals, and for the most silly reasons. No matter what snake you get you'll love, two of mine were a year old when I got them, and Amel boy was 3 years old. I love them all the same as if I got them as babies. There is a special feeling in giving an animal a home that no one else wanted (mind you, it ensures you don't have the impressive mophs but I'm willing to take that hit for now).

I like it when they get big enough to hang on around your neck. I had Bacon out the other day, and he rode on my neck while I took out everyone's water bowls and washed them. He probably thinks I'm crazy- they never did that with him at VMS!

:-offtopic I cant wait until my corn could do that! He would probably love it.

psst patm1313...Flame is not a motley.

I know. I have had numerous people tell me that. It was a miscommunication when he was bought.

Thanks though, it's nice to see people care, and won't let me drift off into my happy land where an abviousley non-motley corn is a motley. :rofl:

I changed it. Now back to the OP's question....

Now you need to change the sex designation from 0.1 to 0.0.1, since you don't know that the snake's a female. And you don't have to announce it to us when you make the change. We can all see your sig. :)

Now back to the OP's question... If you have experience with the OP's situation, help a member out! If not, sit back; you might learn something.

A snake is never too old, as long as you've gotten the opportunity to handle it and make sure its okay with being held. As far as personality goes, my favorite snake in my entire collection is one who I picked up late last year. He was hatched in 1994, and had been with the original owner since he was in first grade. So there's never such a thing as 'too old.'

Yes, unless it's going to die in a year, and you pay $100 for it...

Well, hopefully you have the intelligence to not pay $100 for a snake that's going to die in a year. Or better yet, to ask questions about the snakes age.

That was over the whole snake though.

A small patch of missed shed wouldn't stop me buying a Corn that I really wanted.

I bet that given the correct conditions for the next shed, that small patch will sort itself right out.

Very true:)
Sometimes I read too much to worry about everything:uhoh:

I am looking forward to the pictures when you bring your new 'little' one home

For future reference...if a snake has a bit of retained shed as the OP states (ie. not on eyes or tail tip) should you apply a bit of Neosporin or the like to avoid a possible infection until the next shed?

By the way we paid close to $100 for our first Anery hatchling, he lived for 4 short years and his worth to us was priceless.

imo (which probably doesnt count for too much yet) an older snake would be better for a starter snake, you wont have to worry about it being a trouble feeder and adults are usually pretty mellow compared to younglings. my snake was five years old when i got him. i just think it'd be easier for a beginner. (sry if someone else already said this, i just read the question, not other ppls responces)

if a snake has a bit of retained shed as the OP states (ie. not on eyes or tail tip) should you apply a bit of Neosporin or the like to avoid a possible infection until the next shed?

Nope, not necessary unless you spot signs of other trouble. Unshed skin shouldn't get infected as the surface of the skin isn't broken, although if left on a tail tip it can cause trouble.

For info, I believe that Neosporin is an anti-fungal, not an antiseptic. It wouldn't be any good for preventing an infection.

Back