• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

complicate genetic combination

My 2 cents.

I've been watching this thread since it started and finally decided to respond. First of all, I admit I am not the most learned or experienced corn snake owner and I admire all of the people in this debate for their 1000's of posts and many years spent owning and breeding corn snakes as well as other creatures. Secondly, I have only had an active interest in corn snakes since a year ago (when I rescued a neglected, malnourished, and dehydrated snake and wanted to learn everything I could so she could be healthy and I could enjoy having her for many years) and currently own a paltry two corns. These are the only snakes I have owned in my 28 years. I am a beginner and will freely admit to this. In the last year of my fervent searching for information on corns, this post was the first I've seen with the word "hybino." My searches were not restricted to current posts (I've done extensive searching in the archives) nor to this site exclusively. I think I've only seen the word "hypoamel" once or twice before this topic and it was used by someone who wasn't natively familiar with the English language (admitted by the posters[sp?]). TME has said something similar in a previous post.

This being said, in my opinion, I don't care for the term "hybino." First, it doesn't seem very descriptive or exclusive in it's definition. Secondly, it sounds very similar and/or associated with "hybrid." When I first read the word "hybino" I honestly thought it referred to a cross between a corn and some other snake.

I don't expect my opinion and this post to end the long debate currently raging on between members that I respect and have learned much from in the past. In fact, I will probably be flamed a bit for something I've said. However, here are my two cents. Do what you will with them.

I don't expect my opinion and this post to end the long debate currently raging on between members that I respect and have learned much from in the past. In fact, I will probably be flamed a bit for something I've said. However, here are my two cents. Do what you will with them.

How dare you interject your two cents. Now that I think about it, your two cents have the same value as my two cents. How can that be right?

As well...you should be careful using terms like "scientifically accurate". Those words are used because of observation,
Did you skip over this part of my discussion on purpose because it didn't fit into your response, or did you just not read it?

Scientific terms are not based on popular opinion. They are based on currently recognized fact.

Why do we have 3 different kinds of incompatible anerythrism?
Because we have four different kinds of color morphs that don't have (an-) red pigment (erythrin). Anery, Charcoal, Lavender, Caramel and arguably a fifth in Ashy/Cinder/Z/whatever.

Scientific terms mean what they mean. An- is a prefix meaning absent or without. Erythrin is the term for red pigment. :shrugs: Or are you arguing that we need to change the definition of words that extend beyond cornsnakes?

D80

So why is it so important for Amelanisitc, Hypomelanistic, and Anerythristic to be "scientifically accurate", but not any of the other morph names we have?
Because, amelanistic, hypomelanistic, and anerythristic are scientific terms that have very specific definitions beyond the boundaries of cornsnakes. Lavender, Charcoal, Phantom, Snow, Sunglow, et.al. are popular opinion accepted terms for genetic combinations/representations. Some genetic terms are used commonly as well, and that's where my crux of the debate places the word hybino on a list of "unacceptable" or "inaccurate" terminology.

Hybino is a butchered melding of two scientific terms. Hypomelanistic which has a very specific definition and albino which also has a very specific definition. I've already indicated that the word hybino fits in several different cornsnake morphs. :shrugs: I'm arguing scientific language, not opinion.
That is all. :)

D80

I would like to apologize to the original poster for this feuding hi-jack of the thread...
Regardless of any feuds (both perceived and/or real) I'm hoping we are all (including the OP) learning more about the correct usage of terminology in our hobby. I'm discussing from the viewpoint of academic definition, other may not be?! . . . :shrugs: Regardless of any personal bias and/or opinion I hold towards the author of the cmg booklet, I very strongly appreciate his adamant recognition that the scientific language we do use needs to remain accurate.

:)
D80

Don't ever be afraid to post you opinion for fear of being "flamed." I'm not a fan of mindless sheep. I'd rather have a discussion as opposed to just following what others do just because they say so. :)

Because, amelanistic, hypomelanistic, and anerythristic are scientific terms that have very specific definitions beyond the boundaries of cornsnakes. Lavender, Charcoal, Phantom, Snow, Sunglow, et.al. are popular opinion accepted terms for genetic combinations/representations. Some genetic terms are used commonly as well, and that's where my crux of the debate places the word hybino on a list of "unacceptable" or "inaccurate" terminology.

