• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Temperatures influence gender?

blckkat said:
Please explain then Kat's female heavy clutch incubated at 86 degrees.

Like I said, TSD is much more strict. 85-95% of a single clutch would would be male or female heavy. I dealt with 9 different clutches which averaged at 50/50. BUT Clutch #2006.002 (11.8) was male heavy, while Clutch #2006.008 (2.9) was female heavy. Two different clutches, incubated at the same temperature with completely opposite results.

11.8 is not nearly as "male" heavy as 2.9 is "female" heavy. 11.8 is very close to a 50/50 clutch, whereas 2.9 is not. Like I said, from what I've seen, higher temps do tend to throw more males. Not in every case obviously, but it seems to in general.

I'll be breeding several pairs of Kings, Corns and the exact pairs of Cobras this year. I'll be incubating the Cobras at 82 - 84 degrees as the others. Then compare to last years results when the Cobras were incubated at 85 - 86 degrees. Then I'll get a better picture.

RC

TSD is TSD. It can not be "not in every case."

Also, I would like to mention, that TSD is determined within the first 2 weeks of incubation. So higher/lower temps after the first 2 crucial weeks is generally irrelevant.

It also has been proven with Leopard Geckos that higher temperatures produce brighter offspring. The trick to get high color female offspring is incubate at lower temps the first 2 weeks then up the temps for the remainder of the incubation period.

blckkat said:
TSD is TSD. It can not be "not in every case."

Also, I would like to mention, that TSD is determined within the first 2 weeks of incubation. So higher/lower temps after the first 2 crucial weeks is generally irrelevant.

It also has been proven with Leopard Geckos that higher temperatures produce brighter offspring. The trick to get high color female offspring is incubate at lower temps the first 2 weeks then up the temps for the remainder of the incubation period.

I know Geckos and the like are affected by temps. We're talking about whether a snakes sex can be determined by incubation temps, and it has been shown by my buddies snakes that lower temps can give you more females than higher temps. I don't know anyone who incubates snake eggs at a different temp for the first two weeks. From what I hear, most incubate at a certain temp from start to finish. When I incubated Cobra eggs, I did so at 85 - 86 degrees the entire time, and I consistantly got more males than females. My buddy breeding the same species got more females at lower temps. My Corn snake buddy swears he's getting more females at 84 degrees than he did at 85-86 degrees. He produced about 650 hatchlings this year.

You're not listening.

I'm not saying most hobbiests don't incubate at the same temperature range throughout the incubation process. What I said is the 1st 2 weeks of incubation is where (with TSD) sex is determined.

Like I've said, wishful thinking isn't going to get me to say TSD is effective in cornsnakes. From what I have in front of me, it isn't.

My Corn snake buddy swears he's getting more females at 84 degrees than he did at 85-86 degrees. He produced about 650 hatchlings this year.

Here again...I got a 50/50 mix of sexes incubating at 82 degrees. Being that my temperatures were in the middle range of cornsnake incubation, mine are correct. However, being that you're "buddy" incubated at 84 degrees and produced more females at a higher temperature again proves that it's not TSD. Higher temps = MALES.

blckkat said:
You're not listening.
Here again...I got a 50/50 mix of sexes incubating at 82 degrees. Being that my temperatures were in the middle range of cornsnake incubation, mine are correct. However, being that you're "buddy" incubated at 84 degrees and produced more females at a higher temperature again proves that it's not TSD. Higher temps = MALES.

Sorry, but I'm not the one that isn't listening. You incubated all your clutches at 82 degrees and got approx. 50%. One of the clutches was way higher in females. I don't believe any of your clutches were as high in males as the one in females. If you make the same breedings this year and incubate them at 85 - 86 degrees, you will probably get more males. My buddy incubated at 85 - 86 degrees for several years and got mostly males. He dropped the incubation temps from 85 - 86 down to 84 and got more females. How do you explain that? You don't really get any conclusive evidence with your one season of breeding. make the same breedings again, incubate at a higher temp and see what happens. Then you'll know. Either way, I'm done with this thread.

blckkat your missing an obvoius possibility here the TSD if it does happen in corns and other snakes as seems to be possible, does not have to work the same way with higher temps always being male heavy. It is possible that it is TSD in reverse to the way that works with other reptiles. Right now I am not saying it is or is not TSD but it looks like temps are effecting male female ratios however more needs to be done to fully confirm or rule it out.

Wow...getting more responses now for some reason. I think we need to clarify between TSD (temp sex dependent) and temperature influencing the sex. TSD means if you incubate at this temp you will get this ratio of males to females. I think if anything right now it would be safer to say that temp can influence sex but doesn't necessarily determine it. To determine TSD you would need a lot more info from a lot more sources IMO.

