• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wintertime hydration....

for anyone interested......I found an empty sherbert tub....put the humidity gauge in the tub & closed the lid....for about an hour. when i returned to check it...guess who was in the tub...coiled around the humidity gauge...it read 75% but im not sure that would be accurate,with the snake wrapped around it. will try again later.

This photo shows a nest box setup, but the nest box could also serve as a humid hide....
NestBoxSetup1b.jpg

The only thing is that this setup becomes very humid, if moist, and could harbor pathogens or mold, if not aired out enough.

:eek1:

for anyone interested......I found an empty sherbert tub....put the humidity gauge in the tub & closed the lid....for about an hour. when i returned to check it...guess who was in the tub...coiled around the humidity gauge...it read 75% but im not sure that would be accurate,with the snake wrapped around it. will try again later.

I bet it was accurate. That's funny; but the humidity is really high. I sure never get that kind of humidity, unless I use a closed container, like the nest box above.

:sidestep:

I bet it was accurate. That's funny; but the humidity is really high. I sure never get that kind of humidity, unless I use a closed container, like the nest box above.

:sidestep:

well, basically it's the same as your lay box....a tub...with lid...small hole in the lid....basically the same thing...holds humidity GREAT! :)

The tank is a 20L. For info on the kit that I purchased you can google Zilla Deluxe Snake Kit. It's just a little starter kit. I've never really been great at DIY so I figured I'd let my husband handle all that when he gets back next month. The store I bought her from sells special ready made humid hides. Provided the truck will run tomorrow(not terribly fond of this cold weather lately) I'll pick on up tomorrow. I really wish I she'd peek out real quick so I could make sure she's okay without having to bother her. The daytime light is a 75 watt Zilla daylight blue incandescent. The night bulb is a 50 watt Zilla black heat incandescent bulb. I think I'm going to downgrade the daytime bulb. It had the cool side temp up to 86 degrees today, much warmer than I wanted. The night bulb has the cool side at 78. My humidity came up to almost 20% within an hour of switching off the daylight and turning on the night. I haven't yet misted the bedding but I'm going to do that real quick pending anything other remedies. The measurements come from a Zilla dual humidity and temperature guage. I'm going to get a kit that has seperate guages for each reading and putting one of each at each end of the tank.

P.S.- The Bark Blend is ground douglas fir bark(even though most of it is pretty large pieces about 1in x 3/4in give or take. Jungle Mix is much more finely ground, more the consistancy of rough soil, and is a fir and sphagnum peat moss blend. Both are from my LPS. The aspen is the chips. I don't like the shredded for my furry critters as it can get into their airways. I'll get whatever it takes to stabilize this viv's humitidy so suggest away!

The tank is a 20L. For info on the kit that I purchased you can google Zilla Deluxe Snake Kit. It's just a little starter kit. I've never really been great at DIY so I figured I'd let my husband handle all that when he gets back next month. The store I bought her from sells special ready made humid hides. Provided the truck will run tomorrow(not terribly fond of this cold weather lately) I'll pick on up tomorrow. I really wish I she'd peek out real quick so I could make sure she's okay without having to bother her. The daytime light is a 75 watt Zilla daylight blue incandescent. The night bulb is a 50 watt Zilla black heat incandescent bulb. I think I'm going to downgrade the daytime bulb. It had the cool side temp up to 86 degrees today, much warmer than I wanted. The night bulb has the cool side at 78. My humidity came up to almost 20% within an hour of switching off the daylight and turning on the night. I haven't yet misted the bedding but I'm going to do that real quick pending anything other remedies. The measurements come from a Zilla dual humidity and temperature guage. I'm going to get a kit that has seperate guages for each reading and putting one of each at each end of the tank.

P.S.- The Bark Blend is ground douglas fir bark(even though most of it is pretty large pieces about 1in x 3/4in give or take. Jungle Mix is much more finely ground, more the consistancy of rough soil, and is a fir and sphagnum peat moss blend. Both are from my LPS. The aspen is the chips. I don't like the shredded for my furry critters as it can get into their airways. I'll get whatever it takes to stabilize this viv's humitidy so suggest away!

