• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thread netiquette: Off-topic vs. digression

desertanimal

2003 UB313
So, we have an emoticon holding an off-topic placard. I've seen it used two ways. 1) People sometimes use it to declare their own post off-topic as a sort of "excuse me, thanks for letting me into traffic" wave. 2) People use it to flag other people's off-topic posts as they might use their horn to communicate their displeasure at someone in traffic.

Some people make comments about how threads "took detours" or "got off topic for a while."

So what is the consensus on how far it is appropriate to wander from the original topic? I'm interested to hear opinions. I'll start with mine.

Like everyone, I find it jolting to start reading a thread about breeding an amel to a lavender and to find a post that interjects "here is my amel too his name is ralph what do you think is it a boy please comment." But, I don't feel that every single post should or must pertain to the original thread topic. I am a talker. Not only that, I have a knack for digression. This habit finds its way into my internet conversations as well. So I think it perfectly acceptable when someone (say myself) latches onto a statement in a post that he or she finds objectionable or interesting or whatever and initiates further discussion of that particular part of a thread, even if that topic isn't actually directly related to the original topic. As long as a post relates to some previous post in the thread, I think it perfectly acceptable for a net conversation to meander as it does in real life. Others, I think, like topically tighter threads than I. What's the consensus?

I agree. Most conversations tend to move from topic to topic. I don't mind if a topic I started about a National Geographic program on snakes and gators turn into a conversation about the Everglades. It happens.

I am one who uses the :-offtopic icon on myself, just to show that I am straying from the original thread topic...and that I am well aware that I am doing this. :grin01:

desertanimal said:
I am a talker. Not only that, I have a knack for digression.

I share these traits with you. There's a difference between a conversational detour and an outright hijacking. Sometimes there's a fine line, and I'm not always sure where it is myself. And sometimes there are digressions that are more or less palateable depending on how they're done. Example: I post a thread in the photo gallery featuring my sunglow motley.

Off-topic Reply #1: Hi. I have an amel too, but he won't eat. What do I do? I consider this to be an unacceptable breach of etiquette.

Off-topic Reply #2: Hi. I have an amel too. Here's a photo. Do you like him? I can handle this in my own threads, but it is a breach of etiquette.

Off-topic Reply #3: Hi. I hope you don't mind, but here's a photo of my amel too. Still a breach of etiquette, but it's worded in a way that makes me much less inclined to react negatively.

Off-topic Reply #4: My sunglow looks just like that. He's 3 years old, eats like a champ, and I just love him. Well, my own reaction to this is slightly negative, but it's not an egregious breach of etiquette.

Not-So-Off-topic Reply #1: Nice sunglow. I have one that looks just like that. Acceptable. The poster acknowledges the OP, and adds a point of discussion.

Not-So-Off-topic Reply #2: Nice sunglow. By the way, is that blizzard still growing as fast as this sunglow? I have no problem with this sort of digression at all.

Agree that conversations have a natural way of drifting from one topic to the next. If I say something slightly off topic, but still related to the original subject, and it sparks other posts by other people, to me that's just the natural flow and I'm not such an uptight stickler to the rules that this kind of thing would bother me.
I do not like it when (as mentioned) people post pictures of their own snake on someone else's photo thread, or start asking for advice about their problems in a thread where someone else is trying to get help. For instance for a question like 'should I move up from pinkies to fuzzies?' an acceptable reply might be, I did this and waited until my snake was this big. Unacceptable reply would be, my snake just regurged what to do? These posters should start their own thread!
Small pet peeve, when somebody posts a picture thread of their snake if you reply it is nice if you make a comment about that snake. "Nice snake' or even 'what an ugly snake' but acknowledge them, but if you just want to discuss the fine points of what makes a silver queen, okeetee, or sunglow do it in a new thread.

Well, I'll try a "this is my snake" pic thread when he comes (shipping delayed by Daytona thing - grrr) but currently I feel that threads that start with some kind of question or concern deserve more thread-revelancy than plain statements, because the person who started the thread is trying to get possibly critical information and I don't want to see that polluted with conversation noise that makes the answer harder to find.

However, if a posting is to an extent complete for its thread, e.g., "this is my snake", then I still think the topic should be held, but with a broader definition of topic. The topic then becomes both the poster and the stated subject, e.g. asking Dean about other snakes of his or suggesting that someone's motley could actually be a normal with an example attached. This also is an option if the purpose of the thread seems to have been met, i.e., the snake is found, the snake eats.

There is also a risk that a relevant reply contains enough material that a following post may be relevant to that reply but not the original thread. It really is a legit reply, but not so much a legit entry in the thread. This sort of thing can draw in even a well-intended and otherwise attentive poster. As a previously notorious lurker, new to frequent online posting, I am trying to make an effort to watch for this.

...and trolls deserve whatever they get, :puke02: , although I generally just ignore them.

-Sean

Roy Munson said:
Off-topic Reply #2: Hi. I have an amel too. Here's a photo. Do you like him? I can handle this in my own threads, but it is a breach of etiquette.
I'm so glad you pointed that out.. I for one am displeased when a thread I made for pictures I worked hard at getting just right gets taken over by someone else's pictures.. I can only approve of it if I ask to see other's snakes also.. But that's just me. :)

hana

And we musn't forget those exceptional hijackers that post in a For Sale ad: "Awesome snake, wish I could buy it..." I need a hair pulling emoticon for that one.

And Dean you ARE my hero today! I totally go through those levels in my head when I'm either replying to a thread or when other people jump into one of my threads. Although I am guilty of not following the rules sometimes.

While generally I don't mind or raise a ruckus to wayward interlopers outside of my first statement, some people really have no netiquette at all. No surprise really, people have no etiquette in real life either. But, I digress. :grin01:

Geese serp!

I only have negative reactions when someone hijacks my thread with #1 or #2 on Deans list.

:-offtopic There are all kinds of puns in that sentence. :grin01:

I'm looking to add to my collection......does anyone have any Tom Waits bootleg recordings to trade and/or share?

Thanks in advance.

regards,
jazz

I <3
lamp.jpg

Serpwidgets said:
I don't care.
You cared enough to reply. I'm not trying to "catch" you here, Chuck, but I'm guessing that your reply is more of a denunciation of forum "Nazism" than a real statement of indifference. If I'm right, I wish that you had elaborated. Maybe I'm wrong, and you really did mean to convey the idea that you are "above it all" and that the rest of us are idiots for discussing this. That's kind of how I read it before giving your reply more thought. :shrugs:

I agree with Serp. It doesn't bother me when threads go off topic, but I will agree that it's rude to post your pic into another persons thread, unless you are directly asked about your similar snake by that person.

I thought Hurley was hilarious! I love lamp, too. I love desk. :grin01:

Speaking of snakes, this is my dog....what do guys think?

Hmm, I like your dog so much, you should send it my way! :cool:

Well, I guess this thread was begging for it, but I thought the original question had some merit too. I guess at least I'll find out what bugs some of the folks here - we'll see how the memory holds up.

-Sean

Back