~Katie

venomstreet said:
Sorry, but I'm not the one that isn't listening. You incubated all your clutches at 82 degrees and got approx. 50%. One of the clutches was way higher in females. I don't believe any of your clutches were as high in males as the one in females. If you make the same breedings this year and incubate them at 85 - 86 degrees, you will probably get more males. My buddy incubated at 85 - 86 degrees for several years and got mostly males. He dropped the incubation temps from 85 - 86 down to 84 and got more females. How do you explain that? You don't really get any conclusive evidence with your one season of breeding. make the same breedings again, incubate at a higher temp and see what happens. Then you'll know. Either way, I'm done with this thread.

I'm glad you're done with this thread. because you're not getting the point.

I incubated at 82 got 50/50
Your buddy incubated at 84 & got a high count of females
Meg / Steven incubated at 80 & got a high count of females
Kat incubated at 86 degrees & got a high count of females

Do you see with the temps & sex what is wrong? High counts of females were produced at both mid & high incubation temperatures. And this is shown with only 5 different results.

your missing an obvoius possibility here the TSD if it does happen in corns and other snakes as seems to be possible, does not have to work the same way with higher temps always being male heavy. It is possible that it is TSD in reverse to the way that works with other reptiles.

I'm pretty sure that is impossible. Also, if that were the case, then everyone saying they're getting males at higher temperatures (which would be correct for TSD) again points that it is not TSD. Their is too much variation for TSD to be a factor. That is my point!

blckkat said:
What I said is the 1st 2 weeks of incubation is where (with TSD) sex is determined.

I am sure you have many years of breeding under your belt, and have tested this theory out extensively. But I was wondering if you could direct me to some written documentation about the sex being determined within the first two weeks of incubation.

Also , if its not been proven one way or the other how, can you say for certain that sex can't be determined in corn snakes?

And ....is the incubation temp. the ONLY thing that determines sex?
Could hibernation temps play a role?
It wasnt that long ago when breeders thought it was more important to hibernate the female rather than the male.
How about the health/age of a snake, does nature take over when a snake hits a certain age to ensure survival of species by producing more than average females in a clutch ?

Can you be certain that the temps are the only factor ?
What about humidity ?

Basically I would like to read the same things things you have, so I can understand your conclusion.

Oh ...and were these the only cases you have to compare?

B]I incubated at 82 got 50/50
Your buddy incubated at 84 & got a high count of females
Meg / Steven incubated at 80 & got a high count of females
Kat incubated at 86 degrees & got a high count of females[/B]

I am referring to TSD. Nothing more on determining sex. For TSD, those are the only cases I need to compare. That proves that it is not TSD. I am not saying that sex is not determined by other factors. Obviously it is. I am saying that it is not TSD.

But I was wondering if you could direct me to some written documentation about the sex being determined within the first two weeks of incubation.

From Ron Tremper. Whom has been in the business longer then you or I. ;)
http://leopardgecko.com/colorfaq.html

I don't know what this argument continues. If you were experienced with TSD, you would know what you're seeing.

blckkat said:
I am referring to TSD. Nothing more on determining sex. For TSD, those are the only cases I need to compare. That proves that it is not TSD. I am not saying that sex is not determined by other factors. Obviously it is. I am saying that it is not TSD.

From Ron Tremper. Whom has been in the business longer then you or I. ;)
http://leopardgecko.com/colorfaq.html

I don't know what this argument continues. If you were experienced with TSD, you would know what you're seeing.

First let me say this ...I am by no means arguing with you or any one else, if you feel that by me expressing my thoughts and experiences on this subject is argumentative, then your mistaken. As for my experience ...you don't have a clue.

I'm sorry I thought we were talking about Corns - not leopard geckos.
Sending me a link to a site about leopards geckos has nothing to do w/ corn snakes.

I know MANY who have been breeding snakes for years , and I have to say that you have a gift. Any one that can determine scientific facts w/ the breeding info from 3 other breeders (not even your own) .....is amazing !

How can you say that "if TSD was involved with Cornsnakes, I believe it would have been identified long ago".

When breeders are learning new stuff on a regular basis. I would still like to see the writings were you got your info from.

You did say that "No, cornsnakes are not temperature sex dependent" (post #2) I would just like to see some actual studies done on this, maybe you can send me some of your reseach documentation on this.

Could it be that sex is determined before the eggs are laid, and depending on the temps the gravid female is kept could possibly determine the sex.