Boy, I hardly know where to start, but here goes nuttin'... ;)

I think you said your snake was very small, maybe a juvenile, and it's lost somewhere in this cage. First, I don't recommend such a large cage for such a small snake. For one reason, they're hard to observe under those conditions, and it's hard to catch a mistake when something goes wrong. Something is very wrong with your setup.

Start with your substrate. The aspen chips don't work well for snakes, especially small ones. I don't think they hold the moisture well enough, and they seem to suck the moisture out of your animals rather than helping them. Your cage is way too dry and it will be bad for your baby snake. I suggest finding it asap and doing what I said before...a little soak, to make sure it's hydrated.

I used shredded aspen with my mouse colony and it worked great. They didn't inhale anything. In fact it worked better than chips. I still recommend shredded aspen, even for rodents.

I've been out of the corn snake loop of the hobby for several years and I've never heard of all this Zilla stuff. I'll have to do some research on that; but it seems pretty obvious someone has come with a full line of accessories for pet reptiles that can be marketed through pet stores and such. I won't comment on the quality of the products, but only on the functionality of them.

I don't know what your humid hide is like, but if it's any good you may find your snake in there. I think the overall conditions of the tank are pretty bad. You don't need the light sources for one thing. It's way too hot. You're probably cooking the snake. The undertank heater is plenty to keep your snake warm. The cool end is too hot too. I'd turn of all the overhead lamps and test the temperatures when the cage cools off. Your snake will try to hide until it cools off and then may come out to look for food and water.

I'm keeping my snakes in a room that varies from 70 to 80*F. It is warmer during the day and cooler at night. I use UTH's under some of the cages, usually after the snakes have fed, so they can digest better, otherwise..no extra heat. Even at these temps the snakes still try to find the best places in the cages to rest and hide. They like tight places and places that are somewhat moist/more humid. I'd qualify this info with saying it's winter and I believe in a partial brumation or slow down, if you will, in metabolism.

I've commented on the aspen bedding already. The bark with fir chips doesn't sound much better than the aspen. I doubt it will hold moisture very well. The other bedding, the Jungle Mix, sounds better, although I've never used it. I don't like the fir in it, but the sphagnum, peat moss blend could work. The fir contains a toxic sap when fresh cut. When dried out it might be a lot more neutral. I would have to see the bedding when dry and when moistened. The other ingredients will hold moisture better.

Once again, I'd recommend finding the snake at once. If I were the snake, I'd either be in the humid hide or under the Jungle Mix bedding. Good luck....

:santa:

Ok, I'll post some pics to illustrate some things I've been talking about...

This is an old pic of my large snake rack holding ten gallon tanks. Setups may be a little different in 2010....
SnakeRackRH91004a_TC.jpg

Another look at a ten gallon setup...
CageTenGalSetupRH120407a1_TC.jpg

Notice the smaller humid hide on the left with the damp sphagnum in it. Snakes like tighter fits sometimes...
CageMiamiMoistHidefoodRH62207_TC.jpg

This cage shows the moist hide with sphagnum, a dry hide, and a feeding jug. The reason for the live mouse was that this was a problem feeder.

Here's my baby's snake rack....
BabyRackRH91207a2_TC.jpg

You can put heat tape in the back of the rack, if more heat is necessary. The paper towelling can be sprayed at times when the boxes are very dry.

I also use shoe boxes from time to time. Here's a few...
ShoeBoxesAF80606a1b_TC.jpg

You can see the paper towelling inside.
This is what the inside of a box might look like....
ShoeBoxsetupRH91406_TC.jpg

A little deli cup fits nicely for the fresh water. Another cup of moist sphagnum can be added, if more humidity/moisture is needed. The babies can hide under the paper towelling too.

I like to keep things simple, if possible. I used ten gallon tanks for my mouse colonies too. This is a typical setup for four adult mice, one male and three females...
MouseCageRH41007_TC.jpg

Notice the shredded aspen, along with shredded newspaper that the mice created, and the cardboard prop for them to build their nest under. Happy mice are productive mice...heheh!

