• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Thread netiquette: Off-topic vs. digression

jodu said:
By the way I think the photo of you is very flattering.

Awww. Thanks. It's the double-chin I don't like. I'm hypersensitive about that. Always have been, always will be.

Chris Olson said:
.....by blind people?

:roflmao: Nope. I've never had a blind person peg me wrong. Usually it's by people who aren't paying close attention, and then when I reply to them, they catch the voice and correct themselves. Older people often just never catch on. I think their concepts of gender are so narrowly defined and concrete that they just don't question their initial assessment. I've sent so many old ladies back out the bathroom door by standing there washing my hands at the sink I can't count them. Poor women. Then they have to come back in after they double-check the sign, and there's just no way to play that one off. They get so flustered and embarrassed. However, I once had a high-school teacher who knew my name was Stephanie and still thought I was a boy after 3 weeks of class. No one knew he thought that--we thought that after he stopped calling me Scott he had it figured out. We were apparently wrong, and by then I was too embarrassed to tell him myself. It was all just too mind-blowing. We had another teacher tell him, and he was so humiliated that he never said another word to me. I don't know what his deal was, exactly. But some people are convinced that a certain set of behavioral characteristics = male, even if some other very obvious biological ones = female.

It goes both ways, too. My sister in law's boyfriend is a big, doughy, dopey guy. I mean about as stereotypical dopey high school senior guy as you can get. But he is Latino and has long, healthy, beautiful dark glossy hair. He is constantly mistaken for a girl. And that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. There is no female anywhere, not even the F to M transgendered people I have known, that stand and move like Joe. It's insane that anyone would be able to mistake him for a girl, but they do.

I guess hair is a really important componenet of gender identity. There's a book called Rapunzel's daughters written by a sociologist from ASU about hair and gender identity. It's on my shelf because my picture's in it. Maybe I should read it. :rolleyes:

Chris Olson said:
:grin01: ....so are boobs.... :grin01:
If that's the case, I'm becoming more woman with each passing year....

....and each passing donut. :crazy02:

regards,
jazz

jazzgeek said:
If that's the case, I'm becoming more woman with each passing year....

....and each passing donut. :crazy02:

regards,
jazz

:roflmao: Oh dear god.....what a group.....

desertanimal said:
It goes both ways, too. My sister in law's boyfriend is a big, doughy, dopey guy. I mean about as stereotypical dopey high school senior guy as you can get. But he is Latino and has long, healthy, beautiful dark glossy hair. He is constantly mistaken for a girl. And that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. There is no female anywhere, not even the F to M transgendered people I have known, that stand and move like Joe. It's insane that anyone would be able to mistake him for a girl, but they do.

I guess hair is a really important componenet of gender identity. There's a book called Rapunzel's daughters written by a sociologist from ASU about hair and gender identity. It's on my shelf because my picture's in it. Maybe I should read it. :rolleyes:

YES! My husband gets mistaken for a woman all the time! Every inch of his body, every mannerism, his deep voice, scream man. He'd be the most hideous woman that ever existed.

Attachments

• mike.JPG
    mike.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 57
  • nails 009.jpg
    nails 009.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 57
Mary-Beth said:
YES! My husband gets mistaken for a woman all the time! Every inch of his body, every mannerism, his deep voice, scream man. He'd be the most hideous woman that ever existed.

...hey, I think I know that chick! :grin01:

Chris

Chris Olson said:
:grin01: ....so are boobs.... :grin01:

Chris

I agree! And some of us (especially my wife) pay a lot more attention to those than to hairstyles!
:grin01:

Mary-Beth, it's a lot more surprising to me that guys like that get mistaken for women than it is that I get mistaken for a guy. Crazy. :crazy02: But he does have nice hair . . .

Hypancistrus said:
I believe Hurley has romantic attachments to a lamp. :eek1:
No, no, Connie is selling a lamp or asking us if we like her lamp! :crazy02:
desertanimal said:
Teratoma--Let me start by saying that your screen name really unsettles me and I find it difficult to take you seriously because of it. I would very much like you to post a picture of yourself so that I stop imagining you with a giant teratoma for a head. And yes, I am quite serious. Since this is my thread, I don't care how off-topic it is. Please, please post a pic. Alternatively, please explain that your teratoma means something other than what I'm thinking it means, and that may help me.
I didn't know what a Teratoma was so I looked it up and thought it very strange that it could have been taken as a screen name...
Islandzoo said:
I think it's really rude, when you post a topic about whatever it might be, and somebody replies, then someone else comes along....
" Hey mate! long time no see, so how are you doing" in reply to the person that replied to you - and then they continue on their conversation, ignoring your topic completely! that's plain rude.
I totally agree!
Teratoma said:
I was wondering if anybody knew what that meant.
What exactly made you chose it?
Mary-Beth said:
Love the hair! Wanna wanna wanna!

Ok, I stop making comments on other people's post and give my point of view.
It bugs me when the original post is:
1- being ignored
2- being hijacked
3- over taken with the same subject but to someone else's snake. What I mean by that is that even if the general subject is the same, the circonstances/details are different for each snake and if your questions were not answered by reading that particular thread or when using the search function, you should create your own thread with "your" info about your snake.... blimey, you I go on or what!
On the other hand, it doesn't bother me if there are some :-offtopic here and there, it is normal and should not be frowned upon at the first sign of being slightly off ;)

I can handle a lot off topic wise, as long as my initial post is recognized and commented, even if it is indirect through a relevant discussion.

Ow, and @desertanimal, I allso thought you were a boy, cause I do not look at boobs... my b/fr does and identified you as a female though!

Uh. Well, . . . yes. Not in a lewd, lascivious, or objectifying manner, but they usually don't go by unnoticed, either.

Erm, it is not really relevant, and maybe I misinterprete your explanation, but do you mean you are a lesbian or that you usually just happen to see boobs?

Blutengel said:
Erm, it is not really relevant, and maybe I misinterprete your explanation, but do you mean you are a lesbian or that you usually just happen to see boobs?

I think the statement "especially my wife..." let the proverbial cat out of the bag on that one! :cool:

I notice boobs, too....and I am happily married....to a man. :grin01:

Back