Ron may have been in the bussines longer than me, how much work has he done w/ TSD in cornsnakes?
And I'd bet I have been breeding reptiles longer than you have, and have much more "personal" experience to base my information on.

There is just so many unanswered questions about this subject that I find it hard to believe that you can come right out and say corns are not TSD.

What does your experience w/ TSD consist of ?

venomstreet said:
Like I said, from what I've seen, higher temps do tend to throw more males. Not in every case obviously, but it seems to in general.

I would just like to point out that unless you've kept good records, and have sufficient data to show that your trend is statistically highly improbable as a result of random sampling, it isn't. Humans are notoriously poor at recognizing trends in data, and are also known to "see" or "notice" trends they suspect are there. This is why we have to do double-blind drug testing experiments. People often see what they want to see or what they think they see. People also have no "feel" for what is expected from random sampling. We might think that if we flip a coin 10 times and 7 times we get heads, that the coin is weighted improperly when in fact, 7 out of 10 heads is not all that uncommon a result. This is why we have many, many people gainfully employed as statisticians.

From what I have read (which is admittedly very little), the people who actually DO deliberate experiments using sample sizes sufficient to make a reliable conclusion one way or the other (note that an entire clutch is one ONE datum here) have not been able to demonstrate TSD in snakes.
I could be wrong about that and there could be new data out there, but hobbyist data, generally, will not have sample sizes sufficient to address this particular question.

Here is an abstract from a recent article that refers to TSD in snakes and that it seems not to occur. If you want the entire article so that you can track down the citations referring to TSD in snakes particularly, PM me and I'll send you the pdf. There's a Quarterly Review of Biology paper in the bibliography about Sex determination in reptiles. I doubt these authors would have concluded their abstract as they did if it were not generally accepted in the field of biology that TSD does not seem to be important for snakes.

Title: Phenotypic consequences of nest-site selection in black rat snakes (Elaphe obsoleta)
Author(s): Blouin-Demers G, Weatherhead PJ, Row JR
Source: CANADIAN JOURNAL OF ZOOLOGY-REVUE CANADIENNE DE ZOOLOGIE 82 (3): 449-456 MAR 2004
Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 38 Times Cited: 1
Abstract: Nest-site selection is the only behaviour that can be considered parental care in most oviparous reptiles because eggs are abandoned after laying and because incubation conditions resulting from nest-site selection can have profound effects on offspring. During a 7-year study of black rat snakes, Elaphe obsoleta (Say in James, 1823), we investigated phenotypic effects of incubation temperature on hatchlings, monitored temperatures in nests, and determined the preferred nesting temperature. Temperatures of communal nests were higher than those of single-female nests. In the laboratory, females preferred to nest at temperatures most similar to those of communal nests. Hatchlings from eggs incubated at temperatures similar to those in the warmer communal nests hatched faster, were longer, swam faster, were less aggressive, and had fewer scale anomalies than hatchlings from eggs incubated at temperatures similar to those in single nests. A possible disadvantage of communal nests is that eggs in communal nests may be at greater risk to parasitism by Nicrophorus pustulatus (Herschel, 1807). The incubation experiment allowed a test of a key assumption of a model proposed to explain environmental sex determination. Contrary to that assumption, we found no evidence that incubation temperature affected males and females differently. Our results might explain why temperature-dependent sex determination appears not to occur in snakes.

homegrownherps said:
Could it be that sex is determined before the eggs are laid, and depending on the temps the gravid female is kept could possibly determine the sex.

Though I did not do a literature search on this, I believe this issue has recieved some attention. When I was in middle school (and I am now 31), I had a herpetology grad student friend who was working on female body temp and sex determination in viviparious species. Basically he found nothing relating body temp to offpsring sex. I know we're not talking about a viviparous species here, but I'd guess this research has been done. I'm not really all that interested in this topic, but if you really are, google scholar should help you find the literature you asked blkkat for. Much of it will be in electronic format free to the public, and what isn't can be either found or inter-library loaned to your local library. You can probably even put in your ILL requests by internet.

desertanimal said:
Though I did not do a literature search on this, I believe this issue has recieved some attention. When I was in middle school (and I am now 31), I had a herpetology grad student friend who was working on female body temp and sex determination in viviparious species. Basically he found nothing relating body temp to offpsring sex. I know we're not talking about a viviparous species here, but I'd guess this research has been done. I'm not really all that interested in this topic, but if you really are, google scholar should help you find the literature you asked blkkat for. Much of it will be in electronic format free to the public, and what isn't can be either found or inter-library loaned to your local library. You can probably even put in your ILL requests by internet.