:dancer:

One more....
triaspis08HPR-msubadultRH52009a1b_TC.jpg

This is a subadult, male, green ratsnake lying in his large humid hide with a gravel base. I put balled up newspaper on top of the gravel to make it feel more secure for the snake, plus the newspaper absorbs some of the moisture. They use this hide when they feel too dry.

SenticolisAvatar.gif

She was actually hiding under the water bowl. I sprayed the entire substrate with water. My humidity came up to 20%. I cut the lights and will get an undertank heating pad tomorrow. I'm not sure where the temperature will end up tonight so I'm going to suspend the lower watt night time lamp about 6 inches above the tank to make sure she does have a warmer area to go to. I've got an empty 10 gallon tank that I'll set up tomorrow. I, personally, prefer the jungle mix. It does hold moisture much better and seems to distribute heat more evenly. I found out the store I got her from was keeping her in her feeding bin overnight so I'll have to figure out some way to keep her from getting too cool in there before I get up. It would seem that's why she lazes about rather than eating. They told me they had the observed the same issue with her and that she'd rarely eaten by the time they closed several hours after placing her in the bin. The ambient temperature of my home tends to hover around 70 at night and about 76 during the day. Seems to me 70 would be way too chilly for a snake preparing to eat or having just eaten. The only way I'll be able to actually get her into a feeding bin at the moment will be to use one of the critter keepers with the small opening at the top so I'll get a very small heating pad for that one. With an open bin she goes right out the opposite side before you can even hope to get the top on. When I located her earlier today she bolted but appeared to be in good health. She did let me look at her for a moment before she went back under the bedding but I didn't want to push the issue and try to touch her. She was alert and lightening quick so I can only assume she's feeling okay.

She was actually hiding under the water bowl. I sprayed the entire substrate with water. My humidity came up to 20%. I cut the lights and will get an undertank heating pad tomorrow. I'm not sure where the temperature will end up tonight so I'm going to suspend the lower watt night time lamp about 6 inches above the tank to make sure she does have a warmer area to go to. I've got an empty 10 gallon tank that I'll set up tomorrow. I, personally, prefer the jungle mix. It does hold moisture much better and seems to distribute heat more evenly. I found out the store I got her from was keeping her in her feeding bin overnight so I'll have to figure out some way to keep her from getting too cool in there before I get up. It would seem that's why she lazes about rather than eating. They told me they had the observed the same issue with her and that she'd rarely eaten by the time they closed several hours after placing her in the bin. The ambient temperature of my home tends to hover around 70 at night and about 76 during the day. Seems to me 70 would be way too chilly for a snake preparing to eat or having just eaten. The only way I'll be able to actually get her into a feeding bin at the moment will be to use one of the critter keepers with the small opening at the top so I'll get a very small heating pad for that one. With an open bin she goes right out the opposite side before you can even hope to get the top on. When I located her earlier today she bolted but appeared to be in good health. She did let me look at her for a moment before she went back under the bedding but I didn't want to push the issue and try to touch her. She was alert and lightening quick so I can only assume she's feeling okay.

Congratulations on finding her, and it sounds like you're making progress in the right direction. It also sounds like the snake is either very scared or has been kept way too warm. They sometimes get really charged up like that when they are super warm.

Maybe the conditions just weren't right for the snake to be in a feeding mode. It needs to calm down and feel secure. That's one reason it's hiding so diligently. The overnight temp of 70*F. won't hurt your snake, but you're right about feeding. The snake would probably take a pink at 70*, if it were hungry, but the temps should be more like 80-83* for digestion. I think the UTH will make things right, if kept in the correct range.

In the past pet shops have been noted for keeping snakes under poor conditions. This is one reason I'd rather get my new snakes from a reputable breeder. I have no idea what your baby has been through, what conditions it has been exposed to so far, but I wish you the best of luck, and it should come around with some tlc. Corn snakes are very hardy snakes with attention to the basics.