Hybino is a butchered melding of two scientific terms. Hypomelanistic which has a very specific definition and albino which also has a very specific definition. I've already indicated that the word hybino fits in several different cornsnake morphs. :shrugs: I'm arguing scientific language, not opinion.
That is all. :)

D80

So am I. And what I am saying is quite simply...there is no scientific evidence past or present indicating that these terms are being properly used. Nobody knows why an amel corn looks the way it. We know that we do not see any melanin present. Why? Nobody knows. Nobody knows because there has never been any scientific studies of amelanistic cornsnakes to find out why. There are many, many reasons why an amel corn might look the way it does. There are many steps, components, and processes involved in the creation of melanin and it's appearance in these animals. Nobody knows which one is the "scientifically accurate" cause of it's absence. It is very possible that melanin IS present, and is simply being blocked by something else, which would cause the term "amelanistic" to be absolutely scientifically INaccurate. Therefor, scientifcally speaking...how can you argue the semantics of "scientific accuracy" when there is no study upon which to base our opinions and assumptions.

As for the part which I have highlighted in bold...I agree, 100%. It IS a word that can be used to describe a great number of cornsnake morphs. And every use you mentioned would be just as "scientifically accurate" as any of the others. I also agree 100% with your definition of the term "albino" being a lack of pigmentation...ANY pigmentation. My problem is with the assertion by TME that the term "albino" is NOT accurate and Hybino is NOT accurate. They ARE accurate...BOTH of them...and they are both accepted in their usage AS accurate.

Amelanistic, anerythristic, and hypomelanistic ARE scientific terms with absolute meanings. However, we have no idea if the words are being used properly when we apply them. We have assumed they are accurate, and we have agreed they are accurate but at this point in time they have never been proven to be accurate. So in reality, a "scientific debate" about the proper usage of these terms is absolutely a moot point. Quite frankly there is NO scientific usage of these terms as they apply to cornsnakes and cornsnake morphology because quite simply nobody has ever conducted a study to establish the accuracy of these terms as we have applied them.

THIS is why I find the phrase "scientifically accurate" laughable, at it's absolute best, in this discussion. If it is scientifically accurate...where is the science that proves it so?:shrugs:

With that said, Brent, you know I respect you and your opinion, and I hope you know that I hold you in high regard, whether we agree or not.:cheers:

TME:
...Exactly! So why are you arguing that we should be using Hybino (and Albino) when we use Amel, not Albino because that is the accurate term now?...

I'm NOT arguing that we should be "using Hybino". I'm arguing that Hybino is a long-time accepted and ACCURATE term that has been used for many, many years in many, many scientific and herpetological referances. It is as accurate as any other words you choose to use to describe a homo hypo and amel snake. Albino is absolutely as acceptable and accurate as amelanisitic. Period. It doesn't matter how many times you say otherwise, that is still now, and always will be, a true statement. Sorry you don't like it, but it is what it is.

...I'm not nitpicking. I asked a serious question as to why it's all of a sudden showing up on the forum in reference to Cornsnakes...Because I didn't know why I was seeing it. You got your panties in a wad with my question and went on a tirade. Why exactly aren't you hounding Brent or Susan, who agree with me? Because they weren't the first to ask a question?...
I answered your question, long ago. Hybino is a widely accepted and ACCURATE term used all over the place in herpetological endeavors. For a LONG time. You saw it because I chose to use it. I didn't get my "panties in a wad" until you started asserting that it was wrong and inaccurate, which absolutely false. I "went on a tirade" against your absolutely FALSE and MISLEADING assertion that Hybino and Albino are inaccurate terms, which they are not.

I'm not giving Brent and Susan a hard time because neither one of them have EVER stated that Albino and Hybino were inaccurate. YOU did...and you are wrong. Really quite simple, if you ask me.

...I asked a simple, easy to answer question. Where is the term Hybino all of a sudden coming from in reference to Cornsnakes? I also never said any of the bolded at all. What is certain individuals obsession with speaking for other people or making up statements? I really love how you completely ignore valid points from posters. ...

