• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake Throwing Up Pinkies

I'll be ordering that Nutribac this week. Just gotta get some money first.

I had no idea she was about to shed. Her eyes weren't cloudy or anything.

After they go cloudy they clear up and shed within a week so it can be hard to miss. Just make sure no feeding for 10 days and you get some nutribac its really important.

I doubt there's anybody on this forum who hasn't missed noticing a shed cycle, especially when new to the hobby or with light colored snakes. After you've had yours a while, you'll get better at noticing the signs, even if they're subtle. Like Nanci said, don't ever feed this one in blue again. Some handle food fine then, some regurge every time. Given the rough going so far, it's best to err on the side of caution.

Hopefully your baby will be well. Just don't rush things, get the Nutribac ASAP, and follow regurge protocol carefully. (That includes no handling during the 10-day rest period.) Best of luck, and keep us posted.

I just want to thank everyone for ya'lls help. This forum has been a god send. I researched some stuff before I got her, but didn't plan on her being sick. And you guys have really helped me.

I'm going to get the Nutribac as soon as I can. I'm also taking a trip to the vet just to get her checked out.

I'll keep you guys updated on her progress. Do you know of any good website that I can get frozen pinkies on? Shes been eating live ones, but I want to switch her.

The mouse factory is one I know people here like, but there are a ton others just google mice for sale. I usually just get mine at shows their a lot cheaper that way.

I've purchased from RodentPro and been pretty happy. I had one problem with sizes in my last order; the adults were under the weight specified. I contacted the company, they apologized, and credited me for the undersized mice. I've always been happy with pinky and fuzzy mice from them. It's well worth it to buy online if you don't have a show near you. (I don't. *sniff* ) Even with the shipping, it's less expensive to buy a single bag of pinkies than to pay pet store prices.

I see you are in Indiana. RodentPro is in southern Indiana, near Evansville, I think. Maybe it is close enough to drive to? They also go to a few shows - check their site. Maybe it will be cheaper to have them shipped within the state, compared to buying from a distant company. I have bought from them many times and have been happy.

Well I took Amun to the vet today. She is healthy all besides her throwing up.

They gave her a shot, and I have to take her back on Sunday to get another one, then try to feed her on Wed. If she keeps that down we'll go from there, but if not they want me to start her on a liquid diet.

The vet is pretty confident that these shots of antibiotics will work and Amun will be eating again in now time!

I took Amun back to the vet for her evaluation and they told me to feed her. They gave me some Nurti-Cal to put on her pinkies. She's so tiny now I have to do it or she is going to die, so they tell me.

So I'm getting a pinkie today and hopefully she will keep it down.

Has the vet actually used Nutri Cal for baby snakes? Or is it something he has only used on larger snakes?

I experimented with it years ago as a tube feeding diet and managed to kill a few babies with it. I think maybe it was just too rich - I probably gave them more than they could handle. I didn't use it long enough to say not to ever use it. But I would be very cautious, and only use a tiny bit until you see how it is tolerated. And I would probably just try a pinkie head or half pink for the first few meals after a regurge.

Hope it works out ok!

I fed her a half a pinkie. He said to use just alittle tiny bit on the pinkie. so I didn't use very much. She seems ok so far, its half way down her body now. If she keeps this down I'm gonna feed her again in about a week. I don't want over do it since it has been so long since she has eaten.

Just remember to feed half pinkies for awhile it takes them time to readjust and build up the enzymes they need to digest a full meal. I say at leat 4 more tiny feedings before moving back up to a whole and you should be good:)

Yes, a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that a couple of successful meals mean recovery. It really takes quite a few meals. And when you ARE ready to try a whole pink, cut it in half and feed both halves a few times. Then the digestive juices can surround both pieces and it will be easier to digest than a whole, uncut pink.

Good luck!

Back