:spinner:

Sometimes in the winter the humidity gets too low for shedding, so I set up a cool mist humidifier and have it blow over the cage. The cool mist sinks right into the tank and easily raises the humidity to wherever I want it. I usually set the humidifier to low moisture so the water lasts, and it still brings the humidity up to 65-70% no problem. On that setting a gallon of distilled water lasts 3-4 days with 40-50% humidity ambient.
This is the one I have.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CE8Q8wIwAw#

Sometimes in the winter the humidity gets too low for shedding, so I set up a cool mist humidifier and have it blow over the cage. The cool mist sinks right into the tank and easily raises the humidity to wherever I want it. I usually set the humidifier to low moisture so the water lasts, and it still brings the humidity up to 65-70% no problem. On that setting a gallon of distilled water lasts 3-4 days with 40-50% humidity ambient.

This sounds like an excellent product. I think I'll try it, as I'm due for a new humidifier and space heater... :spinner:

I'm having real issues, this is my first time in this trailer over winter and in the last week my humidity has dropped from about an average of 35% to an even 20% I can even feel the difference and I don't like it. I have a humidifier I got yesterday, been running non-stop since I brought it home and it has made no difference. I am working on getting another one. Trying to figure out humid hides too. The problems will be for my 3 big corns, the containers I have are not big enough . . . can I wash out milk jugs and cut down the sides melting the edges to round them out?

What kind of humidifier did you get? I've had half a dozen of the wick/filter with fan types, and was never satisfied with the output. The one I have now (I actually have 2, a penguin and a dragon) is a cool mist and uses an ultrasonic nebulizer to make the mist. If I turn it up to full, it would probably put a gallon of water into the air in less than 8 hours. Maybe as little as 4.
My first penguin only lasted 3 years, bit the current one is still going after 5. Distilled water does get pricey, but I won't use anything else because the minerals in tap water will leave white dust on things.

I prefer the nebulizer types too but I could not find one and was desperate. I've filled this thing 3 times since I set it up about this time last night. Its a cool mist humidifier, only one I could have afforded to get today after paying bills was a used one that is a heated humidifier and I don't like those. This is a bit agrivating because if my nose feels dry and painful from this I can only imagine how it is for my poor corns :( I can't guage the humidity in their vivs right now so the reading is for the house air. Still sitting at 20% :(

I'm having real issues, this is my first time in this trailer over winter and in the last week my humidity has dropped from about an average of 35% to an even 20% I can even feel the difference and I don't like it. I have a humidifier I got yesterday, been running non-stop since I brought it home and it has made no difference. I am working on getting another one. Trying to figure out humid hides too. The problems will be for my 3 big corns, the containers I have are not big enough . . . can I wash out milk jugs and cut down the sides melting the edges to round them out?

Just cut the tops off the milk jugs like this....
CageMiamiMoistHidefoodRH62207_TC.jpg

...and clean them out. You can use them for water jugs, feeding jugs, or humid hides. For humid hide, just put a bunch of moist sphagnum inside.

:dancer:

I prefer the nebulizer types too but I could not find one and was desperate. I've filled this thing 3 times since I set it up about this time last night. Its a cool mist humidifier, only one I could have afforded to get today after paying bills was a used one that is a heated humidifier and I don't like those. This is a bit agrivating because if my nose feels dry and painful from this I can only imagine how it is for my poor corns :( I can't guage the humidity in their vivs right now so the reading is for the house air. Still sitting at 20% :(

Humidity can be a lot worse than 20%. I've dealt with that for years, and now in AZ it can be in the single digits. Work on the humidifier, but get those humid hides in the cages, and you'll be, ok....

;)

I think everone is having problems with Humidity mine is at 35 percent. I tryed spaying the cage but it is not getting hight, but tomorrow I am going to try to get diff bedding.

Originally Posted by rexracer

This sounds like an excellent product. I think I'll try it, as I'm due for a new humidifier and space heater... :spinner:

I actually looked up humidifiers in the Jan, 2011, Consumer's Report, and found several excellent products. I like the nebulizers too, but my Herp Room is less than 200 sq. ft., so I don't need a very high output device. The Crane (penguin shape) is good, but is made for 500 sq. ft. I like the Safety First, which covers 300 sq. ft., and seems to be just as good a product. Price = $30.

:santa:

Back