• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hedgehogs Anyone?

mines been on corn cob...arguably not the greatest but she's done fine on it for years.

The one caution I have read with corn cob is that (for males) the tiny pieces can get caught in the "penis sheath" and cause irritation and problems with urinating. I have a female, but I still avoid it for that reason. I do keep gerbils on the stuff and LOVE it with them!!

They're making wheels a lot bigger now because there has been a lot of controversy over whether they're good for any animal's backs. One of the chains by me sells a humongous one that looks like you could fit a cocker spaniel on it. lol

I have read that as well. My chinchillas wheel is 15" across and the hedgies is 12".

I brought home our new little guy yesterday. I'll try and get some pics to share tonight after he wakes up.

We named him Zathras, and he's absolutely adorable. He slept on my lap the whole drive home yesterday. I'm totally smitten. :D

I was looking at a magazine the other day with hedgehogs in it and those hedgies had dry ears too. Apparently this may be a species thing?? In any event, I've been using the cocoa butter and it seems to be working!

I can't WAIT to see photos! Did I post one of my girl yet?

Not sure if I did, so here she is...
picture.php

Her name is Annabelle!

I've always wanted a Hedgehog but they're illegal to own in Pennsylvania. One of those random animals that our state bans. :(
I've wanted one too!!!! But they're illegal here in AZ... WHAT A CROCK! They can sell hedgie food, hedgie books, etc... but NOT the hedgehog!!! Incredibly stupid laws...

I have been wanting one for over 2 yearss and a petshop near by has em. My mom wants one too

I have been wanting one for over 2 yearss and a petshop near by has em. My mom wants one too

Awesome, David. They can be good, interesting pets, but it seems the key is to get them young and handle them a lot. Mine is fine to handle at night but gets a bit "hissy" during the day time-- she likes to sleep!

Here we go...

picture.php

I was trying to entice him out of his igloo with treats so I could pick him up. :)

picture.php

And a little hiney action
picture.php

He's really young, was just old enough to leave his mama a few days before I selected him. He's very out-going though, not as shy as the others I played with when we were at the breeder's house. I figured that was a good trait to have in a house with four kids.

I've also already got him going potty in the litter box. I'd heard that litter training could be hit or miss, but once he staked out the corner he wanted to use, he never changed his mind, even after I put in the box. I'm crossing my fingers that he sticks with it. :D

Cute! Mine was 2 or 3 months when I got her. Is yours actually a combination of black AND white, like a piebald? Or does he just have stuff in his quills?? They do self anoint, or rub spit on their quills, as a camoflaguing strategy, and it really gets a lot of gunk in the quills. I give mine a bath in tepid water (no soap) using a soft toothbrush to gently stroke the quills and get most of the crud out. I do this maybe two or three times a year.

Where can you get one. The pet shops ones were kinda Blah. Can you ship them? How much are they usually?

He's a piebald, the skin under his quills in those spots is brown, and up by his forehead his quills are apricot. He's got a patch of green on his butt, but that's dye the breeder put on him so she could identify his parents. lol

His name is Zathras. The breeder said their tradition is to name them with the letter of their parents name, and his father was Zane. My husband suggested Zathras which is a character from a TV show called Babylon 5. We used to be big fans, and actually met in a B5 chat room, since it was our anniversary, it seemed fitting. :D

Where can you get one. The pet shops ones were kinda Blah. Can you ship them? How much are they usually?

They won't ship hedgies, it stresses them out way too much. We ended up driving 4 hours to pick him up from a breeder. There were closer breeders but most are in a winter breeding slump so they have long waiting lists right now.

During the summer you'll probably have more to choose from.

Haha - I suggested the idea to my step-mom and this was her responce? "What! One snake isnt enough?!"

I thought of how many people couldnt survive with only one snake...

I really would like to have hedgies, but I think chinchillas would be cooler, (so soft!) I'm just getting shot down by all my parents about having other pets. So I'll be patient and try again in a month or so :p

I have a chinchilla as well and gotta say... one of my coolest pets EVER. She is soft and furry and SO funny when you let her loose in a room... you never know what she's gonna do!

But, they do chew a lot and are rather expensive (not that hedgies aren't). If you are not into late nights, a chin might be a better buy.

StormRose-- that is so cool that he is piebald. How neat! I think it's neat how his hair has not quite grown all the way in yet, either. Mine was already fully furred and quilled when I met her.

Also, if anyone in the MD/PA/NOVA area is interested in hedgies, a lady who works at my reptile store in Essex, MD, breeds them. That is where I got Annabelle. They have a few there right now. She seems to have litters once or twice per year.

Also, if anyone in the MD/PA/NOVA area is interested in hedgies, a lady who works at my reptile store in Essex, MD, breeds them. That is where I got Annabelle. They have a few there right now. She seems to have litters once or twice per year.

I may be wrong but I think they may be illegal to keep, import and export in PA.

I may eventually ask you for that name, if your friend is still breeding in 3 or more years.. (When I finally graduate college and have a job and a house!!). I live in MA but my parent's live in PA so it wouldn't be a big deal to pick one up...

LOl- my boyfriend would kill me if he found out I was researching hedgies now...

I may be wrong but I think they may be illegal to keep, import and export in PA.

Come to think of it, I believe you are right... I think someone mentioned it in this thread actually. My bad!

What a strange animal to list as illegal... I wonder what the concern was??

Back