• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

6/6/06

jazzgeek said:
:roflmao:

I had to lean in to read the small caption, and I found that funnier than the graphic....

"6-6-06 National Emo Kid Beatdown Day" ......priceless!!

regards,
jazz
Speaking of which...
What do you get when you cross sod with an Emo kid?

A lawn that cuts itself... :grin01:

CaptBogart said:
Speaking of which...
What do you get when you cross sod with an Emo kid?

A lawn that cuts itself... :grin01:
Heh! Reminds me of a review I read recently of one of my newly favorite movies, "The Aristocrats"......

"This film has more cuts in it than a teenage Goth girl." ;)

regards,
jazz

jazzgeek said:
:roflmao:

I had to lean in to read the small caption, and I found that funnier than the graphic....

Yeah, I went back and resized it again. However, it's probably more effective when the reader has to lean in to read the punch-line...No pun intended, of course :rolleyes:

jazzgeek said:
"This film has more cuts in it than a teenage Goth girl." ;)

I know you were joking, but that is a really sensitive topic. Unless of course I understood what you were talking about, in which case, my apologies.

I actually had a really good day on 6/6/06 (except for that night having a horrible dream that I killed my snake :( )

Plissken said:
I know you were joking, but that is a really sensitive topic.
Bear in mind that the words are from the critic, not mine....thus, the quote marks.

And while I understand self-mutilation is a serious topic, one's response can still be humorous without being cruel. One purpose of comedy is take serious issues and make them palatable through laughter.

Unless you're Gallagher or Carrot Top, that is.

Kurt Vonnegut once noted that laughter and crying are two very similar responses borne out of the same stimulus that created the "cognitive dissonance" to begin with. It's just that the former is not as messy as the latter. :)

That said:
  1. I certainly wasn't attempting to offend.
  2. Did you ever notice how New York and Los Angeles are different?
  3. And sheesh, what about that airline food?
:rolleyes:

regards,
jazz

Who knew?

where this thread would meander? It's been interesting to see. I still don't really understand what Emo means. Can anyone explain it?

desertanimal said:
where this thread would meander? It's been interesting to see. I still don't really understand what Emo means. Can anyone explain it?
Wikipedia does a good job of defining Emo, both in terms of music and culture.

regards,
jazz

Well, having grown up under a metaphorical rock, I don't get the music part, but I think I can recognize one now in terms of dress.

But now I REALLY don't get why you might want to punch one. But don't bother explaining--there are lots of things about pop culture I just don't get and I'm ok with that.

It's more the culture, the slang term, that's annoying. As opposed to the music. There are two types, the 90's 'Indie Emo', which isn't really annoying at all, I'm pretty much one myself. It's the Emo's of the 00's.
Here's some of the things about them that annoy me.

1/ Avid Myspace users. - One of the reasons I hate that website with a passion.

2/ They all look the same. You would think that they'd like to appear different? Well, seems they all had that idea. They are sheep.

3/ Guys wearing Girls Jeans. It's just.. no, don't do it.

4/ They've put the good name of Converse down. For many years they have been well known, good quality comfortable shoes. I got my first pair when I was 9. They were Multi-coloured, I got them because I love Grunge and Cobain wore them. :rolleyes:
I got a pair last year and people assume it's an Emo thing!

5/ The high angle/black and white/sometimes mirrored pictures they take of themselves looking downwards, at their shoes. Which brings me onto my next point.

6/ They, for some unknown reason, can't stand normally. They have they toes pointed inwards, which as you know does not happen naturally. They do it by choice. Why? I don't know.

7/ The hair - Whilst some of the hair styles are not too over dramatic, I can live with them. The 'Indie-Emo's' of the '90's for example, aren't that bad. But why on earth would you have the most annoying hair style ever? I knew of a guy at college who had relatively short hair, apart from the foot long emo fringe draped over his face.

Anyway. Rant over. :rolleyes:

jazzgeek said:
Bear in mind that the words are from the critic, not mine....thus, the quote marks.

And while I understand self-mutilation is a serious topic, one's response can still be humorous without being cruel. One purpose of comedy is take serious issues and make them palatable through laughter.

Unless you're Gallagher or Carrot Top, that is.

Kurt Vonnegut once noted that laughter and crying are two very similar responses borne out of the same stimulus that created the "cognitive dissonance" to begin with. It's just that the former is not as messy as the latter. :)

That said:
  1. I certainly wasn't attempting to offend.
  2. Did you ever notice how New York and Los Angeles are different?
  3. And sheesh, what about that airline food?
:rolleyes:

regards,
jazz
]

I realise they weren't your words, Jazz. Again, my apologies. It is just a really personal topic to me, for various reasons, and I don't like seeing it joked about. Nor do I like the stereotypes that seem to surround it - the idea that all self-harmers are Goth girls that listen to Emo music and dress solely in black. :shrugs: It's just not true.

Also, I can understand how joking about a serious subject can make it "palatable", but it just seems wrong to me. I wouldn't make a joke about child abuse because it just isn't done, not in my books.

But still. I know they weren't your words, and no harm done. :)

Carlos, that video was awesome :roflmao:

Plissken said:
Nor do I like the stereotypes that seem to surround it - the idea that all self-harmers are Goth girls that listen to Emo music and dress solely in black. It's just not true.

This is true, there is a small number who may self harm, yes. But the vast majority don't. Especially not the Emo kids. Despite the stereotypical 'dark' look, most of them are very happy people lol.

marty.warwick said:
This is true, there is a small number who may self harm, yes. But the vast majority don't. Especially not the Emo kids. Despite the stereotypical 'dark' look, most of them are very happy people lol.

Absolutely. From my experience it's mostly the people you could never imagine doing it, who are the self-harmers. Not the "goths."
And a percentage of self-harmers aren't even teenagers.
:shrugs:

Plissken said:
Absolutely. From my experience it's mostly the people you could never imagine doing it, who are the self-harmers. Not the "goths."

Another emo annoyance: The 13 year old kiddies who lock themselves away in their bedroom, slitting their wrists with the lyric booklet of the new alexisonfire album...

Plissken said:

And yes that is very true, the biggest percentage is however young women...

Back