• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What do you think I am, a rescue organisation??? Updated 5/2 with new pictures!

Shiari

Blutterer
As if Lulu wasn't enough...

Another surrender, but this time a snake!

"Buttercup" here (now called Ratbait) had a previous owner who was somewhat in denial over the severity of his problems. He was fed live rats. One day, the rat won.

It's been 5 months since he last actually ate. He has retained eye caps from multiple sheds, and what may be cataracts underneath all that. At the very least, the multiple retained sheds (which we removed, except for the eye caps, working on those) have deformed the shape of the cornea. :/

As you can see, he had the major bite to his face, and multiple small wounds down the length of his body... and his tail is rotting. If you could *smell* him... it's horrendous and nauseating. He's had an injection of baytril, and is now on a 30 day initial course of Fortaz intra-muscularly.

His house currently consists of the largest of my plastic tubs with the warm side packed with damp moss, and a giant water bowl on the cool side. Hopefully he'll get better, and can make someone (else) a great pet.

The main bite location:

ratbait3.jpg

Retained eyecaps + more bite wound:

ratbait4.jpg

ratbait5.jpg

ratbait6.jpg

Tail:

ratbait2.jpg

ratbait1.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh. Poor snake. :(
I know you're a vet (o.o ??) but that sounds like exactly what I would do if anyone gave me a snake in that condition. My ex and I got two ball pythons off CL (thankfully these two found a GREAT home after I gave them a little TLC). Both of them had eyes that looked like that. The lady claimed that they didn't like to soak. The second I got them home I put them in a tub of water for an hour. They looked better the next day (in relevance to how they looked the night before), and after shedding it was apparent that the "female" indeed had permanent eye damage, but her other eye was fine and she ate (and still does eat) perfectly. The sack of bones, who I had named Grimm, also ate and shed just fine. These two went to the same home where they are spoiled rotten and fed and NOT cohabbed any more! I also gave the guy who took these two my little picky eater corn from last season once he started eating.

ANYWAY sorry for the tangent.. I'm just hoping that this guy will pull through like the balls did for me! I know he's in a lot worse of condition, but my nearly decapitated garter that I rehabbed made it through to see her day back in the wild, and I bet this guy can see better days as well! Good luck!

I know you're a vet (o.o ??)

ANYWAY sorry for the tangent.. I'm just hoping that this guy will pull through like the balls did for me! I know he's in a lot worse of condition, but my nearly decapitated garter that I rehabbed made it through to see her day back in the wild, and I bet this guy can see better days as well! Good luck!

Vet *tech*, but thankyou for the encouragement with your rehab stories!

That's just infuriating! It looks they they kept him in some sort of ghetto chicken wire cage, that's a severe nose rub!

That's just infuriating! It looks they they kept him in some sort of ghetto chicken wire cage, that's a severe nose rub!

Actually, he was in a 120 gallon tank.

And that's not a nose rub. That's part of the old infected bite!

That's disgusting that anyone would let their pet get in that condition!. It's not like that it something that happens over night! I hope he gets cleaned up and heals well in your care. I also hope that someone with a big heart is willing to adopt this poor guy after all he's been through. He needs a good life pain free life!

I know what you mean about the rescue organization. I've had all sorts of animals dumped on me. My most resent is a cut up garter snake that someone tried to kill with a lawn mower... :(

This might be a dumb question, but I can't tell from the pics....what kind of snake is buttercup/ratbait?

Hopefully he recovers well! Please keep us updated on his progress! :)

Ow Ow OW OW OW! Poor fellow. I should pass the pics on to a certain relative of mine who keeps feeding their 15+ year old corn live rats. >.<

Poor ratbait. :( If you need any help with him let me know.

We think the tail is more bite wounds, though it could be scale rot... or both at once. We applied Puralube, a sterile eye lubricant used during surgeries, several times today, and I'm going to get some vaseline tomorrow to continue applying. Right now he is hiding in a huge pile of damp moss.

Rather than vaseline, would, ahem, 'lube' be more useful? When my degu everted and injured his penis, I had to buy a tube of K-Y and apply it to the dried out tissue several times a day. (Try explaining that in a pharmacy!)

Back