Really? This is almost the funniest thing you have posted. You DID state, SEVERAL times that albino is not accurate. You DID state, several times, that Hybino is not accurate. And you did state, on at least one occasion, that your problem was with the use of the term "hybino" "on this forum" which, to me, implies that this forum somehow has the final say on acceptability of terminology. I disagree...100%.

As for the part I highlighted...Funny how you mention that. I have addressed every "valid point" you have made. Unfortunately, I don't see many in your posts...makes it difficult to address them.:poke:

On the other side of this coin...you still haven't answered anything about my statements regarding how long "hybino" has been in use, nor about the scientific definitions of "albino", nor about how the terms albino and hybino are both perfectly accurate words that can be used to describe these traits.

The bottom line in my opinion is quite simply..."scientifically accurate" has no place in this conversation because nothing has ever been proven as "scientifically accurate". Not our use of the words, and not the causes of these color deformities in our beloved animals. Telling people that "albino" is not accurate is simply bad information. Albino IS accurate. Period. Telling people that "hybino" is being used "all of a sudden" is ridiculous because it is a term that has been WIDELY used across species boundaries for many, many years. Period. I chose to use it in this thread because I wanted to. I don't like the phrase "hypoamel" and I don't use it. I use "hybino" because it fits, it is easy to spell and say, and it is a widely accepted term to describe precisely what I was trying to describe. I'm sorry you have a problem with that. Actually...no I'm not. I find it amusing and entertaining that my use of the word "hybino" and "albino" bothers you so much. I think I shall continue to use them both here as I do in every other snake-related conversation I have both on and off the net...

3CardKnight--
Don't ever be afraid to state your opinion. Your opinion is just as valid and based just as much on fact as any other opinion in this topic, mine, Susan's, Brent's and Triple Moons Exotic all included. No need to apologize to us for your opinion, and certainly no need for anyone to flame you for POSTING your opinion. Everyone's input is welcome here. That's the beauty of an open forum...

...Because we have four different kinds of color morphs that don't have (an-) red pigment (erythrin). Anery, Charcoal, Lavender, Caramel and arguably a fifth in Ashy/Cinder/Z/whatever....

D80

We have four different "morphs" that lack a great deal of red pigmentation(most of the adult cinders I have seen DO have red in them, disproving the "aneryhtristic" terminology). We do NOT know that we have four different morphs lacking erythrin. We do NOT know why they don't show red pigmentation. We do NOT know that they are "anerythristic". That is simply the best guess that we can make as to why they look the way they do, but it has never been proven to be "scientifically accurate". The same is true of the other "scientifically accurate" morph names. They are merely "best guesses" which, quite frankly, makes anyone else's "best guess" just as valid and accurate...scientifically speaking...

The reality is I don't disagree with you, Brent. I simply don't like seeing people put absolutes on un-proven assumptions. "Scientifically accurate" implies a study with conclusive results. This has never been done. Therefor it is not "scientifically accurate". It is merely the best guess that anyone can come up. But it is not an "abolute" and it is not a "scientific fact". At least not any more so than albino and/or hybino are...

Regardless of any feuds (both perceived and/or real) I'm hoping we are all (including the OP) learning more about the correct usage of terminology in our hobby. I'm discussing from the viewpoint of academic definition, other may not be?! . . . :shrugs: Regardless of any personal bias and/or opinion I hold towards the author of the cmg booklet, I very strongly appreciate his adamant recognition that the scientific language we do use needs to remain accurate.

:)
D80

I agree that there is something to be learned here. I hope that everyone who comes by this thread reads it from start to finish.

The reality is I don't disagree with you, Brent. I simply don't like seeing people put absolutes on un-proven assumptions. "Scientifically accurate" implies a study with conclusive results. This has never been done. Therefor it is not "scientifically accurate". It is merely the best guess that anyone can come up. But it is not an "abolute" and it is not a "scientific fact". At least not any more so than albino and/or hybino are...
Ahhhh! I think that's where you're use of the terminology is in error. Amelanistic does NOT describe how or why the melanin is missing . . . it's a descriptive term that it IS missing. Same with anerythristic. It's not a term which describes why red pigment is missing, but that it IS missing. So on and so forth. (Just like Albino doesn't indicate why the pigment is missing, just that it IS!)

