• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

6/6/06

Tula, once again oblivious to sensitivity, has taken it over the top.

Hugs all.

BTW, the satan still hasn't given me back my snake, the "beast"ard!

Plissken said:
Also, I can understand how joking about a serious subject can make it "palatable", but it just seems wrong to me. I wouldn't make a joke about child abuse because it just isn't done, not in my books.
I'm sure that 80+% of all humor seems wrong to someone. If you were to take offense at every serious subject that is joked about, you'd live a pretty miserable life. From my user name it should be obvious that I like the movie 'Kingpin'. Alcoholism and physical handicap are very serious subjects, but that movie's a riot. In 'Beetlejuice', Winona Ryder plays a goth-ish, depressed, product of a dysfunctional family. Teen depression and bad home lives are serious subjects. But is it funny when she changes her journal entry from "I am alone." to "I am utterly alone."? Heck yeah. For most of us there are probably subjects that hit too close to home for us to laugh about. Should the author have suspended publication of 101 Uses For a Dead Cat because a significant number of people had lost cats in the year prior?

If I try hard enough, I can be offended by many things. I usually find that it's not worth the effort. ;)

kimbyra said:

Hugs all.

i'm glad you pointed this out,i thought it was over the top aswell. :angry01:

I've been studying comedy lately, in the hope of writing one myself in the future...

But I must agree with Dean here, humour is a very important thing. And it will always be the same situation: What one person will find hysterical, another will find it insulting and offensive. It just can't be helped.

Laughter, by many is considered a good thing. Freud once wrote in his book 'Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious, that laughter is a 'discharge of physical energy'.
Summed up, we use laughter as a 'release' for built up feelings about the given subject. When released (The laugh) We get pleasurable relief.
It's also been said (I forget what book it's from) that laughter is a 'purgative' that relieves an audience of bad feelings.
I think my post is just a clever way of saying "Lighten up, find the funny side" :grin01:

desertanimal said:
However, I do like it when numbers get repeated, like when your total at the grocery store is $33.33, so I thought it was pretty fun that Zeke's weight was 66 today. As my advisor would say, "Simple minds . . ."
I think I've got you out-dorked on that one... I get excited over numbers like 286, 386, 486, 341, 747, and numbers that are "round" in binary like 16384, 32768, 65536... also numbers that are the same backward and forward like 87078.

Oh, and of course, 69. (guitar riff) :grin01:

(Bonus points to anyone who gets the "341" reference. :cheers: )

Official Symbol: APOC1 and Name: apolipoprotein C-I [Homo sapiens]
Chromosome: 19; Location: 19q13.2
GeneID: 341

kimbyra said:

Hugs all.

Do you really take everything THAT seriously :rolleyes:

Roy Munson said:
I'm sure that 80+% of all humor seems wrong to someone. If you were to take offense at every serious subject that is joked about, you'd live a pretty miserable life. From my user name it should be obvious that I like the movie 'Kingpin'. Alcoholism and physical handicap are very serious subjects, but that movie's a riot. In 'Beetlejuice', Winona Ryder plays a goth-ish, depressed, product of a dysfunctional family. Teen depression and bad home lives are serious subjects. But is it funny when she changes her journal entry from "I am alone." to "I am utterly alone."? Heck yeah. For most of us there are probably subjects that hit too close to home for us to laugh about. Should the author have suspended publication of 101 Uses For a Dead Cat because a significant number of people had lost cats in the year prior?

If I try hard enough, I can be offended by many things. I usually find that it's not worth the effort. ;)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Roy Munson again" Damnit... Again! :rolleyes:

marty.warwick said:
4/ They've put the good name of Converse down. For many years they have been well known, good quality comfortable shoes. I got my first pair when I was 9. They were Multi-coloured, I got them because I love Grunge and Cobain wore them. :rolleyes:
And I got them because Oscar Robertson wore them. And Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, Wilt Chamberlain, and 90% of the NBA.

Heh, I even wore them during my wedding reception, along with my groomsmen. I still have that pair of shoes; needless to say, they've lasted far longer than the marriage. :)

regards,
jazz

No Tula, I really, really, don't.
It was the way you phrased it, and someone else agreed with me.
And once again, "oblivious".
:bang:

kimbyra said:
Compared to my film critic quote, Elle's post is tepid.

It seems you have an agenda.

regards,
jazz

Serpwidgets said:
Nope, I still think it's named after Emo. :grin01:
ROFFLEONEONEone!

I'd have paid good money to have been a fly on the wall when he lived with Judy Tenuta.

"She was, by and large, which is why she was a gym teacher." - Emo Phillips

(I know - it's better heard than read.)

"Worship me, PIIIIIIGGGGGS!" - Judy Tenuta

regards,
jazz

Serpwidgets said:
Nope, I still think it's named after Emo. :grin01:
Holy crap! that guy is the father of emo! The hair, the tight cloths, the blatent desire to kiss young boys. Hes the missing link that I wish was never found. :eek:

Regardless of labeling people for haircuts and the types of music they like or the weird number thingies, this thread has changed my life.

Cliff Yablonski is my new hero! :crazy02: Thank you Serp!

I better keep it quiet or Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick me back to the Stone age. :eek1:

Back