• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Your Dead Snakes.

any pet of mine that has died has received the traditional burial in the back yard.

However, and I know this is going to sound really odd to most of you, but I plan on having my cat mummified when he dies. He'll be mummified and placed in an Egyptian cask that's shaped like a cat, just like the egyptians used to do. I just like the idea of having him "immortalized." If any kitty deserves "eternal life," it's my Bastian. I even named him after the Egyptian cat goddess, Bast. Ok, push your jaws back up. I'm finished talking about cat mummies. :)

I currently have a small pet cemetary in the back yard that holds an amel corn that died when she was very young, a chinese water dragon that died of old age, a baby chinchilla that died due to birth defects (I bred chinchillas for a little while), and a couple orandas that were too large to flush.

I won't ever have children, so my animals take their place. I could never skin one of my pets, eventhough I guess mummifying is almost in the same category. :shrugs:

I've only had one adult corn death, and it went from the freezer to the garbage. :shrugs: That was quite some time ago.

For those that have a local college, there may be a unique option for you. I have had a local instructor request dead adult corns from me (if and when it should happen) in order to supply the body to their carrion beatles . . .then they want to reconstruct the skeleton! That actually intrigues me quite a bit!! :)

D80

Drizzt80 said:
I've only had one adult corn death, and it went from the freezer to the garbage. :shrugs: That was quite some time ago.

For those that have a local college, there may be a unique option for you. I have had a local instructor request dead adult corns from me (if and when it should happen) in order to supply the body to their carrion beatles . . .then they want to reconstruct the skeleton! That actually intrigues me quite a bit!! :)

D80
On a creepier note, just imagine donating your body to the college for that as well. :sidestep:

There is a local college here that has a vet school. I am sure they would take any adult snakes as well for examinations.

When I lose any kind of small animal, I zip it up in a plastic baggie and put it in the freezer. Then it goes into the garbage on trash day. It is easy, sanitary, and there is no chance of the dead animal being dug up by a stray dog or cat. There's just something creepy to me about having a backyard full of little skeletons. :rolleyes:

diamondlil said:
I know this is a little :-offtopic , but because of my irregular shifts, my freezer has also played host to various pet mice, hamsters, and a cat. Probably explains why no-one in this household was fazed by frozen mice for the snakes :sidestep: (This is why I never ever pretend to be normal

Ditto here. When I was 10 my beloved pet hamster died. I cried for days. I made a little coffin for her out of a small box and placed flowers inside. I had to keep her in the freezer until my parents had time to dig a grave. Every day for about a week I'd take her out and pet her. I freaked out quite a few of my friends.

A few weeks ago one of those old friends asked me if I still keep dead animals in my freezer. I did a quick inventory and told her that yes, as a matter of fact, I had about 150 mice and one bird on the shelf below my ice cream.

My friends think I'm nuts. :crazy02:

Voodoo said:
However, and I know this is going to sound really odd to most of you, but I plan on having my cat mummified when he dies. He'll be mummified and placed in an Egyptian cask that's shaped like a cat, just like the egyptians used to do.

I won't ever have children, so my animals take their place. I could never skin one of my pets, eventhough I guess mummifying is almost in the same category. :shrugs:

I too want to have my dear cat embalmed. I used to study Egyptology and find it very fascinating. I could never skin one of my animals because to me they are my children. (I do not think I will ever have kids either lol)

I've had a hatchling and an adult die on me in the last year. The adult went into the dumpster, and the hatchling was thrown into the river behind my apartment.

Once an animal is dead, it's not my pet anymore, it's just a body. They get wrapped up and chucked in the bin to be taken away.

That's fine for pet rodents, corn snakes, little things like that, but I think when the time comes for my cats (or if I ever have a fully grown retic or similar die on me), then it'll be off to the vets for cremation, or get the council to take the body away.

I went with a friend when she had her horse euthanised recently. She'd never had any pets die before so she found that realising it was 'just a body' was good for the process of letting go

I've yet to lose a snake, but when my cat died, I had her cremated. I scattered the majority of her ashes and the bit that remained is tucked inside a locket that hangs above my computer on the wall. When Rosie passes on, I plan to do the same thing, Though I also want to get a small tattoo of her with wings on my right ankle.