And I did indicate that Ashy/Cinder/Z/whatever is borderline Anery . . . due to the amount of red (or is it brown - which is a function of melanin?) that is showing up in adult snakes. ;)

D80

PS. No offenses taken on any account or regard. I respect the debate and the discussion and value your opinion and facts as well as (m)any others.

Just in case some people have misunderstood some of my statements...I have nothing against the author of the CMG, He has always put alot of effort into his book and the yearly updated editions, he has tried to make it as accurate as possible and tried to include all the currently known information on all of the lovely corn morphs and I thoroughly enjoy the book and plan on continuing to purchase each new edition. The only thing I find lacking is that sometimes there is an omission or two that appears to be on purpose. Major example...the omission of the name "ashy" as an alias for cinder/anery C/morph Z/whatever. I do, however, acknowledge the author's right to that omission under the First Amendment.

And now to add some more fuel for thought for this thread's current topic...

We have yet to produce a corn snake that is completely without pigment, that is, anerythristic, amelanistic and axanthic. Furthermore, I feel that there is even another pigment type to consider...whatever it is that creates all the wonderful pinks/peaches to some specimens of many morphs yet not to others. For example...pastel ghosts and pastel anerys versus the ones that stay mostly black and gray, the highly colorful lavenders versus the gray ones, the bubblegum and neon pink snows versus the "regular" snows. You can't blame that coloration on the same thing that makes an amel it's color. Something else is going on, we just haven't completely isolated it yet.

I personally consider morph names just that...names to identify a particular morph. It doesn't have to be "technically accurate" to be correct in it's use as a NAME. A famous writer once wrote in some silly story...

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

"Hybino" can be used for a snake that is both hypo and amel. Yes, it can also be used for many other gene combos. Is it completely wrong? No, but it's not completely correct either. Is it one that has common usage in CORN SNAKES? Not that I have seen, but it appears to be gaining use. Is it one I personally care for? Not really. It reminds me too much of the other snake species where it's usage IS more common. But I also don't care for several other morph names, such as "plasma". It's also getting harder for me to remember exactly what the genes are in some of the newer and more "complex" morphs. My one remaining brain cell would much prefer to just use snow blood (through long term use, that cell knows that a snow is anery + amel) rather than try to remember that it is also called an avalanche, which is NOT a blizzard blood (again, long term use) whose alias is a whiteout. In time, I know my brain cell will recognize the genetic make-up associated with the newer names, and will then be confused by the names for the yet unknown gene combos. "Hybino" was one that triggered a "Hey! I've heard of you, but you're not in your usual neighborhood!" response in my mind. I was just wondering when it had moved into the neighborhood and how come I missed the house-warming party! Seems like I'm never invited to parties anymore. Must be hubby's fault.

Ahhhh! I think that's where you're use of the terminology is in error. Amelanistic does NOT describe how or why the melanin is missing . . . it's a descriptive term that it IS missing. Same with anerythristic. It's not a term which describes why red pigment is missing, but that it IS missing. So on and so forth. (Just like Albino doesn't indicate why the pigment is missing, just that it IS!)

And I did indicate that Ashy/Cinder/Z/whatever is borderline Anery . . . due to the amount of red (or is it brown - which is a function of melanin?) that is showing up in adult snakes. ;)

D80

PS. No offenses taken on any account or regard. I respect the debate and the discussion and value your opinion and facts as well as (m)any others.

But here again is part of the problem. We do not know that melanin is truly absent or non-existent. As such, we do not know that the snake is truly "amelanistic". The only fact that we have is our ability to visually observe a lack of melanin. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is not there...it just isn't showing.

What I mean is, with amelanism as the example, the gene we know as "amel" could just as easily be a melanin mask as it could be a lack of melanin content. It could just as easily be a lack of a melanin receptor, instead of a lack of melanin production. In other words...the melanin is still there, we just can't see it. If the melanin is present, the snake is not technically amelanistic, even though we cannot observe the pigmentation. This is why I have a problem with calling amelanistic more "scientifically accurate" because we simply do not know, for a scientifically proven fact, that this is the case. Certainly it is the most likely scenario...but it is not a proven fact.

