• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help! I think my snake might be dieing :-\

TheProphecy

Kicksclusive.com
Well Just need some help, my snake hasn't eaten in about 3 weeks he usually eats once a week but for the last few weeks he doesnt want to eat. He would go up to the mouse like he was gonna eat it but then just move away... I think it was because i had him in my room and its kinda cold in here. Well anyway hes loseing weight i went to buy another mouse today because the last one i had died, if he doesnt eat tomrrow how long do you think i might have before his life terminates.. :(

First off, don't panic.

What are the conditions of the tank? Heat (UTH, or bulb), hides, always have fresh water, etc)...

You said it's cold in your house, so if the temps aren't right, he's not going to want to eat. Is he showing any other signs of illness?

On a related note, my snake is in the feeding box right now, waiting for his mouse to thaw, and he just took a HUUUUUUUUGE dump. Lovely. :eek1:

im not sure of the temp my little strip thing says 0 and that cant be right as far as hiding he digs under the bedding water clean and freash... He was in my room witch is kinda cold i moved him into a warmer room i usually dont use anything to keep his tank warm he was fine before... Hes not as active a he used to be i take him out of the tank and he crawls around like normal he just seems weaker then he was ... as of now hes moving around like normal... i just dont want him (Biskayne) to die.

Note: this is my 1st snake

Yes, please do post some pics.

Heat is VERY important. How long have you had him, and where abouts do you live? In the summer time, corns can often go without heat and room temps are often sufficiant, a hot side of 80-85 degrees is VERY important for proper digestion, and the cool side of the tank should be around 70-75, but it shouldn't drop below 68. That would be your "danger zone".

Have you had to deal with any upchucks in the past?

By the way, you should do a search on ways to get him to eat. There are some tricks like leaving the snake and mouse alone (covered with a towel) in a secure deli cup for 30 or so minutes, but if he's always been a good eater, I'm guessing it's due to husbandry or (hopefully not) something health related.

I have had him for about 3 or 4 months i got him back in august everything been fine up untill now... I live in NYC.... He threw up once back in august but i think thaty was becuase i fed him two mice in a 3 day period

If he's not warm enough he will not feed because he can not digest. He needs the heat to digest. Get a thermometer and check your temps. You need him about 80F on one end of his enclosure, about 73-75 on the cool end.

Stop panicing. If he was eating well and healthy before then 3 weeks is no more than a small break for him. Most corns go off feed for the winter and then into brumation. Going without food for 3 to 4 months is not unusual at all~ but it would be best that you either lower his temp to a good brumation temp and stop offering feed, (If your not breeding, don't bother with brumating) or you raise his temps and keep offering feed.

Either way you need a thermometer to check his temps.

I don't mean to sound rude, but how educated are you on caring for corns? 2 feeds in 3 days is not too good, unless he's REALLY small and all you fed were maybe pinky heads... How big is he now? How old is he?

Do you have a heat lamp? UTH? It's cold in NYC right now.

Please post pics of your setup. :)

yeah that was a while ago i knew never to do that again lol, i dont know really how old he is i got it from from my ex girlfriend she got it from this breeder who came into the petland she used to work at and was giving the snake to one of her co-workers, he was about 2 feet when i got him hes about 3 to 3 and a half feet now i think his like 2 years or 3 years old

Last edited:
That snake is plenty big to go a long time without feed. He is probably off feed for winter temps. Get a therm, check his temps. Get a undertank heater or a heat lamp and raise his temps, he'll begin feeding again in a month or so.

Buy "The Corn Snake Manual"~ $10 that is invaluable to your snake.

Good Luck

Beautiful!! Adult snakes can go months without food, so don't go into panic mode yet. I'm sure he's not dying.

Get your tank set up right, make sure the temps and everything else is good, and if he's still not eating, then we'll see how we can help more.

But he does seem to be a healthy active snake? Just not eating? No visible ticks or anything like that? Poops are normal? Etc?

Yes, but it doesn't mean it's healthy. Not at all. Just don't worry. Take JM's advice and either lower the temps and allow him to go into brumation until spring, or raise them and offer more food in a few days to a week.

Guess what !!! My snake Just Shead for the second time! since i had him last time he was about to shead he didnt want to eat eather could this be another reason??? :sidestep: im gonna take pics!

along with the skin comming off he took the nastyest dump I've ever seen (maybe he was constipated?)
images%20130.jpg

images%20131.jpg

Doesn't the poor creature have a hide? Or did you remove it for the picture? Nothing to climb on or to bath in? Girl i would buy a book on corn snakes if i were you. Sorry but you don't seem to know much about taking care for a corn. That does not seem like a happy snake. Tiny cage and all.

Back