• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wintertime hydration....

I think everone is having problems with Humidity mine is at 35 percent. I tryed spaying the cage but it is not getting hight, but tomorrow I am going to try to get diff bedding.

The ambient humidity isn't bad at 35% (wish I had that), but the snakes like other options too, meaning some moisture in the cage. The substrate is important, because the best substrates can hold moisture and can stand spraying every few days or once a week, whatever. The humid hide is important for some snakes, because these snakes like to burrow in moist medium. The water jugs are important too, because many snakes like to soak in the water, and some even use the water to avoid being too dry, especially in emergencies that you might not catch. The humidity in the cage should be higher than the ambient humidity in the room, imo. Also, the humidity in at least one hide should be higher than the humidity in the rest of the cage, imo.

Just some humidty basics I'm working on, and just my opinion in most cases, except the most general stuff.

:santa:

I found her today, under the water bowl again, and misted her. She still looked good. I've also got some sphagnum in a hide for her. I thought of throwing a little piece under the water bowl, too, since the humidity is now down in the single digits here. Just in case she's so attached to that spot that she never finds the humid hide.

Well I change the bedding becouse I it was time anyways I got Cypress bedding and now it is up to 56 percent. I live in louisiana it is always 100 percent hum here but this winter it is every dry. I know if my skin is dry my poor snake is. I was spraying but aspen was not holding the mist.

I found her today, under the water bowl again, and misted her. She still looked good. I've also got some sphagnum in a hide for her. I thought of throwing a little piece under the water bowl, too, since the humidity is now down in the single digits here. Just in case she's so attached to that spot that she never finds the humid hide.

I think she's going to the spot under the water bowl, because it's secure and she's hiding. Maybe she doesn't know where the humid hide is. The cage is pretty big. You could try showing her where to go. A little damp sphagnum under or around the bowl wouldn't hurt either.

Glad she still looks good. Best of luck.

Well I change the bedding becouse I it was time anyways I got Cypress bedding and now it is up to 56 percent. I live in louisiana it is always 100 percent hum here but this winter it is every dry. I know if my skin is dry my poor snake is. I was spraying but aspen was not holding the mist.

Sounds like you have it under control. Good luck with your snake... :)

Thanks ratsnakehaven! I'm going to move her to a 10g tomorrow. Just have to rearrange the furniture to keep it away from the window drafts first. Need to clear this tank anyway. Fell in love with a motley anery and a creamsicle(which I read today is actually a cornsnake crossed with a ratsnake) so they're going in there. They're currently housed together and were slithering all over each other and around the cage together at the store like bestest buddies. I know that may not translate here though so I will have a backup viv ready in case they develop issues, hence waiting on bringing them home. Going to work out the kinks with the set up first. They're paid for and just waiting now.

Thanks ratsnakehaven! I'm going to move her to a 10g tomorrow. Just have to rearrange the furniture to keep it away from the window drafts first. Need to clear this tank anyway. Fell in love with a motley anery and a creamsicle(which I read today is actually a cornsnake crossed with a ratsnake) so they're going in there. They're currently housed together and were slithering all over each other and around the cage together at the store like bestest buddies. I know that may not translate here though so I will have a backup viv ready in case they develop issues, hence waiting on bringing them home. Going to work out the kinks with the set up first. They're paid for and just waiting now.

Hey, congratulations on the new snakes. I'm glad I mentioned the thing about the drafts. I lost one of my first corns when I was pretty young (20's) due to a draft when I set up the tank in the Living Room near the front door. It was a drafty, old house anyway, even w/o the door opening everyday. That was also a tank that didn't have very many props or hides and the snake was out, exposed, all the time; remembering that these are burrowers in the wild, spending most of their time underground in tight places, with no drafts.

Interesting that you are getting a morph and a creamsicle. These are babies? The creamsicle is one of my favorites. This is a form I've been working on for a few years. I'm trying to make a creamsicle from "locality" snakes that has all the best characteristics for my location and facilities. [For my creamsicle, I've started with a Miami/Keys cross/het. for amelanism X a thornscrub rat from southcentral TX. The rootbeers are very nice and I'll be mating them this coming spring. But that's another story.]