Until someone successfully maps the cornsnake genome and successfully isolates each component required for the visualization of melanin, we WON'T know. We don't know if it is because of a reduction of one component or an absence of the pigmentation, or if it is simply a matter of "masking". We don't know.

But in reality...amel is much "nicer" than albino, as it does at least give a better "perception" of the trait. As has been said...albino is a disruption of pigment production. Amel is a lack of melanin. And even if melanin IS present(making it not truly amel at all)...it still appears to be truly amelanistic.

Again...semantics, really. But it always is...

But here again is part of the problem. We do not know that melanin is truly absent or non-existent. As such, we do not know that the snake is truly "amelanistic". The only fact that we have is our ability to visually observe a lack of melanin. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is not there...it just isn't showing.
Now who's splitting hairs!! :grin01: If a tree falls in the woods . . .

You know, as well as I, that there is no such thing as true scientific fact. There is only currently proven truth based on evidence . . . open to being disproved (actually inviting someone to disprove it). Until such time as something is disproved, it is "fact" or theory.

You know, as well as I, that Amelanism, based on current scientific knowledge, very specifically means the lack of melanin pigment which currently manifests itself phenotypically as an orange cornsnake with no black . . . whether the melanin is hidden in a back pocket or stuck on a shelf or hiding in a trap door under each individual scale, or is stored in a glass vial under the vent . . .

D80

Now who's splitting hairs!! :grin01: If a tree falls in the woods . . .

You know, as well as I, that there is no such thing as true scientific fact. There is only currently proven truth based on evidence . . . open to being disproved (actually inviting someone to disprove it). Until such time as something is disproved, it is "fact" or theory.

You know, as well as I, that Amelanism, based on current scientific knowledge, very specifically means the lack of melanin pigment which currently manifests itself phenotypically as an orange cornsnake with no black . . . whether the melanin is hidden in a back pocket or stuck on a shelf or hiding in a trap door under each individual scale, or is stored in a glass vial under the vent . . .

D80

Absolutely! Debates about definition, especially scientific definition is always about splitting hairs...or atoms ;). That's what makes it interesting, no? :cheers:

I actually didn't intend to get involved in this thing as a debate. I only got involved in the definitions because they were vital to the "other" debate about the appropriateness of albino and hybino as terminology...

I'm NOT arguing that we should be "using Hybino". I'm arguing that Hybino is a long-time accepted and ACCURATE term that has been used for many, many years in many, many scientific and herpetological referances. It is as accurate as any other words you choose to use to describe a homo hypo and amel snake. Albino is absolutely as acceptable and accurate as amelanisitic. Period. It doesn't matter how many times you say otherwise, that is still now, and always will be, a true statement. Sorry you don't like it, but it is what it is.

Not for Cornsnakes. That was my point. We are talking Cornsnakes, not every other species of reptile out there. So again, based on your "this is an ACCURATE term" statement, what about Sunglows in Boas? Are they then wrong because you say that Hybino is the "long-time accepted and ACCURATE term"? How about ball pythons? Hypo + Albino's are called Albino Ghost, Albino Hypo or Sunglows. They wrong too?

I answered your question, long ago. Hybino is a widely accepted and ACCURATE term used all over the place in herpetological endeavors. For a LONG time. You saw it because I chose to use it. I didn't get my "panties in a wad" until you started asserting that it was wrong and inaccurate, which absolutely false. I "went on a tirade" against your absolutely FALSE and MISLEADING assertion that Hybino and Albino are inaccurate terms, which they are not.

You answered my question with a snotty "roll over your eyes" as if my serious question was stupid when it was so far from it. Again, we are talking about Cornsnakes. You also weren't completely honest about what context "Hybino" was listed in the CMG. You also seem to switch between definitions of "Albino." Pick one and stick with it! It either means "an animal or plant with a marked deficiency in pigmentation" or "an animal or plant with a marked deficiency in melanin" to you.

I'm not giving Brent and Susan a hard time because neither one of them have EVER stated that Albino and Hybino were inaccurate. YOU did...and you are wrong. Really quite simple, if you ask me.

