• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Cleo the Butter Motley

Thanks Ken, when I know something I will post it here.

This is the same offfice I took Mandy to, but she saw a different vet. We are lucky that we have a number of reptile vets in the Chicago area, though this is the closest and it's still a 25 minute trip. I was especially pleased Cleo produced her sample in the office and we didn't have to make a special fecal run, lol.

Thanks Ken, when I know something I will post it here.

This is the same offfice I took Mandy to, but she saw a different vet. We are lucky that we have a number of reptile vets in the Chicago area, though this is the closest and it's still a 25 minute trip. I was especially pleased Cleo produced her sample in the office and we didn't have to make a special fecal run, lol.

Hi Dollysmom! How ya been?

Upon closer inspection of that very clear photo (GREAT CAM, btw), I noticed that there is at least one Neal Diamond CD in your collection. I know our little sneaky ones can't actually "hear" in the same way we do, but the vibrations from that particular gentleman has been known to cause gastrointestinal discomfort and irritable bowel syndrome in humans (I can personally attest to the former as a result of unintentional listening once)! In addition, I once was trying to change the station in the car when my wife had an Easy Listening station on and got lost for nine miles as a result of listening to the first two stanzas of Sweet Caroline! No offense of course, I don't even know if you listen to that, just a cautionary word to someone I care about!

:poke:

Only joshing, of course! In any case, and on a serious note, Cleo remains in my thoughts and prayers!

Thanks Axis! I appreciate your prayers and good wishes!

Now just to be clear, that's not my Neil Diamond! Besides CDs are so 90s. All my music is in iTunes. I have eclectic musical tastes, but there's nothing easy about my listening, lol.

Thanks Axis! I appreciate your prayers and good wishes!

Now just to be clear, that's not my Neil Diamond! Besides CDs are so 90s. All my music is in iTunes. I have eclectic musical tastes, but there's nothing easy about my listening, lol.

Well THAT'S actually a RELIEF! (Didn't wanna be so blunt about my concern but you obviously know what I mean so ill leave it there, lest I annoy or provoke someone else! LOL!).

Speaking of which, where the hell IS everybody? This board is acting deader than a morticians convention lately. HEY EVERYONE! Wake up! Halloween is almost upon us!

Anyhoo, glad to hear it Dollysmom! I guess I am getting old, but when I think about it, I also can't remember the last time I cracked open a CD case. I've been hooked up to Spotify mostly, as they have almost anything. Way more than enough diversity to make some very flexible playlists anyway.

Will keep my eyes and ears open on updates about Cleo. Be well!

Thanks Axis. When I posted that pic, I knew someone would notice that, lol!

Thanks everyone who has prayed or had a good thought for Cleo these past few days. Continued prayer and good wishes are appreciated. She is behaving normally. The bump that was aspirated and her tail where the blood was drawn look fine. Her tail is totally strong and mobile so that is good.

The vet just called and all her blood work came back normal. So that is excellent news. Her fecal was fine as well. They saw a few pinworm eggs, but that's just from prey ingestion so there is no problem there. I'm taking her back to the vet on November 14 for X-rays, a general check up, and perhaps another fine needle aspiration. I'm waiting to give her a chance to rest before being put through more tests and the vet agrees. In the meantime, I'm going to watch for any changes. One possibility is a congenital anomaly of some kind. The vet is extremely interested in this, that's for certain.

So continuing prayers are appreciated. I'm at peace knowing that I'm doing what I can to help her and that in the meantime she seems fine. I very much believe that she's mine for a reason.

Here she is this morning:

YePIOu0l.jpg

Hi Dollysmom! How ya been?

So glad that the results have come back with nothing significantly serious! That's a real blessing! Will keep Cleo in my thoughts and prayers!

Thank you so much, Axis. Your prayers are very appreciated!

She's such a sweet little girl. She's taken her little mouse tummy into her hide and is all curled up digesting now :)

It's funny. After losing Dolly, I have treasured each day with each of my "snabies". I know that you never know. Now that Cleo has come down with "mystery bumps", I treasure each moment more. I don't know what this is or how it may affect her. She may have a long and relatively normal life, or not. And of course it is the possible "or not" that is so scary. The thought of losing her is devastating. On the other hand I know that if the day comes and I have to make the tough decision, I will put her comfort and quality of life first.

