• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Riker - Progression Thread

Thanks! He seems to be really happy to be back home, too. I got him out this afternoon to give him a good inspection for injuries or mites, and he's alert, active, and just wanted to be back in his enclosure in his warm-side hide.

Good news: no obvious injuries from Mason (our Maine Coon cat; all 18 lbs of him) having caught him, no sign of mites, looks entirely normal.

I love great ending stories with new beginnings. I hope he learned his lesson of the dangers out there and its more comfy to be home. :)

As promised, a couple of pictures:

This one shows one of the small water dishes that can be had from PetSmart, for a size comparison:
riker-2013-05-13-01_zps905c85e8.jpg

Here is a good closeup of him:
riker-2013-05-13-03_zpsa0c5e6d8.jpg

So you can see he hasn't changed all that much from his previous pictures:
riker-2013-01-13-03.jpg

Now we're going to leave him be for a week, other than to feed him in situ, so he can relax from being stressed over 1) the last four months on the lam, and 2) being captured by the cat.

Margaret took up the heat tape we'd had down for him whilst he was AWOL, and lo and behold: he had shed sometime during the four months! I am amazed.

Riker has fed three times since his rescue, and he's back up to the weight he was before he went AWOL. I'll post pictures again after his next shed. Thanks for everyone's good wishes and thoughts!

Riker decided he didn't like how his enclosure was arranged, so he rearranged the "furniture". And the "carpet":

riker-rearrange-2013-06-21-1_zpsfbc36f2a.jpg

For folks just setting up their enclosures, you can see the heat tape under the sterilite bin. Up next to Riker, you can see the probes for the HydroFarm thermostat and Zoologic thermometer. This is the setup we're using for all four snakes, except that the other three are in aquariums. No heat lamps or anything.

Anyway, here's another image of Riker's destruction:

riker-rearrange-2013-06-21-2_zpsa40896a3.jpg

With the paper towel getting into his water dish, it wicked out all the water and the whole of the towels were soaked. That must've angered him some, because when Margaret went to clean up and rearrange, he started acting vicious:

riker-ferocious-2013-06-21-1_zps47d43a28.jpg

riker-ferocious-2013-06-21-2_zpsd1e3b8be.jpg

For such a cute lil guy, he can sure get an attitude!

riker-ferocious-2013-06-21-3_zps2da65d4b.jpg

He has known the outside world and experienced life is hardcore, lol! So he decided to turn into a juvee terror, lmao! He is so freaken cute!

Here's a picture to show how much being AWOL affected Riker. Rhubarb (Margaret's snake) and Riker were approximately the same size before he escaped. Now, though...

riker-rhubarb-sizes-2013-07-01-1_zpsbc4fb659.jpg

Yes, there is a bit of forced perspective, but the picture is accurate. Here's another image showing the difference:

riker-rhubarb-sizes-2013-07-01-2_zps046394a5.jpg

Poor Riker, he may be smaller but his adventure stories will be greater. Rhubarb is a bright beauty!

His stories will indeed be greater, but unfortunately we don't know anyone who can translate parseltongue. :D

In this photo, Rhu is just a few days out of shed. She's a pied bloodred, so her colors are only going to intensify.

Well, now... that was interesting. I got Riker out this morning, weighed him (33.3 grams) and fed him. We knew he should have been about ready to shed, but we've seen no signs so far.

After I fed him I put him back in his tank and went to bed (I work nights). Started hearing these noises; thought the cat was being rambunctous and yelled at him. Kept hearing the noises. Sat up and looked, and Riker had been rearranging his furniture. Hmmm. Laid back down, and he was still at it. This worried me, because he'd just eaten the largest pinky he'd ever taken - 4.5 grams. He'd been taking 3.5-4 grams before now. So I got up and opened his tank and looked in. The little bugger was shedding!

Got him out of the tank and helped him finish his shed, for which he seemed grateful (can a snake be grateful?) Put him back, settled him in. Checked the shed - complete, with eyecaps and tailtip.

This was a complete surprise. We never saw him go blue or dull and dusty looking. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Back