No, you skimmed over what I was saying. I explained why the context it was used was inaccurate (Albino = Amel by definition per you). As Susan and Brent described, Albino and Hybino apply to many morphs technically.

And you did state, on at least one occasion, that your problem was with the use of the term "hybino" "on this forum" which, to me, implies that this forum somehow has the final say on acceptability of terminology.

No, I didn't. Your assumption is inaccurate. That you're fault, not mine.

As for the part I highlighted...Funny how you mention that. I have addressed every "valid point" you have made.

Actually, if you would have read what I said...I said "posters" and was referring to the very valid points made by both Brent and Susan.

On the other side of this coin...you still haven't answered anything about my statements regarding how long "hybino" has been in use, nor about the scientific definitions of "albino", nor about how the terms albino and hybino are both perfectly accurate words that can be used to describe these traits.

Hybino has just this past year been in use on a noticeable scale in reference to Cornsnakes. I believe I mentioned that already? I also already explained why I disagree with you on the use of Albino & Hybino in reference to Cornsnakes (you know, how they both can be used for many morphs - thus effectively confusing the heck out of people).

I find it amusing and entertaining that my use of the word "hybino" and "albino" bothers you so much. I think I shall continue to use them both here as I do in every other snake-related conversation I have both on and off the net...

What exactly makes you think that I'm bothered by your use of terms? The thought that your opinion bothers me, let alone means something to me, is amusing. I don't agree with your opinion, but I do enjoy a discussion about it.

Not for Cornsnakes. That was my point. We are talking Cornsnakes, not every other species of reptile out there. So again, based on your "this is an ACCURATE term" statement, what about Sunglows in Boas? Are they then wrong because you say that Hybino is the "long-time accepted and ACCURATE term"? How about ball pythons? Hypo + Albino's are called Albino Ghost, Albino Hypo or Sunglows. They wrong too?
I never said anyone was wrong. The only time I mentioned anyone being wrong was you being wrong in saying that albino was inaccurate and you being wrong in saying hybino was "all of a sudden". You seem to have a real problem with the word hybino. Tough. It's an accurate word. Doesn't matter how or where I apply the terminology, as long as I am using it to describe an animal that is both hypo and albino, it is an accurate term. I do NOT have to change my terminology to suit your fancy. Corns, boas, pythons, milks, mammals, or fish. If an animal is both albino and hypo, the term hybino fits...accurately. And just because "hybino" IS accurate, does NOT mean that everything else is NOT accurate. See...there can actually be a lot of different words and phrases that describe the exact same thing. Pretty neat, ain't it?

You answered my question with a snotty "roll over your eyes" as if my serious question was stupid when it was so far from it. Again, we are talking about Cornsnakes. You also weren't completely honest about what context "Hybino" was listed in the CMG. You also seem to switch between definitions of "Albino." Pick one and stick with it! It either means "an animal or plant with a marked deficiency in pigmentation" or "an animal or plant with a marked deficiency in melanin" to you.
I answered your question with a roll of the eyes because this is what you said:
Out of curiosity...Where is this coming from all of a sudden? I've seen this in quite a few posts. What happened to the term "Hypoamel"? It is a combination of Hypo & Amel, not Hypo & Albino.
Amel and Albino are the same thing, so I rolled my eyes at your implication that they were not. And since there are several accurate and acceptable definitions OF the word albino, why do I need to pick one and stick with it? It is perfectly acceptable, in the English language, to use every defintition of each word as necessary. I don't HAVE to pick one definition and stick with it. I don't WANT to pick one definition and stick with it. BOTH definitions are accurate, and I choose to acknowledge BOTH of them, not just the ones that make me sound right... The word "Pot" has many, many definitions. I choose to believe all of them, not just a couple. LOTS of words have many definitions...better get used to it.

No, you skimmed over what I was saying. I explained why the context it was used was inaccurate (Albino = Amel by definition per you). As Susan and Brent described, Albino and Hybino apply to many morphs technically.
Albino is not innaccurate. Period. Nothing more needs to be said about it. Albino and Hybino apply to many morphs, absolutely correct...INCLUDING "hypoamel". Don't like it? Tough. Get over it.

