• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Cleo the Butter Motley

Cleo is 3 ft 1 inches long! She's grown 2 inches and 25 grams in just over a month. She's still eating hoppers in the 10 to 12 gram region and only once a week, which I believe is appropriate for a growing snake. I will have had her a year on Monday, October 10.

JN1PXU4l.jpg

Last year and today:

tK83Fsyl.jpg

wPHmJTnl.jpg

So, evidently Cleo had really been holding poop before the shed. She lost 4 grams. This is not the first time she's done this. Her official anniversary weight is 160 and her official anniversary length is 3' 1".

Needless to say, she made quick work of her mouse last night. She's now sleeping it off.

Happy anniversary dear Cleo. It has been a wonderful first year with you! I love you little snakey girl. :dancer:

DTEvImyl.jpg

Attachments

• snakepic.jpeg
    snakepic.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 59
Well, guess we can't say 'baby Cleo' anymore! She's a big girl now!

Attachments

• Snip20161011_2.png
    Snip20161011_2.png
    535.9 KB · Views: 56
Cleo goes to the vet

I'm posting Tuesday morning having gone through every imaginable emotion over the weekend.

On Friday afternoon I discovered some smallish bumps, mostly on Cleo's left side, but a few on the right side. They are all at the same level in a row. I immediately knew they were not normal. So within 15 minutes I called our vet and got an appointment for Monday (yesterday) afternoon.

I had already filled out a general history form for Cleo and the vet gave her a thorough exam. He was so gentle with her. Everything checked out, mouth, nose, skin. We agree she's just a little chunky, but she's a growing snake.

So the vet did a fine needle aspiration on the largest bump and found non-specific fluid and one inflammatory cell. Whatever this is, it is not immediately obvious.

Cleo was so cute there and nearly crawled into the vet's pocket. I didn't have a fecal sample since she had been last fed a week ago Sunday and had a nice big poop mid week. Not to disappoint, after crawling around on a towel on the exam table, she gave us a sample. The vet brought a container and I laughed and said, "it's all yours, doc."

After that we agreed that blood work was in order so the vet took her in back to see if he could get blood from her tail. It was reported to me that she musked him. She must have been pretty upset with being poked in the tail. Cleo has never musked before.

Here's what was done:

9zfbpISl.jpg

We talked for a while about what to watch for. We are waiting for the blood results and in the meantime he's going to do some research. Whatever this is, it not obvious or usual. He told me some things to watch for. So far so good. The puncture in her tail is looking fine this morning and so is the bump where he took the fluid.

I did have a great time talking snakes with the vet. He has a true feel for them. Cleo wrapped around my hand as we talked and we discussed how they "know" their people.

It is funny how life can turn upside down in an instant. I'll keep you posted. Prayers and good wishes appreciated.

Pictures of Cleo last week-- the bumps don't show up in photos and you can't feel them when you run your hands down her sides. They are all in her last third but not the tail.

GSTSlqBl.jpg

GUEd81Ul.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll let us know what's going on. Hope all's well. Glad you have a good snake vet. I'm not sure if we have one around here or not. Might be good to research that!

Back