• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sunspot corns

Hun, you my as well not bother. I've tried explaining this numerous times to him (here and via PM) and it's like talking to a brick wall.

Though I was thinking after seeing someone post their Snow Stripe and asking if it were Cube...You could call her type of Cube more "Butterfly" because of the way the squares look. I see nothing wrong with calling certain looks in Stripes different things, but at least be accurate about what you're selling...It is genetically still a Stripe!

I still happen to like "cube" and "sunspot" to describe a certain stripe look ;) (just like "hurricane" describes a certain motley look)

Codominant means that the phenotype of the heterozygote is different than either homozygote (in between). Ie, if "RR" is a red flower and "rr" is a mutant that makes the flower white, "Rr" would be pink if the genes were codominant.

So, if you're getting 50/50 then the genes would be allelic, not codominant

In corns, ultra is codominant (and allelic) with amel. So an ultra corn x amel = 100% ultramels! And a normal corn het ultra x ultra = 50% ultra, 50% normal het ultra. But a normal corn het amel x ultra = 50% ultramels, 50% normal het ultra!
Motley and stripe, on the other hand (and sunspot/cube are a special kind of stripe), are alleles too, but motley is dominant to stripe! Let's call the wild-type pattern "W", and motley "m" and stripe "s". So a wild-type snake can be either WW, Wm, or Ws, a motley-type snake could be "mm" or "ms" (properly written "Ms" since the motley is dom in this pairing) and a stripe must be "ss".
Sunspot is not "codominant" with motley, because if it were, a "pure" motley x "pure" sunspot cross would be 100% snakes that looked halfway between motley and sunspot (I don't even know how that would look!). You would have no "motley het sunspot" corn because it would look sunspot and motley.
Now, if sunspot (stripe) is recessive to motley, *but they are allelic*, you could have a motley corn that is really Ms, and thus a motley het sunspot (Ms) x sunspot (ss) = 50% motley het sunspot (Ms) 50% sunspot (ss).

(man I hope I got all that right!)
Very nice snakes, it's a pattern I'd like to get into sometime. My stripes are all very stripy ;)

That's as clear as day mate,thanks very much.

Hun, you my as well not bother. I've tried explaining this numerous times to him (here and via PM) and it's like talking to a brick wall.

Though I was thinking after seeing someone post their Snow Stripe and asking if it were Cube...You could call her type of Cube more "Butterfly" because of the way the squares look. I see nothing wrong with calling certain looks in Stripes different things, but at least be accurate about what you're selling...It is genetically still a Stripe!

Do I need to show you the pic again!!! You really are,get
out more.

Back