What I am looking for here is how one person can say for certain wether it can or can't be determined by temps. For Blckkat to come out say for certain in can not, is incorrect. So I basically would like to know where their info came from, wether it was personal research or not. And what facts they made this determination on.

I myself am still on the fence about this subject. I have done my own projects but have not kept immaculate records as you say, for the simple reason its my own little project. I certainly produce enough animals every year to experiment.

As a breeder it is definitely something to look forward to.

homegrownherps said:
What I am looking for here is how one person can say for certain wether it can or can't be determined by temps.

I certainly produce enough animals every year to experiment.

Yeah. I get what you're looking for. What I'm saying is that the data are very likely out there if you really want to know, and I'll send you an article that will lead you on your merry way to finding those data. It won't be all laid out for you. I didn't happen to find a review article on TSD research in snakes in the last 30 years. But if you do a little work from the one I found and a little google searching on your own, you will find the available data to address the question. I've already had one request for the article.

Now, if you just want to argue with blkkat, I can't help you with that.

I'm sure you do produce enough animals. But for this question, you have to produce enough CLUTCHES. Mmm. For a clear cut-and-dried TSD you'd want at least 20 clutches, but given you'd want to test low, med, and high temps, you'd probably want more like 30. And this is only if TSD is cut-and-dry. If there are other factors affecting sex determination that you don't know about and therefore can't control for, you're going to have noise in your data, and you're going to need even more clutches (data points) to find out what's going on with TSD if it is a factor.

AND, you'd need to run a statistical analysis to demonstrate that your results were not likely random.

All I'm saying is that there are loads more data out there to inform this argument, and if one is really interested in the issue, one should seek them out.

desertanimal said:
Yeah. I get what you're looking for. What I'm saying is that the data are very likely out there if you really want to know, and I'll send you an article that will lead you on your merry way to finding those data. It won't be all laid out for you. I didn't happen to find a review article on TSD research in snakes in the last 30 years. But if you do a little work from the one I found and a little google searching on your own, you will find the available data to address the question. I've already had one request for the article.

Now, if you just want to argue with blkkat, I can't help you with that.

I'm sure you do produce enough animals. But for this question, you have to produce enough CLUTCHES. Mmm. For a clear cut-and-dried TSD you'd want at least 20 clutches, but given you'd want to test low, med, and high temps, you'd probably want more like 30. And this is only if TSD is cut-and-dry. If there are other factors affecting sex determination that you don't know about and therefore can't control for, you're going to have noise in your data, and you're going to need even more clutches (data points) to find out what's going on with TSD if it is a factor.

AND, you'd need to run a statistical analysis to demonstrate that your results were not likely random.

All I'm saying is that there are loads more data out there to inform this argument, and if one is really interested in the issue, one should seek them out.

Well I guess if I don't go w/ the flow , its called arguing !
( I knew there was reason why I don't frequent the forums )

No , I don't think you see what I am looking for , what I want is blkkat to provide me with the info that made her so confident on the statement she made. I don't want YOU to provide me with the info.

So blkkat is going off the data of what ...4 breeders?
how much data does she actually have to back her statement , or is she just repeating what she heard from some one else?

She was so confident in her statements that I thought she would have some facts to back it up. And not have some one else provide documentation.

oh well ...maybe another time.
I'll drop it here because I don't appreciate it when I try to have a discussion and get accused of "arguing". And I think she just made a statement and has nothing to back it up.

Mmm my bad I was tierd when I read this the first time.

I still think it might be possible that the switch point is higher than your expecting though based on some of the information that has been posted here.

I got 80% males at 85 - 86 degrees, and my buddy got about 65% females at 80 - 84 degrees. True the snakes are not the same snakes, but a buddy of mine that is a Corn breeder, and I'd bet most all of you know him. He hatched out more females this year at 84 degrees than he did in years past with the same pairings, at 85 degrees.

I incubated my eggs at 86 degrees this year, and got far more females than males. Every clutch this year was either equal or female-heavy.

I also think loads more testing needs to be done on this before we can say either way at any rate the things that have been posted do seem to idicate that there may be something going on. Specially when you take into account the fact that digital themometors are not always calabrated exaclty and kats could well be 2 degrees out. We also dont know the exact temps megF and stepthen used. But from the exact temps we have seen 84 degrees 85 degrees could well be the switch point. Your own clutches being at 82 degrees would then be the low end and temps above 85 86 the higher point. However at the moment there needs to be many more tests done with exact temps measured with accurate themometers before we can say for sure that temp is not playing a part in gender.

At the end of the day I am saying I dont think we can rule it out just yet and that the results we know exact temps for do show a possible differance causing an possible effect.

Back