Are you going to put your two snakes together in the 20L? I have to tell you that a lot folks on here don't believe in cohabbing, so won't like that idea. I've done it with babies as long as the tank is pretty large and they can avoid each other, but otherwise they don't like sharing much. I probably would recommend separating them by the time they reach their first year, or before, like after winter is over. BTW, they may be slithering all over each other because the store kept them together in close quarters, not exactly what they like. Good luck with them.

One more thing I'd like to relate to you, and others, is that we sometimes make a mistake in our housing and heating, etc, because the breeder or shop we get our snakes from does their setups differently. My preference is to keep the temps kinda on the low side, so that my snakes will be a little more hardy, and I believe in brumating or partial brumation, except with babies. We can't always do this when the babies come from someone who has been keeping them at high temps on a constant basis, because that's what they're used to and they probably won't adapt to new conditions very quickly. I'd try to find out how the snakes were being kept and adjust to that. Also, remember that this is a cold time of year and we can't switch them from a very warm tank to a cool or cold one. This isn't the best time of year to be starting a new snake. I prefer starting with baby snakes in early Fall, so that they can gradually adjust to my setups and conditions.

How about showing us pics of your new snakes when you get them? Here's one of my rootbeer babies from a few years ago....
94233g-mHybrid-3.RH121607_TC_004b-med.jpg

It was four months old at the time. I love these guys for reasons I'll get into someday. Hopefully I'll be able to get albinos eventually. I'm hoping one or more of the babies are het, but I'm not sure, because both the original parents were het. I just picked up an albino from the same line, Miami/Keys cross, that I'm now raising up, and will use in the future to further the creamsicle project.

:santa:

Taking your chances...

Another thing I want to highlight is that when we make a purchase we take our chances on what we get. There's a number of things we need to keep in mind, with only one of them being the humidity question.

Not only do our new arrivals have to adapt to the conditions we have set up for them, we also have to be aware that they may have been kept under poor or even unhealthy conditions before we got them. We might worry about parasites or respiratory disease, etc, so we usually quarantine everything coming in, including animals from our best friends. Sometimes an animal coming in hasn't had the proper amount of food or nutrition, another reason I prefer to start with babies and raise them myself. I also prefer to order only from those with the best reputations or someone I know very well.

Here's a thornscrub ratsnake, Pantherophis emoryi meahllmorum, from southcentral TX, that I got from a very reputable dealer....
Reverse-striped.jpg

I ordered it because it was a reverse-striped morph, kinda special. You can see though that it was very thin, probably undernurished, and possibly dehydrated. After a few months it looked like this...
meahllRS-f30505b_TC.jpg

The snake not only survived, but flourished, and later became the mother to my rootbeer corns. She was crossed with a Miami/Keys cross that I bought from Carol H.

I make these points to show that we often have a lot of work to do with caring for our baby snakes. We need to worry about proper housing, temp and humidity, and the proper amt of nutrition, as well as keeping our charges safe and parasite free. A lot of responsibility.

:spinner:

Thanks for the insight! One of my corns has been soaking in his water dish much more frequently than normal. I've obsessively checked him for mites, checked his temps... trying to figure out what's going on.

Oregon doesn't really get all that cold, and it's pretty wet here, but it has been getting colder lately! I'll give my little soaker a humid hide and see if that helps the situation.

I change bedding and it works great. hum it up to 50 percent, but temp droped a little it is now at 81 to 83 but I think it is becouse it is colder in my house. yall have to try this cypress bedding

Thanks for the insight! One of my corns has been soaking in his water dish much more frequently than normal. I've obsessively checked him for mites, checked his temps... trying to figure out what's going on.

Oregon doesn't really get all that cold, and it's pretty wet here, but it has been getting colder lately! I'll give my little soaker a humid hide and see if that helps the situation.

Some snakes seem to like the water more than others. They're individualistic sometimes. Another thing I'd check is the temps. Snakes often soak when they're too warm or too cold. I have a snake (Slowinski's corn) that has been soaking in his large water jug for several days. He is in brumation and I think he's trying to avoid the extremes from cooler nights to warmer days.

I change bedding and it works great. hum it up to 50 percent, but temp droped a little it is now at 81 to 83 but I think it is becouse it is colder in my house. yall have to try this cypress bedding

You're right, cypress does have a lot of moisture in it; but I still like my shredded aspen for substrate. Also, I think a tank or viv should have a moist/humid area and a dry area, so the snake has a choice.

:spinner:

Back