Actually, if you would have read what I said...I said "posters" and was referring to the very valid points made by both Brent and Susan.
Open your eyes, kiddo. Brent and I have been having an intelligent and respectful discussion about HIS valid points for several posts. And guess what? We reached and understanding. Why? Because we are both willing to accept that the other is right when it's appropriate. You can't seem to do that. You never have been able to do that. And in this case...you were wrong. Very simple really. Don't try to take credit for Brent's valid points. I addressed them...just not to you.

Hybino has just this past year been in use on a noticeable scale in reference to Cornsnakes. I believe I mentioned that already? I also already explained why I disagree with you on the use of Albino & Hybino in reference to Cornsnakes (you know, how they both can be used for many morphs - thus effectively confusing the heck out of people).
Not liking a term doesn't make it inaccurate. My problem in this topic was not with your dislike of the phrase, it is with your assertion that it is inaccurate and "new". It is neither. I don't care if you like it. I don't care if it confuses you. It is still accurate. Don't care if you disagree with me or my usage...it is still accurate.

And for the record, I doubt anyone else was confused by the term. Everyone is very familiar with "albino" and accepts it as an amel animal, as it has come to be used and accepted a majority of the time. I'm sorry you can't keep up.

What exactly makes you think that I'm bothered by your use of terms? The thought that your opinion bothers me, let alone means something to me, is amusing. I don't agree with your opinion, but I do enjoy a discussion about it.
Quite obviously it bothers you. You can't let it go. You have done everything you can to try and make my use of the terminology innaccurate, and you can't do it, because it is NOT inaccurate. That gets under your skin. It always has. With me, with Wade, and with anyone else that doesn't automatically accept your BS. I find it quite entertaining that you will nitpick, flipflop, and try to turn everything around whenever you find yourself in a sticky situation...like claiming something to be wrong that isn't wrong. It's funny when you squirm...

Thanks to the experts

Wow. I've only read the first couple of pages so far, but want to thank the posters very much. I'm familiar with the principles of Mendelian genetics, heterozygous, homozygous, dominant, recessive, etc. But it is amazing to see it discussed here in a practical sense with snakes. Especially the subject of codominant genes and masking genes. I definitely want to read more.
I guess I need to get down to the business of giving my baby corns some "given" names, i.e., personal names (which means me being fairly comfortable with the sex of a given individual)...because calling a morph by it's genetic fingerprint seems easier to me than Avalanche, Aztec, Fire, Coral, Opal, Granite, etc. Or maybe it's just my way of learning new things.

Anyway, the worst question is the question never asked, (and I want the answer from these thread contributors/experts, rather than my starting a new thread), so my question is this : Where can I go to find the genes (long version is fine) in a comprehensive list type form, naming homo- and heterozygous, dominant, recessive, codominant, masking genes, and masked genes...??? Thanks ahead of time.

Wow. I've only read the first couple of pages so far, but want to thank the posters very much. I'm familiar with the principles of Mendelian genetics, heterozygous, homozygous, dominant, recessive, etc. But it is amazing to see it discussed here in a practical sense with snakes. Especially the subject of codominant genes and masking genes. I definitely want to read more.
I guess I need to get down to the business of giving my baby corns some "given" names, i.e., personal names (which means me being fairly comfortable with the sex of a given individual)...because calling a morph by it's genetic fingerprint seems easier to me than Avalanche, Aztec, Fire, Coral, Opal, Granite, etc. Or maybe it's just my way of learning new things.

Anyway, the worst question is the question never asked, (and I want the answer from these thread contributors/experts, rather than my starting a new thread), so my question is this : Where can I go to find the genes (long version is fine) in a comprehensive list type form, naming homo- and heterozygous, dominant, recessive, codominant, masking genes, and masked genes...??? Thanks ahead of time.

The book form is the Cornsnake Morph Guide. Although there does seem to be a sort of issue on this thread about how accurate it is... I've found it very helpful. I'm not sure if there's an exact "list", per se, online. You'd have to ask someone else for that...

Thanks

The book form is the Cornsnake Morph Guide. Although there does seem to be a sort of issue on this thread about how accurate it is... I've found it very helpful. I'm not sure if there's an exact "list", per se, online. You'd have to ask someone else for that...
Thanks. I appreciate the reply.

Back