The fact that she is eating, pooping and otherwise behaving normally at this point is good. But clearly, something is causing the mystery bumps, they are not normal, and they signal that something is not right. All I can do is be hyper observant at this point.

So far, no one has ever seen anything like this before. The good news is that her job in life is beloved pet. She was never going to be bred. Hopefully this is not life threatening and we will go on as before.

There are not too many places to go diagnostically. There is no Mayo Clinic for snakes. I have no doubt that my vet is doing what he can to get an answer from his colleagues and the literature.

In the meantime, she's the precious and sweet little soul she has always been. She has always melted my heart, but now even more so.

Here she is peeking out of her warm hide this morning. What a little love bug!

KRua6Itl.jpg

I have a couple of relatives that work at Idexx Labs and I'm always suggesting that they get into developing tests and testing equipment for reptiles. Reptile Vets are few and far. I was fortunate to have a "in house" Vet at my pet store that also was into reptiles. She could get on hand experience with diagnosing and treating my reptiles. That being said most times she did not come up with an answer even after an autopsy. I learned a lot on how to treat my animals myself. I have missed the early signs of an illness and kick myself for it! A few "I'm an idiot" moments that I still feel the guilt over :(

What I love about you is that you put the same value on life whether it is a higher end morph or a normal! You appreciate what you get from your "snabies" in your heart and not just with your eyes.
Hope your Vet figures it out soon and all turns out well!

Thanks daddio. Since reptile ownership is only growing, I hope that the veterinary research and knowledge grows as well. The deeper I get into herpetology, the more I understand what is not known.

The good news is that I really hit it off with this vet. He has a true feel for snakes. I know he wants to solve this mystery and be able to help Cleo as much as I do.

You get a feel talking to someone and I haven't mentioned it, but I spent a good hour at the office with her on Monday. A lot of that time was just talking with the vet. When you have a vet who clearly enjoys talking snakes, it's a good thing. I could see him going through a mental check list and he asked me many questions just trying to find something that could be the cause.

When the tests came back and I asked about it possibly being leaking blood vessels he explained how vascular disease would present a lot differently in a snake than this is presenting. He suggested what we could do to try to get to the bottom of this, but there is no pressure on me. It is my choice to take her back for x-rays in a few weeks.

We also discussed her being a triple trait morph and that things can happen with inbreeding. What I love is that in spite of the fact that Cleo is not an expensive or rare morph, he still calls her a "special" morph and thinks she's stunning.

As to me and normals, I think corn snakes are just beautiful in their most usual form. While I understand that all traits are naturally occurring many of them would be rare and the individuals could not survive in the wild without human intervention. Mandy is every bit as beautiful as Cleo. I have Cleo not because I went to the show looking for a butter motley, but that this sweet little being looked up at me from a table of deli cups and I fell in love.

Thanks for your kind and supportive words, daddio. Much appreciated. The fact that there are no rapid changes in the week since I discovered this is good news. I'm hopeful for her.

Bahahaha. Silly Cleo. Thanks for the updates on Cleo's condition DollysMom. I've been following her story, and I wanted you to know that I think of you both and I hope that it ends up being nothing serious. You obviously love both Cleo and Mandy so much, and I know that you'll do the best you can for your sweet little ones. Healing thoughts Cleo's way. <3

When I first saw her in this 'hide' I was wondering when you would incorporate this into your viv! Seems she likes the Puma brand quite a bit! (I have a Saucony Triumph 10 if you think that might work better!)

Attachments

• 36_2_36.gif
    36_2_36.gif
    41.1 KB · Views: 34
Lol, Ken. I wonder if Puma needs a snakes-model?

I can see it now: Puma, preferred by corn snakes everywhere!

Before dropping her off to the post office, put in bubble wrap! (Just like a kid ... always playing with the box!)

Back