• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sunspot corns

Yep, i know what you're saying is right but both times i've bred these unrelated animals i've had exactly 50% of the clutch turn out sunspots which suggested to me & others that something akin to a co-dom effect was happening. I really don't mind what is happening as long as these cute little guys keep popping out of eggs.....lol...:licklips:

Two pairings don't confirm a codominant trait (though in reality, you would require two different phenotypes for it to even be codominant). For a long time it was thought that Motley & Stripe were codominant, not allelic...It has since been proven otherwise. I produced a whole clutch of Cubes from perfect Stripe parents, which completely nixes the whole codominant/dominant theory anyway.

Yep, i know what you're saying is right but both times i've bred these unrelated animals i've had exactly 50% of the clutch turn out sunspots which suggested to me & others that something akin to a co-dom effect was happening. I really don't mind what is happening as long as these cute little guys keep popping out of eggs.....lol...:licklips:

Couldn't agree more mate and I have a loads of motleys here too,just
think sunspot golddusts,opals,lavenders :dancer: :cheers:

Ooooooooook...When you sell a bunch of het Motley Stripes as Sunspots or "pure" Motleys and later on people come back POed at you for mislabeling them...Don't want to see you crying about it. :rolleyes:

You can't deny years of breeding over what a few clutches have produced, which is to be expected anyway since Stripe and Motley are allelic. Do you understand the difference between allelic and codominant? Obviously you aren't using the term codominant correctly.

Ooooooooook...When you sell a bunch of het Motley Stripes as Sunspots or "pure" Motleys and later on people come back POed at you for mislabeling them...Don't want to see you crying about it. :rolleyes:

Well anyone buying these from me are told the parentage & what i think about them & then it's up to them to make their own mind up about their genetics...

Well anyone buying these from me are told the parentage & what i think about them & then it's up to them to make their own mind up about their genetics...

That's it mate, me thinks someone's a little jealous. :crying:

bribrian said:

That's good to know; but why exactly are you ignoring what's been proven? Cubes have been around for quite a while. While yes, we aren't sure why they pop up randomly from Stripes, but it's been proven that Motley & Stripe are allelic and that Cube is from Stripe, not Motley.

me thinks someone's a little jealous

:roflmao: You crack me up! I had an entire clutch of these things hatch this year from a pair of perfect Stripes...and I was disappointed. Didn't even get to keep my 1.2 planned keepers from the clutch because all the dang things ended up being Cubed (I don't care for Cubed)!

How can I put this.

cube.
Main Entry: 1cube
Pronunciation: \ˈkyüb\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin cubus, from Greek kybos die, cube
Date: 1551
1 a: the regular solid of six equal square sides — see volume table b: something shaped like a cube <ice cube> c: cubicle 2

Spot.
Main Entry: 1spot
Pronunciation: \ˈspät\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English; akin to Middle Dutch spotte stain, speck, Old Norse spotti small piece
Date: 13th century
1: a taint on character or reputation : fault <the only spot on the family name>
2 a: a small area visibly different (as in color, finish, or material) from the surrounding area b (1): an area marred or marked (as by dirt) (2): a circumscribed surface lesion of disease (as measles) or decay <spots of rot> <rust spots on a leaf> c: a conventionalized design used on playing cards to distinguish the suits and indicate values
3: an object having a specified number of spots or a specified numeral on its surface
4: a small quantity or amount : bit
5 a: a particular place, area, or part b: a small extent of space
6plural usually spot : a small croaker (Leiostomus xanthurus) of the Atlantic coast with a black spot behind the opercula
7 a: a particular position (as in an organization or a hierarchy) b: a place or appearance on an entertainment program
8: spotlight
9: a position usually of difficulty or embarrassment
10: a brief announcement or advertisement broadcast between scheduled radio or television programs
11: a brief segment or report on a broadcast especially of news
— on the spot
1: at once : immediately
2: at the place of action
3 a: in a responsible or accountable position b: in a difficult or trying situation

There are many people marketing sunspot corns as there is a differance between them and cubes,open your eyes.
http://www.halloffamereptiles.com/corn.htm
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64777&highlight=sunspot&page=3
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30129&highlight=sunspot
There is also one in Kathy Loves cornsnake manuel,are all these people
"misinterpreting them"????
If you don't like cubes or variety's of them,then kindly don't post on threads
which involve them,if you can't say something nice :rolleyes:

