• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

South Mountain Reptiles vs. Local pet store?

amanda007

Read, read, read!
Well I finally have a chance to get a corn snake! I have been an admirer for many years, but married a man who was afraid of snakes. (After seeing that, when they're babies, they look more like earthworms than anything, he was like "Why don't we get one?":laugh:)

So, there is a pet store in town that sells them for $50, and right now they even have what looks like a Snow corn (which is my current favorite). However, I found South Mountain Reptiles online, and they really seem to know their stuff. I emailed them a question and they answered in mere hours, and were really helpful.

I have read bad and good things about getting snakes shipped to you. You get more selection, but the snake goes through a lot of stress. However, I live in West Texas, so I think that SMR is actually within a day's drive, so that means minimal stress on my snake.

What have everyone's experiences been like in this area? I'd love some advice.

(And on a side note: My husband is infatuated with the Blizzard. Which is a little pricey. I'm just afraid of spending $100 on our first snake; what if we do something wrong?)

I would definitely go with SMR over a pet store any day. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Don at South Mountain Reptiles, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him if I were you. I will very likely be buying some snakes from him soon.

You are right that the biggest difference is price. However, you get what you pay for. With pet store snakes, they can be infected with mites or other internal parasites, which would cost you more money. (You'd either have to get vet treatment for the parasites or prevent a mite for mites.) Not only that, but I've had some correspondence with Don, and I have never been disappointed. He will help anybody, even if they're not a customer of his. :)

Good luck, and I hope you get what you're looking for! And definitely don't forget the pictures. :D

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76317

There you can find a list of breeders that are members of this site and in your state. :) South Mountain Reptiles would be an excellent choice, as would any of the breeders listed here. Frankly, I would skip the pet store, unless they can provide feeding records, health guarantees, house the snakes separately, etc. There are some excellent reptile specialty shops, however, most pet stores are a poor source for obtaining a snake.

On a side note, could someone explain to me what the "1.0"'s etc. mean in everyone's signature?

Thanks. I'm a newbie, after all. :shrugs:

Do not buy from a petstore. You have no clue how terrible most keep their animals in there, you don't know that its feeding well, and being cohabbed in most pet stores allows the transmission of mites, parasites, and infectious bacterias.

Shipping is actually usually less stressful than a car ride because their packed tight in a dark snug box where they feel safer. Don is a great guy along with all the breeders on here so definitely go through an established breeder and not a pet store:)

I would definitely, 100% get your snake from SMR. Don is one of the nicest breeders I've ever talked to and he's been in the business for years and definitely knows his stuff. He also has beautiful animals. I've gotten 2 from him and my friend has gotten 4 and they all exceed expectations. :)

Also, the numbers are referring to sex. It goes male.female.unknown. So, 1.0 is 1 male, etc.

I have bought many many snakes from Don at SMR. I would not hesitate one minute to buy from him. The problem with pet stores is the people working there are not invested in you or the snake. They may or may not know what they are talking about. The snake may or may not be healthy.

Don dreams of snakes in his sleep. He lives snakes 24/7. If you have a question, call him on the phone, he’ll give you all the time you need. His number is on his web site.

On a side note, could someone explain to me what the "1.0"'s etc. mean in everyone's signature?

Thanks. I'm a newbie, after all. :shrugs:

Don is a great guy to deal with and has been shipping snakes for as long as anybody. The stress to ship is minimal the way he does it. He will also guarantee his snakes like most on this forum.
You asked so 1.0 is a male snake, 0.1 is female, 2.3 is 2 males and 3 females does that help?
John

Don Soderberg of SMR is one of the greatest guys to do business with. He sells quality animals, that he stands firmly behind. He even guarantees that if you don't like the animal he sends you, he will replace it with another, for just about any reason. He has just about the greatest warranties in the business and I have and will continue, to bring him my business!

I'm not saying that you can't get a good snake, from a pet store. I can guarantee that you will not get the warranty and service that you get from Don.

Good Luck!

Wayne

I have bought from SMR before and would buy again, I would always choose breeder vrs petstore. Shipping isnt to bad as long as the animal goes threw decent weather.

SMR hands down.....
look at it this way, you are choosing between a place that gets their animals from heavens-knows-where and may or may not practice good husbandy over a guy that is in this because cornsnakes are his passion...not fish or birds or rabbits or allll those other things that pet shops sell as well as corns....

when you specialize in one specific species it is because that is what you love the most. And when you love something, you want everything to be perfect.

I am just a hobbiest breeder, and I dream of corns constantly....who just shed, who I need to take a pic of...who to breed with who.....I dream of them during the day and when I am asleep....they are my addiction and obsession :)

Well this certainly clears it up! Lol. You guys are helpful, I appreciate it.

Just curious tho, if I buy through SMR, will I be told the sex of the snake? I'm not planning on breeding at all, but I'd like to give him/her a sex-appropriate name lol.

Don will tell you the sex of the snake or you can request one or the other. He will also tell you all about it's parents if that is of interest to you.

Let alone that... Don guarantees his snakes, ..LooK!!!

Our Satisfaction Guarantee

If you are dissatisfied for any reason 7 (seven) months after receiving your animal, you may return it for a replacement. We are the first in this industry to offer this type of Warranty.
Please read all terms and conditions of this Warranty before placing any orders.

Warranty

We have been in the reptile breeding and shipping business for over 30 years and have provided thousands of customers with the finest in captive bred colubrids and boids.
South Mountain Reptiles is so sure you will be satisfied with the quality of your SMR reptile that we offer an unprecedented warranty.
Upon receipt, if for any reason you are not satisfied with the reptile(s) we sent, you may return them within 48 hours for replacement or credit. Return shipping expenses are the responsibility of the customer unless prearranged otherwise.
Additionally, we offer the following. After seven months, the colors and markings of your reptile will have changed due to maturing. At any time after seven months, if you are dissatisfied for any reason, you may return it for a replacement.
Replacement animal(s), if available, will be the same subspecies and type originally ordered unless otherwise mutually agreed upon. Size and age of replacement animal(s) may vary. In the event we do not have a suitable replacement animal(s), a hatchling of the same subspecies and type will be sent to you at the next earliest hatch. Only healthy animals may be returned. You are responsible for all shipping expenses and for the health of the returned animal(s) as verified by our Veterinarian. Veterinary examination will be at our expense. Replacement animal(s) will not be shipped until verification of the good health of the returned animal(s) is verified.

SMR for Sure

You can not go wrong with Don at SMR. Over half of my animals came from Don and I will likely add more this and next year from him. As suggested, Don has been working with snakes since Moses was a boy and he is great at it. I am not sure I have ever met a person that is nicer or more helpful. If he doesn't have an answer, he points me to someone who will.

His animals are of excellent health and shipping stress is minimal, the animals are packaged properly and shipped for early delivery. He has a huge selection of animals to choose from, be sure to tell him what you want, he has a ton more morphs available than what is seen on his page.

Good luck and let us know what you decided.

dc

All but one of my snakes have been shipped to me, breeders from this forum and SMR as well. What I really appreciate is the personalization and extra time I receive from purchasing from a breeder direct. The snakes all come well packaged and always have arrived safely. As far as SMR is concerned, whichever snake you would choose from Don, expect great quality.
Good luck

I agree, 98% of the time I'd choose Don over a local pet shop. Unless your pet shop is VERY knowledgeable and is a legit shop, they're probably more concerned about making a buck than for the snake and making sure you're set up right.

And corns are hardy animals and easy to care for. If you can afford $100, then you shouldn't worry about not being able to care for it. It'll do just fine for you with the proper set up, and coming from someone like Don will be a nice healthy eater.

Back