• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help!!! Emergency!!

Keva161

I got my corn a few days ago.

Everything has been fine till now...

Got home from work and it was nowhere to be seen. After a hour of looking I was ready to give up ... then I looked under the viv. It was there! I gently put it bck down too call my Dad to help me. Their was this loud hissing sound though so I scared and made my Dad come quick. Lifted it up and got him out. He looked dead. We put him in his viv were it was warm and he started to move! His neck looks crumpled though.

Is he gonna be ok? He is moving about a bit know but im scared that because of this he wont be able to eat and will die :(

Posting a photo will definately help. I sure hope your little guy is okay and did you figure out how he might have gotten out?!? Look real careful you wouldnt want it to happen again.

Sorry for the crap quality.

It is moving its while body now but the neck area looks horrible. Its kinda grey and theres a bit of blood ... not alot though. It can move about now so I guess its sorting itself out. When I pick it up though it just seems lifeless ... It doesnt try to correct it self and is all floppy. I guess I can only give it time.

Im really scared its gonna die ... ive only had it for 3 days!

I dunno if its dead now but I just touched the injured bit and its all hard. Its not moving now so I fear the worst.

Keva161 said:
I live in Mere in Wiltshire. I dunno were the nearest vet is.
Dr. Mark Kombert
Garston Veterinary Group
Wingfield Road
Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14 9EW
Tel: 01225 754021
Tel: 01225 754105
Fax: 01225 755542
[Website]

Just phoned up a vet a hour away and he reckons its just the muscle thats compressed and to give it a few days to try and sort itself out. Theres not much he can do apart from putting it down.

What a nasty start for you.

I think the vet's right - he probably doesn't have any options other than euthanasia, which means your best approach is to give the little fella a chance to recover.

I can't really see anything from your photos, but it does sound like he's suffered some sort of crush injury during the escape.

Corns can be very resilient to this kind of injury - he could have damaged his ribs but might still recover. If he can still move his head then he's unlikely to have severe damage to his spine, which would improve chances of recovery.

As you've only had him for a few days, the going floppy could just be the defence mechanism of "playing dead" in the hope that a predator will lose interest and drop him; he doesn't understand thet you're safe yet, so that could be nothing.

As there's blood, can you see any injury? You might want to give the wound a dab of a reptile-safe antiseptic like Betadine (available at most vet surgeries).

As worrying as it may seem, I think the best thing you can do is just leave him in peace for a few days (don't pick him up and try to keep peeking to a minimum) and see what happens.

And please try and find out how he escaped. Even if he's under the weather, he will go back and try to use that escape route again.

I have no idea how ge got out. The viv is completly sealed so unless he got out though the door and closed it again im not sure.

Thanks diamondlil for the link. It sounds exactly like whats happened. Bit scared if hes gonna suffer pernament damage from this. Im so scared for him right now.

Hes due to be fed today but he wont be able to eat for a month if hes like this :(

yeah there really isn't much a vet can do for a snake, especially with wounds. Though your snake could easily be in a lot of shock from being in the cold and with the injury, i'd say don't pick him up and just leave him to his own devices for a few days and make sure he's comfortable and see what happens.

Its difficult to do but just sit tight...

I feel sick just thinking about the poor snake :( and I've read that thread on the link too. I can't imagine what I'd feel like if one of my snakes got injured!! Makes me sad!

I really hope your corn pulls through! I will be sending good vibes across from NI for a few days :) Keep us posted.

Ill try and keep this thread upto date with his progress. He's under is fav hide and just resting at the moment. He has moved his head from side to side so he's got some motion their. Im gonna turn out all the lights and go watch some TV. I must admit, this has shocked me alot.

When you decide to feed him again, and I would wait another week or two, I would start with the smallest meals you can find to make sure they can pass through any damaged portions of the neck. I hope he recovers fully.

I agree with Bitsy, there is a way he got out and its important you find out how.

Whats the point of him getting better when hes going to escape and possibly get hurt again. Getting out is how he got injured.....its important you figure that out. Is he in a tank like set up? Do you use clips? Snakes push up on lids that arent locked down......they push on any door that isnt absolutely solid in place.....and any hole big enough for him to fit his nose into he can wiggle through.

Is it he possible he lifted something up and slid out, before he came through it the lid or door came down onto him? Cause by what your saying, he didnt go far.

Aww..I'm sorry to hear things havent gotten much better but like I said in the beginning look to see how he got out..he will do it again and you will go thru this possible heartbreak all over and the poor snake will suffer more..they are very ingenius and can get out in the smallest of spots..maybe posts some pics of his set up so we can help you figure out how he got out.

for now it sounds like you have all the advice you can handle..lots of good vibes coming your way and we sure hope he makes it..Keep everyone posted!!!

I added the lock tonight.

He was under the viv so maybe he pushed the door open, then swung round and went under.

You can see the big bit of bark that he's sitting under on the bottom right.

He seems to be ok, he is moving about a bit now ... hasn't ventured out for water that ive seen.

Going over the incidint in my head, Im sure I heard something crack. Maybe he broke a bone or something in his neck. Im not sure on the healing time for snakes but as hes only a young one (afew months I think) he should bounce back :)

Back