They are genetically the same. Notice in this link that you posted he says "cubed or sunspot." I didn't say the didn't exist, I said they are Cubes and Cubes are Stripes; that Sunspot was the original name for Cubes...However, I also said that Sunspots seems to have been selectively bred for a more round appearance of the pattern. I think you need to learn a bit of history about these mutations before you start spouting opinion as fact...And why ignore what's been proven? :shrugs:

Wanna know what else? Some of the Cubes in my Stripe x Stripe clutch would qualify as "Sunspots" (if I chose to market them that way) because they have nice, neat perfect circles.
:roflmao:

TripleMoonsExotics, thanks for the clarifier on why all the "sunspots" I've seen are amel. (I can't quote for some reason.) Are there any special trade names for cubes of other colors? Moonspots for cubed aneries, maybe? lol (my smilies won't work either.) I joined the addiction in February and my learning curve hasn't quite encompassed all the names yet.)

TripleMoonsExotics, thanks for the clarifier on why all the "sunspots" I've seen are amel. (I can't quote for some reason.) Are there any special trade names for cubes of other colors? Moonspots for cubed aneries, maybe? lol (my smilies won't work either.) I joined the addiction in February and my learning curve hasn't quite encompassed all the names yet.)

No special trade names that I know of. Very few still call them Sunspots. I think a lot of that has to do with personal preference (I think over in the UK it's more common to still see them called Sunspots) and if someone's been working with selective breeding a line. Those that have been in Cornsnakes long enough to remember the original name seem to use the trade names interchangeably (like Kjun in that other thread) regardless of morph.

(I think over in the UK it's more common to still see them called Sunspots) .

Wrong, Brian is the only guy I know with them in the uk. I think
you'll find corns with that spot pattern likely caused by the
stripe gene are called sunspots the world over.
Did you look at the links?

Not to barge in on your arguing...

But I like the snake!

/argue on

Thank you,that's why is was post here, pity some know it all
megalomaniac had to jump on the thread,saying that looking
at previous posts I would take it personal.I think someone need
a little attention. :crazy02:

I think you'll find corns with that spot pattern likely caused by the stripe gene are called sunspots the world over. Did you look at the links?

Read post #29 & #31. Sunspot/Cube is used interchangeably in the US. You're own links show that.

The spot pattern is not caused by Stripe per say, but it only appears in snakes who are Stripe (or het Motley Stripe). It's not codominant, and it's not dominant. Cubes have been produced from perfect Stripe parents with no history of Cube clutches.

I'm going to steal a quote from KJ and adjust it a bit for this situation...Because when he said it originally it cracked me up and is so true in this case...

No offense, but clapping your hands, squeezing your eyes shut, and hoping REALLY hard will not make everything that's been proven as far as Cubes disappear. You can continue living in la la land about it, but I wouldn't post incorrect information, because you will be corrected.

Thanks for all the rep points guys and the pm's.
I believe it was an old Chinese Emperor said "a picture speaks
a thousand words".

straight-jacket.gif

I still happen to like "cube" and "sunspot" to describe a certain stripe look ;) (just like "hurricane" describes a certain motley look)

Codominant means that the phenotype of the heterozygote is different than either homozygote (in between). Ie, if "RR" is a red flower and "rr" is a mutant that makes the flower white, "Rr" would be pink if the genes were codominant.

So, if you're getting 50/50 then the genes would be allelic, not codominant

In corns, ultra is codominant (and allelic) with amel. So an ultra corn x amel = 100% ultramels! And a normal corn het ultra x ultra = 50% ultra, 50% normal het ultra. But a normal corn het amel x ultra = 50% ultramels, 50% normal het ultra!
Motley and stripe, on the other hand (and sunspot/cube are a special kind of stripe), are alleles too, but motley is dominant to stripe! Let's call the wild-type pattern "W", and motley "m" and stripe "s". So a wild-type snake can be either WW, Wm, or Ws, a motley-type snake could be "mm" or "ms" (properly written "Ms" since the motley is dom in this pairing) and a stripe must be "ss".
Sunspot is not "codominant" with motley, because if it were, a "pure" motley x "pure" sunspot cross would be 100% snakes that looked halfway between motley and sunspot (I don't even know how that would look!). You would have no "motley het sunspot" corn because it would look sunspot and motley.
Now, if sunspot (stripe) is recessive to motley, *but they are allelic*, you could have a motley corn that is really Ms, and thus a motley het sunspot (Ms) x sunspot (ss) = 50% motley het sunspot (Ms) 50% sunspot (ss).

(man I hope I got all that right!)
Very nice snakes, it's a pattern I'd like to get into sometime. My stripes are all very stripy ;)

Back