• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How Long Can I Leave Eggs With Mom?

AliCat37

Michelle's Candied Corns!
Hello everyone!
So, I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to the breeding know-how. My snake is throwing me a new one this year.. my previous breedings were nice because one day there were no eggs, the next day all of them were laid. Well..

My girl started to lay eggs on Monday night.. it is now Wednesday morning, and she still has several more to pass... at least 36 hours later. I know that the eggs can't be turned after a while.. and I'm not sure how long that "while" is. I have seen on other forums that they can take weeks to lay all their eggs- how long do you wait before calling them egg bound and subsequently intervening? Also.. I know it is not good to constantly pester the snakes. I have only checked on her twice a day, once at night, and once again in the morning. Is waiting 12 hours between check ins OK, or should I only do once every 24 hours or less? Is there any risk of leaving the eggs with her until she is done, or do I need to remove them soon and wait for her to lay the rest? I just don't want to disturb her/stress her out by messing with the eggs that are already laid.
Thanks!

Where are the eggs in her body? Close to the exit, or up further?

I'd remove the clutch tonight and start incubating, and I'd _think_ about removing a stuck egg by aspirating it if it's been right at the vent for some time, or _think_ about giving her a small meal if the eggs are further up. Or thing about asking Kathy Love for advice! ;-)

Haha thanks Nanci! I'll move the eggs from the lay box tonight. The eggs are near the vent, and since I have only peeked in on her, I'm not sure if she's moving them. She has laid a bunch so far! At least from why I see at a glance. If I don't see more eggs moving out after I get the others from the box I'll talk to Kathy about aspirating the remaining eggs.

If that's what you decide to do, it might be worth it to just aspirate the first egg and see if the one egg was holding up the rest.

I'll remove the laid eggs tonight and if she doesn't lay the rest by tomorrow night I'll look into aspirating the one in the front. Thanks again Nanci!

Okay so I just got home and pulled her out. She definitely needs help!! I looked at the video posted here about aspirating eggs, and I realized that is much more complex than I thought. For some reason I thought I just needed to gently take a needle and pop the egg through the cloaca, not that I needed access to syringes and hollow needles, I have no way to access those. :( I will let her go for a swim and put some lubricant in her cloaca with a sexing probe, but any other tips or help would be much appreciated.

Is the Egg Right at the vent???

You May be able to prick the the egg...if you can CLEARLY see the end of the egg sticking out the cloaca ...Make sure there isn't a membrane covering the egg.

I've done an egg-removal procedure twice now.....It's not terribly difficult....but you may need an extra pair of hands.

I'd call kathy, she helped me the first time thru.

Is the Egg Right at the vent???

You May be able to prick the the egg...if you can CLEARLY see the end of the egg sticking out the cloaca ...Make sure there isn't a membrane covering the egg.

I've done an egg-removal procedure twice now.....It's not terribly difficult....but you may need an extra pair of hands.

I'd call kathy, she helped me the first time thru.

Yeah, they are right at the vent. I sent Kathy a PM. I'll see if I can see the egg once I use the probe.. just go gently around and around until the vent opens up, right? That's what I understood from reading somewhere.. I do have Kathy's book laying around on my nightstand I'll pick it up and take a look.

Sorry I can't be of any help. Just wanted to send some good thoughts for your girl your way! Hope everything turns out good.

Thanks! I just got her out of the bath, lubed her a little bit (hard to do by yourself when the snake is uncooperative to begin with LOL). She actually laid 12 eggs, I went back and looked (two are probably slugs). I hear her digging around in the nest box again, so I'm going to leave her be and check again in the morning. If she still is blocked up I'm going to call my herp vet and see if they can see her tomorrow afternoon.

Aspirating is not difficult, and syringes and hollow needles can be bought over the counter from any drug store. At least in Canada...

Kathy will walk you through it! If you feel more comfortable having a vet do it though, then by all means! Never hurts.

Aspirating is not difficult, and syringes and hollow needles can be bought over the counter from any drug store. At least in Canada...

Kathy will walk you through it! If you feel more comfortable having a vet do it though, then by all means! Never hurts.

I can do it.. just not sure where to get the needle and syringe.
I don't think they sell them at the drug stores here.

(Sarcastic statement warning! Unless by drug store you mean the people living by the creek that knock on the windows of cars at drive through windows in COS:punch:...)

You can get them at CVS, Walgreens, etc...just ask the pharmacist. Good luck!

Great! I'll stop in and get some tomorrow afternoon and aspirate that first egg if it has not been passed by then. She DID poop while she was in the water, so I take that as a good sign, but don't have high hopes of that egg being passed.

You'll need cotton balls, and 2 bottles of alchohol , one to sterilize the puncture sight.... And one to calm your nerves! ;). Best of luck!!!

I can do it.. just not sure where to get the needle and syringe.
I don't think they sell them at the drug stores here.

(Sarcastic statement warning! Unless by drug store you mean the people living by the creek that knock on the windows of cars at drive through windows in COS:punch:...)
\

LOL!!

And yes I should have clarified that you have to ask for them at the pharmacy. Maybe clear it up with Kathy what gauge of needle you should use, as I'm not too sure on that.

I'm not of any help as far as advice,but I'm thinking about y'all & sending positive vibes your way--hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Back