• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

South Mountain Reptiles vs. Local pet store?

I "get" that you have already gotten the idea. But, please. as someone who considers her reptiles her kids...buy from a breeder. And Don S. is an awfully good breeder to pick! They will eat, they will not have diseases, and you will go on to many happy years as a snake hobbyist.
-Paige

I've bought snakes from a lot of GREAT people, I think Don as SMR had got to be my all time favorite. He is hands down a fantastic person to deal with and his animals are top notch. He even had a flat rate of $35 shipping, which is amazing! Most packages usually cost $50-$60 to ship. This is a pet that you can have for 10+ years with very little expense, the $35 shipping fee is insignificant compared to the better quality animal and much more knowledgeable "tech support" with your new hatching.Hands down, South Mountain Reptiles.

Thanks everyone!

All of the overwhelmingly nice things you have to say about Don has really made me feel he is someone I can trust. We will be ordering a corn from him this weekend, it's just a matter of narrowing it down to just one!

We're between a Snow, an Amelanistic, a Creamsicle, or a Blizzard. My hubby LOVES the Blizzard, but I prefer the Snow or Amelanistic. Besides, we'll probably end up with two within the next 1-2 years!

Haha probably. At least not until we get a nice, fancy, sliding-door viv built. Perhaps a nice bookshelf with room for two?..........Or three?

Bins. You'll end up with bins eventually. I did a multi-unit set of vivs... and I *still* have two snakes in bins.

I started with 1 in 2007.... now I have 12.

Oh my!

Bins certainly seem convenient if you have lots. But for now, since snakey is going to be tucked into a corner of my living room, I'd like to go for aesthetics over functionality. Until I'm so frustrated with it that I give in to the bins! Lol.

I have a single, huge, 50g display viv for my first guy in my living room. The rest don't have so roomy a house. >_> sssshhh... don't let them know!

Don dreams of snakes in his sleep. He lives snakes 24/7. If you have a question, call him on the phone, he’ll give you all the time you need. His number is on his web site.

I can't say this for sure, but I think Don even sheds his skin LOL.

You won't go wrong buying from Don. He's a great guy to deal with. Great choice!!!

Another Happy SMR Customer

SMR for sure! From another happy SMR customer. I had a very good experience with Don at SMR with buying my very first corn snake. I would definitely recommend buying from him over a pet store! That's a no-brainer for me!

I've bought snakes from a lot of GREAT people, I think Don as SMR had got to be my all time favorite. He is hands down a fantastic person to deal with and his animals are top notch. He even had a flat rate of $35 shipping, which is amazing! Most packages usually cost $50-$60 to ship. This is a pet that you can have for 10+ years with very little expense, the $35 shipping fee is insignificant compared to the better quality animal and much more knowledgeable "tech support" with your new hatching.Hands down, South Mountain Reptiles.

Does Don still have the $ 35 shipping ? Or was that several years ago ? Just curious. That would be execellent if he still had it today.

We're between a Snow, an Amelanistic, a Creamsicle, or a Blizzard. My hubby LOVES the Blizzard, but I prefer the Snow or Amelanistic. Besides, we'll probably end up with two within the next 1-2 years!

I purchased a Blizzard baby girl from Don just a few months ago...

Does Don still have the $ 35 shipping ? Or was that several years ago ? Just curious. That would be execellent if he still had it today.

He still does have that 35.00 flat rate for shipping. Awesome aint it

Do not buy from a petstore. You have no clue how terrible most keep their animals in there, you don't know that its feeding well, and being cohabbed in most pet stores allows the transmission of mites, parasites, and infectious bacterias.

Shipping is actually usually less stressful than a car ride because their packed tight in a dark snug box where they feel safer. Don is a great guy along with all the breeders on here so definitely go through an established breeder and not a pet store:)

As the owner of a pet store, I have to take exception to this post. I have bred snakes for a lot longer than I've been part of this website. I worked construction for over a decade to save up and follow my dreams of opening a pet shop that did things correctly. Nothing (but baby leos and beardies) are co-habbed, nothing has mites, nothing doesn't feed regularly on frozen/thawed mice, unless noted. I currently breed a dozen species (and several morphs of many of these), all of which are offered far below typical retail in my store at any time. I know which animals are fussy feeders, which ones are flighty, even which ones defecate in their water bowls. I not only know the genetics of most of the parent animals, I can hand them to you. <steps off soapbox>

That said, my advice is buy from Don. I have probably swapped over a hundred animals with him now. When he was interested in a line of pure locality okeetees, I sent him every w/c animal I had. Every year, he sent a check that exceeded my expectations for 1/2 the hatchlings. After opening the store, I now take my payments in hatchling morphs I don't have. When something grows up to be really special in my collection and it doesn't fit into my breeding plans, I send it to Don. When I have had trouble with one of his animals, there's a Fed-Ex box at my shop the next day with the same (or better) animal in there. His reputation is beyond reproach for a reason.

There are a few stores such as Tim Criswell's House of Reptiles in Oregon that I believe do reptiles better than I. Great pet shops exist, but sadly, they are not the norm. I'm finding out the hard way that a "mom and pop pet store" is not a lucrative endeavor. So if you have a good one nearby, please support it! They need to stay around.

You know your the exception though;) Most do not work at a pet store because it is their passion, most know little about the species that come and go out of their store, and most cohab. Thats why I said most in my OP- not all. I wholesale to my fav mom and pop pet store here because they are passionate, knowledgeable, and care for all their animals based on the animals individual need, and not out of necessity:) Chip you rock, but petco and petsmart do not.

Don is the man! Half my collection is made up of SMR stock. His snakes are high quality animals. IF you do have a problem, Don is more than happy to make it right. Buy from SMR, you will not regret it.

Scott

Don's the man. I could go go Ground Round for a steak, or I could go to Ruth's Chris. Don has equals (very few), but he has no superiors. He's top-tier all the way!

My first corn is from Don, he was very helpful given I didnt know what the heck I was doing. She is probably the most well mannered snake there is. She is 3 now, and stunning.

My next corn will be from Don again, Im just not sure what morph yet.

Back