• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Emergency king snake help needed!!

Glad to hear the vet concurred with my guesses!

If she keeps tying herself in knots to the point that she can't easily extract herself, then I would suspect some sort of neurological problem. It could be something that gets better, or worse, with time. If it was caused by some environmental factor, such as a toxin, it might get better. If it is congenital, it could get better or worse - who knows? Hopefully she will grow out of it and it will be of no concern as time goes on.

Glad to see you have a vet who is willing to give you enough info over the phone for you to make an informed decision about what to do next.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but I am just wondering. With my limited experience, I haven't seen or heard of a snake, continuously tying itself in a knot. That's just odd. I'm wondering if Kathy is right and this thing could be some kind of neurological disorder?

As I was reading this with Christine, she thought of something, too. I know that sometimes when a snake is distressed or in pain from an internal problem, they will sometimes bite themselves in that area. Maybe you can weigh in on this Kathy, but do you think this could be the snakes way of dealing with such a circumstance?

I believe you mentioned this is a fairly new addition. Have you contacted the breeder in regard to this?

Wayne

The breeder is a member here and a good guy who I am sure wouldn't have sold her knowing there were any issues. She came in yesterday morning pretty cold even with a heatpack and proper packaging so I assumed the knots were because she was cold and trying to conserve heat? I am hoping this is her weird response to stress because she slithers normal, holds her head normally, doesn't fall, or slither backwards, and overall looks perfectly normal and healthy...she's cruising the cage now trying to escape. If it happens again I'll take her in, but it seems the vet agrees waiting is a good idea since she's so new.

I hope it is all forgotten by tomorrow Danielle, good luck. Sounds promising this morning.

Danielle, have you tried to blow into his cloaca?

LMAO :roflmao: Wade you sure know how to put laughter into a situation. That was too funny.

Danielle sorry your snake is having this issue. Hopefully things will be just fine. If the snake is cruising a whole lot, maybe go ahead an offer a small snack. Kings are notorious for being hungry. So maybe a little some thing will help it relax a bit. I know the general rule is to let them acclimate for a week but I don't see some thing small doing any harm.

I know the snake had a huge meal last Saturday and I want her active to move any moisture that may be in the lung out. I'm going to feed Sunday I think but she is all over the place right now...I thought florida kings were active at night and easterns during the day- am I wrong?

I thought florida kings were active at night and easterns during the day- am I wrong?

I'm not real sure about that. I have cali kings and they are active any time they are hungry. So they are active all the time. LOL

I don't think it is really possible to guess what might be wrong, if anything, at this point. You will just have to wait and see. I think EXTREME, but not fatal, cold could do some neurological damage, but probably not as much, or as quickly, as extreme heat. Just can't really say - wait and watch.

Bill has hunted a lot of kings over the years. He said he considers them (in the wild) to have leanings towards diurnal activity, but that they seem to be happy to take advantage of the best temps. They tend towards nocturnal in the heat of the summer, and diurnal during cooler days / seasons. He has not noticed any difference between Florida and eastern kings.

Thanks so much Kathy heres a picture of my trouble child,lol
DSC_0080.jpg

Danielle, glad to hear she is active this morning and that the vet feels it is ok to wait and see how she does, sounds positive. She is a very cute little thing. Again wishing all the best for you and her! I will keep following to see how she does.

Thanks all she acts like nothing even happened so hopefully this will not be something I ever experience again!!

What a pretty little knotty girl! ;)

Does she have a name yet? How about Knotia or something along those line?

Wayne

Okay so now I'm really freaked this is how I just found her...
DSC_0082.jpg

after etting her again before she turned blue this time...
DSC_0083.jpg

What am I going to do she tries to drown herself in even the smallest water bowl? Vet appointment I guess first thing tomorrow:(

I'd remove her water dish altogether for the night, then maybe put in a condiment cup that she can't fit into.

p.s. Are you sure there are no mites on her that might be forcing her into the water?

Back