2 years later n i stil have my first amel corn in the freezer keep forgetting to throw out.plus a non eating milksnake.what is weird is i had them out to show a friend earlier and the corn is shedding scales there jus rubbing off but she is still retaining her color

diamondlil said:
I went with a friend when she had her horse euthanised recently. She'd never had any pets die before so she found that realising it was 'just a body' was good for the process of letting go

What do they do with dead horses over there? Here, it's against the law to just bury it in your yard, though obviously people do. We had a horse die the day before leaving for vacation in Mexico. Luckily, we had brought all our horses over to a friend's to get babysat, and she died there, and it was winter, so she stayed frozen for the nearly a week it took the renderer to come get her...

I have some little bodies buried in the yard- mostly little birds that get hit by cars that die before I get them home.

I have a dead toad (died of natural causes) in the freezer for scenting, but it doesn't work. I should probably throw it away.

Nanci

Roy Munson said:
I've had a hatchling and an adult die on me in the last year. The adult went into the dumpster, and the hatchling was thrown into the river behind my apartment.

You really are evil incarnate :rolleyes:

i haven't had a snake die on me, but i did have 5 dogs die on me and they are burried in my yard, i have also had 2 anoles and they were burried in a tin can. i cant imangine just throwing them away, or tossing in a river. when my cat dies im getting him creamated, he is like my best friend

ILOVECORNSNAKES said:
i haven't had a snake die on me, but i did have 5 dogs die on me and they are burried in my yard, i have also had 2 anoles and they were burried in a tin can. i cant imangine just throwing them away, or tossing in a river. when my cat dies im getting him creamated, he is like my best friend

I personally dont see anything wrong with putting them back with Nature such as discarding in a river if they are non infectious. I too have put an adult in a trash bin because I didnt want other animals to eat it and risk an infection since the animal died of disease.

I live in a flat, so burial is out of the question.

The adults that have died with me have gone into the trash carefully wrapped in multiple plastic bags, to dissuade the local foxes from getting to them.

The ones that died with a vet have been disposed of by them in their usual way. I don't ask for any remains back.

I'm afraid deceased hatchlings get flushed down the toilet. I'm still not quite ready to try feeding them to my Kingsnake, although I'm sure this must be the best way to return them back to the natural cycle.

Tula_Montage said:
You really are evil incarnate :rolleyes:
You know it, baby. And my snake-disposal methods are just the tip of the iceberg. :devil01:

ILOVECORNSNAKES said:
i cant imangine just throwing them away, or tossing in a river.

dawnrenee2000 said:
I personally dont see anything wrong with putting them back with Nature such as discarding in a river if they are non infectious. I too have put an adult in a trash bin because I didnt want other animals to eat it and risk an infection since the animal died of disease.
I multi-wrapped the adult that I put in the dumpster, to try to prevent any other animals from coming in contact with it. It was a quarantined w/c adult that just didn't make it. The hatchling was a classic "failure to thrive" case. But in case it was something more serious, I opted not to give it to a king. "Burial at sea" seemed like a respectful option. You wouldn't believe how many refused f/t mice I've thrown into that river or in the surrounding woods.

Nanci said:
What do they do with dead horses over there? Here, it's against the law to just bury it in your yard, though obviously people do. We had a horse die the day before leaving for vacation in Mexico. Luckily, we had brought all our horses over to a friend's to get babysat, and she died there, and it was winter, so she stayed frozen for the nearly a week it took the renderer to come get her...

I have some little bodies buried in the yard- mostly little birds that get hit by cars that die before I get them home.

I have a dead toad (died of natural causes) in the freezer for scenting, but it doesn't work. I should probably throw it away.

Nanci
My friend was given the option of having her horse killed using the bolt gun and given to the local wildlife park to feed the carnivores, or euthanised and cremated, which was what she chose.

Roy Munson said:
You wouldn't believe how many refused f/t mice I've thrown into that river or in the surrounding woods.

Sounds like a smart thing to do if you want some wild caught snakes! :grin01:

Back