• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake got Burned - HELP!!!!

It doesn't actually look as bad as I thought it might from the email you sent me. The tail looks kind of bad, but tails are expendable if necessary. I would think the ointment will keep it moist to assist in shedding.

I have used a cream with silver in it for burns - seems to work well in people. There was also an ointment many years ago called Furacin, or something similar. I don't know if they still make it or if it would have a different brand name in another country. It worked great on burns in people too. If you can find either one, you might alternate it with what you are using.

As I mentioned in the email, don't be surprised if it goes into one shed after another to heal the injury. Just try to feed in between sheds.

Good luck!

kathylove said:
It doesn't actually look as bad as I thought it might from the email you sent me. The tail looks kind of bad, but tails are expendable if necessary. I would think the ointment will keep it moist to assist in shedding.
They burns looked severe when I first saw them,and that when the "panic" set in,the pics i posted were taken about 2days later,and there was great improvement.

kathylove said:
I have used a cream with silver in it for burns - seems to work well in people. There was also an ointment many years ago called Furacin, or something similar. I don't know if they still make it or if it would have a different brand name in another country. It worked great on burns in people too. If you can find either one, you might alternate it with what you are using..
I'll contact the local pharmacy & see if they have Furacin,or something similar,I know that we have band-aids with silver in it,so I'm convinced we should have a cream available as well...
Thanks again for all the help Kathy.
I will keep this thread updated constantly. :cheers:

diamondlil said:
looks like you are doing a good job, will you be keeping this snake or giving it back to the original owner?

Hi Janine,I'm honestly thinking about keeping her,I've only been looking after her for about 2 weeks now,but have grown quite attached.
I have already fixed the owners cage up with a new heating pad,thermometers & regulators,so if i do give her back,I am convinced that she wont get burnt again..

PS: I WANNA KEEP HER!

somehow I'm not surprised, Bryan! I can't believe the heatpad shorted out like that, the owner must be so upset even though it was a total accident

diamondlil said:
somehow I'm not surprised, Bryan! I can't believe the heatpad shorted out like that, the owner must be so upset even though it was a total accident

Low quality heat pad,maybe just a "dud",who know,I replaced it with one if the top brands here in SA,so the chances are slim to none for that happening again.Accidents do happen,and I think I was more upset with the owner that anything else. :grin01:

kathylove said:
There was also an ointment many years ago called Furacin, or something similar. I don't know if they still make it or if it would have a different brand name in another country. It worked great on burns in people too. If you can find either one, you might alternate it with what you are using.

Hi Kathy,I have found a pharmacy close to home that does still stock furacin,so i will be collecting a tube or two tonight after work.

(I think the pharmacist thinks I'm nuts.He asked what I would be using it for,and after telling him....there was a long awkward silence before he said "riiiiigggghhhht") :crazy02:

Update 21st August 2006

She finally shed,and has also had a meal.
The burns dont look as bad as they did,here's some pictures
EPSN0029.jpg

EPSN0028.jpg

EPSN0027.jpg

EPSN0026.jpg

BUT:
there's concern on her tail,she didnt shed all the way,and on closer inspection,i could see that there were still some "raw" injuries
Here's some pictures
EPSN0025.jpg

EPSN0024.jpg

EPSN0020.jpg

CopyofEPSN0020.jpg

On the local forums it was suggested using a toothpick and remove as much of the excess skin as possible,but the black part of the tail is too small,and with the injury on the tip of her tail,I didnt wanna risk hurting her any more.
I did try soaking the tail in some water to try and soften the black tip,but have had no luck.
I have also put on another small dose of Bacroban and Furacin (alternating),and she is back in her cage.

:shrugs:

Thanks Oobie Doobie Noobie.

I am not going to try anything with the tail just yet,for now I am applying Furacin and Bactroban twice daily on alternating days.

I'm choosing not to irritate the open wounds by trying to fix the tail,if the wound wasnt there,then I would have contemplated using the toothpick idea to remove the skin.
I'm also still applying the ointment to the tail tip,in the hopes of softning it before her next shed.
Since she is eating,I am relieved that the burns obviously could not have caused an internal injuries. (I assume).
All i can do is hope that the wound heals and that her tail will be right as rain before her next shed.

:cheers:

Update 28th August 2006

Have been using the Bactroban & the Furacin,so far so good.
The tip of the tail hasnt come off yet.
The pics I'm posting shows that there's still some discolouration,and some disfiguration,from the extent of the injuries.

I have no unprinted newpaper left so I am using normal newspaper (for the meantime)
She's eating well,and ate a mouse on saturday with no problems at all
All the wounds except for her tail have mended quite nicely.

Here's the latest pics of her tail

EPSN0028.jpg

EPSN0027.jpg

EPSN0026.jpg

@ Janine (Diamondlil)
She's become a member of my collection.
:cheers:

Update 31st August 2006

Last night when I got home,and took her out of her cage to give her another dosage of bactoban and Furacin saw that she's going into "blue" again,her last shed was just over a week ago,so Im guessing that the shedding is still due to the injury and the fact that she is eating healthy.

:crazy02:

Sorry to hear about your snakes burns, but it looks like they are all healing nicely, apart from the tail tip but by what other members have said that doesn't seem to be life threatening.

Plus she is eating still so she doesn't seem stressed at all. Good job with your healing process

Thanks for the compliment Infinite.
I will be updating (with pics) again on Monday or Tuesday hopefully.My Camera is on loan.. :shrugs:

She's looking really amazing,even while in blue.

Thanks Janine,
She is doing so well,for obvious reasons there's still some concern about the tip of her tail,but that seems to be the ONLY remaining problem from the burns.
She's putting on some weight (not sure how much),but it IS clealy visible.She's on the mend,and that's just great. :crazy02:

Wow, thats some tail. I am glad to hear that you are taking as much care of her as you can, she'll thank you for it ^^. I am also happy that she is now part of your collection. Many congratulations to you and I hope that she continues to improve! :wavey:

-Grace

Back