• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hedgehogs Anyone?

Such cute little spikey babies! I am utterly and maddeningly jealous. I've always wanted a Hedgehog, but of course Arizona has to be one of the few states that has not legalized them. I've even applied for the necessary permit (like 2 years ago) and despite numerous hounding phone calls, all I get is a "its pending approval" response.

Looks like I'll have to live vicariously through you guys. :(

Looks like I'll have to live vicariously through you guys. :(

I can keep posting lots of pics and videos to help you out if you like. :D

I'm totally in love with the little pin cushion. I just wish he was awake more so I can play with him. I bought a snuggie little pouch I can wear (like a baby carrier) during the day and let him sleep in there so we can bond more. My husband teases me endlessly about it though. I used to be the crazy snake lady, now he's calling me the crazy hedgehog lady. lol

I can keep posting lots of pics and videos to help you out if you like.

Yes yes! I like I like! :D

I'm totally in love with the little pin cushion. I just wish he was awake more so I can play with him. I bought a snuggie little pouch I can wear (like a baby carrier) during the day and let him sleep in there so we can bond more. My husband teases me endlessly about it though. I used to be the crazy snake lady, now he's calling me the crazy hedgehog lady. lol

I can see why! That has to be one of the most adorable little faces I've ever seen. If given the opportunity, I would probably become the crazy Hedgehog lady too. My family used to make fun of me because I did the same thing with my old Sugar Gliders. They can say what they will, but bonding is very important!

Have you come up with a name for him? Did I miss that post?

I posted a page or two back I think. We named him Zathras after a Babylon 5 character, in keeping with the breeder tradition of using the first letter of his father's name.

My husband and I met in a Babylon 5 chat room 12 years ago, and the day we got the hedgie was our 8th wedding anniversary, so it all seemed kind of fitting.

He did that self-anointing thing last night, and can I just say eeew? Now he needs a bath.

He also really likes my cat, and surprisingly, my cat likes him too.

He did that self-anointing thing last night, and can I just say eeew? Now he needs a bath.

He also really likes my cat, and surprisingly, my cat likes him too.

Were you holding him? The first time mine did it I was holding her. She kept licking my hand and then running her quills through her foamy mouth. Yech!! The worst part is if you keep them on Carefresh-- the paper degrades over time and works into the quills with the saliva and makes a sort of paste that is really nasty. That's why my gal is on Aspen now. ;)

Yea, I was holding him. The cat triggered it though, he came and laid down next to us and Zathrus really liked the way he smelled. That's when he started foaming up and spreading it in his quills.

I'm keeping him on fleece cage liners now that he's box trained. The litter in his box is Equine Fresh, so hopefully I won't have to worry about the paste thing. lol

Does your hedgie have trouble with dry skin on its body? He itches a lot, but I don't see anything on his skin that would make me think there's anything really wrong with him. I was thinking of giving him an oatmeal bath to see if it helped.

He took to it really fast, I was pretty amazed. He still has accidents, but only if he's out of his cage when he needs to go. I find that if I let him eat, drink and make a trip to his box after he wakes up but before I take him out, he doesn't have any problems.

I also litter trained my daughter's pet rabbit years ago, so I had a few tricks up my sleeve to help him out. :D

Back