• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How Long Can I Leave Eggs With Mom?

I tried to find a large needle but didn't have much luck, I got a smaller one but I think it will work. Forgot to ask, needing to sterilize the cage... What do I do with the nest box?

Oh, and the needles I got are 25. So they are a little small, but hopefully will work. The only bigger needles were too long, and I didn't want to go over 1 inch.

I'd save it. If you only remove one egg, I think the benefit of being able to attempt to finish laying outweighs the danger of infection. I guess you could boil the moss and cool it. Maybe just immerse it in boiling water and drain and cool?

That would work, but I gave her vermiculite to lay in. I could go see if there is any moss in the shed and do that. If not, could I tear up a bunch of paper towels, wet them, and leave her with those?

Is it in her best interest to aspirate? It's been almost 72 hours since she laid the last 12. Reason I ask is because another breeder on FB told me to wait it out, but I worry about them calcifying. It seems like a better solution to aspirate the first one and see if she passes it and lays the last few eggs within the next few days, then repeating the aspiration if needed.

I would go by whatever Kathy says. I _have_ heard that the eggs will solidify if left, and you won't be able to aspirate. Have you tried exploring with a probe to see if you can reach the first egg?

I would go by whatever Kathy says. I _have_ heard that the eggs will solidify if left, and you won't be able to aspirate. Have you tried exploring with a probe to see if you can reach the first egg?

I did. And as silly as it sounds, I couldn't get the probe (lube and everything) into the cloaca. I got in once, and she moved away, and I couldn't get it again. I didn't have help holding her either, and she is one of my biggest movers, very flighty to begin with. Today I have help to hold her for the aspiration. I'd give the probe another try, but I worry about doing that and having it not work. I work Fri-Sun and I am gone those three whole days instead of commuting back and forth every day. So I if it were to not work, then she'd have that egg right there for an extra 3 days. Kathy did recommend aspirating the egg. I think I'll just do the first one. I was thinking about doing the first two, but it might be easier on her if I just do the one, and if she doesn't pass the others to continue on Monday with the next.

WOW! That was so much simplier than I had thought!
The video that is stickied was super helpful. I watched it a few times yesterday and then just watched it again, as well as made my mom watch it before we started. We cleaned her up, got out the needle, and it was as simple as that! That one egg drained a bit of fluid, and I felt her body loosening up as it drained. She is now a lot squishier there, and hopefully with any luck, she will pass it and the remaining eggs! If she doesn't pass the remaining eggs I'll aspirate those on Sunday or Monday, whichever day I get home. Thanks for all the help!!

I just saw this thread, sorry for the late response. I have always tried to aspirate the first egg through the vent and then once a little drained to grab it and pull it out. Seems to work and let her lay the rest.
I have found the biggest help is another pair of hands. If you need more needles or another set of hands let me know.
Sorry again for the delay and good luck
John

Just got home and checked on her, she is still stuffed up. The aspirated egg has not passed, and she seems very sensitive and angry now. I suppose I will be looking at a vet trip? Or are there any other home remedy ideas? I don't want to wait much longer.

Good news, Nanci!!! I was preparing to go ahead and pull the egg out, so I was soaking my girl when she pooped in the water and kept trying to push the egg! I started to see it every couple of pushes, but she started to look stressed. So I started massaging and on the next three pushes she gave I gently pushed right behind the first egg and out it came!!! I am so happy!! I hope the next three come out on their own, but this gives me so much hope. I appreciate all the help from you and John!

So glad to hear she passed it. Fingers crossed she can get the last few out safely! I've been waiting to hear how she was doing.

She was sleeping last night when I checked after we got it out. It's weird when you realize that snakes sleep. But she was completely still, no tongue flicking and didn't respond to motion. Poor girl needs her rest to get the other three out.

Congrats. I really got swept up in this thread. Also, I don't know where fountain is but if I can ever be of some assistance in some way pm me. I'm trying to get as much hands on experience as possible and am always volunteering to help animals.

Back