• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

soon to-be snake owner - Germany

marike

daydreamer
Hello,

my name is Marike and I live in Northern Germany. Snakes have been fascinating to me since I can remember and now I've got my own flat far away from parents and out of the students dormitory. I found this forum during my research about corn snakes and I love it.

In a week or two I'll get two of these fantastic animals and I've been busy for a while now to decorate the terrarium. I'm so exited that I see dekoration material and stuff to make hiding places where ever I am. Lucky me that I am crazy already so it can't get any worse :dancer:

Anyway I didn't want to wait with introducing myself till the two guys arrive.
So here I am, have a nice day.:wavey:

So long, marike

PS: I'm really sorry for any wrong spelling or grammar. I'm a bit out of practice.

I don't think anyones got 100% perfect grammar and spelling. I know I have my flaws. Its good your setting everything up before you get the snakes, its allways better for acclimation to have the tank fully set up and ready to go. So the snakes can come home, and immidiately start de-stressing in an undisturbed enviorment.

Hope to see pics of your snakes when you get them :).

Welcome to the forums!

HI! Glad to see someone from Germany. This place is a great place to meet folks from all over. Show pics as soon as you can :)

Hi,
I am just as new as you and haven't picked up my corn yet but will hopefully be bringing him home on Monday. Just thought I would say hi too = )

Hello Marike, welcome.
Two questions:
What kind of snakes are you getting?
How do you pronounce your name?

Hi,

I wasn't expecting so many replies. Thanks to all of you.:)

@necromantica : Yes, immidiate de-stressing is what I had in mind. My problem is, that I am just able to decorate in my mind and on the living room floor, because the terrarium hasn't arrived jet. I just got an email that it will MAYBE delivered next tuesday. :blowhead:I want it now! :crying:

@alan: I will get two about 1.5 years old corn snakes. An amel motley and a ghost. At least the previous owner says so and they're looking pretty much like it, as far as I can tell.
My name, um...
it's like Mary with stress on the second part and then ke with "e" pronounced like the "i" in kill, I think.
Did I describe it nearly understandable or are you completely confused now. (If so: Sorry, but it's hard to explain):rolleyes:

Welcome, Marike!
I am also in the process of setting up a habitat for a snake. we hope to have him in about 2 weeks. I have found this board to be very helpful, I hope you do to.

My name, um...
it's like Mary with stress on the second part and then ke with "e" pronounced like the "i" in kill, I think.
Did I describe it nearly understandable or are you completely confused now. (If so: Sorry, but it's hard to explain):rolleyes:

Quite understandable, thanks. I didn't know how to pronounce it in my head when I read your posts, my head kept trying different ways.
It's nice that you're getting two partially grown animals, no hatchling worries. Are they in good shape, well cared for?

Hi alan,

yes, as far as I can tell they're healthy. I am quite bad at estimating and the owner doesn't know there exact length, maybe 70cm. I'll measure it when they are here.
But he did care for them very much. His hobbies were corn snakes and bearded dragons and now he runs out of space in his house and decided to give up the snake-part. I was roundabout the 30th aspirant who applied for them but nobody before was good enough. One boy wanted to take them to school every day.
And therefore the snakes where still there when I called nearly a month later.

So it was luck... or destiny :rolleyes:.

I wish a nice weekend (to all of you, of course),
marike

Welcome!.:wavey: I think you are going to be a good snake owner just by the way you are prepping everything ahead of time. As far as the grammar, no worries, I am one of the worst.:dunce: Thank goodness for my wife and spell check. Otherwise everyone would still be trying to figure out what the heck I was typing.

Hello,

thanks a lot.

I think it's a matter of course to get everything ready before the snakes move in. When you're having a baby you will get crib and diapers before it arrives, too. :roflmao: What an analogy.

Anyway, I am so looking forward to having them here finally, I can't await it!:blowhead:

Greetings,
marike

Finally my viv arrived. The wrapping was damaged and the lock I ordered was nowhere to find (got lost, I think).
But I've got it now and so I can start to make it "home sweet home":rofl:

By the way: wth is the difference between vivarium and terrarium?:dunce:

Good night,
marike

By the way: wth is the difference between vivarium and terrarium?:dunce:

I don't think so. People here (forum) always seem to use the word vivarium. I'm from Belgium and out here it's called terrarium. Vivarium is used (in Belgium and I think the rest of europe...?) when you have an enclosure that is more a miniature habitat with plants and water and all that stuff, like you get for instance with the little poison frogs. (that what they are called in english? the colourfull rainforest thingies? :))

This is just my guess, may be right or not, but I think people mostly use vivarium because it is easier to shorten. Viv works better than most any way I can think of to shorten Terrarium.

got them

Yippee!

We brought the two little guys home this afternoon. I took some pictures, weighed them (73 and 75 gram:bird:) and then released them into their new home. They strayed around for a while, but I think they settled now. I thought corns hide immediately after arriving:confused:.

I've got two questions:
1) The previous owner told me to feed them in 3 days, because they where last fed nearly two weeks ago. Is that ok or should I wait 7 days anyway (my books do say so to let them destress)?

2) I think Amel motley and ghost are the names for their colors, but I'm just a newbie. Is it right?
motley.JPG

ghost.JPG

Thanks for looking,
the new snake owner marike

Back