• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

how big should a snake be around this time?

Roy Munson said:
And then again, there are many, many breeders out there who spell correctly, and have no problems constructing coherent sentences. Guess who I'm buying from? If you are unable to understand sentence structure, or lack the common sense to proofread/spellcheck your marketing materials and ads, I probably don't want to rely on your grasp of genetics either.

I tend to agree with your reasoning. But at the same time, I've seen for myself that some of the most polished dog breeders can have some of the worst dogs, so it can also make me suspicious when I meet someone with a very slick marketing campaign. If the dogs or the snakes are so great, they should pretty much sell themselves. The ability to communicate effectively is what is important. Effective communication can take place even with typos.

It sounds like anybody can use spellcheck, so not having typos doesn't really prove a whole lot, other than the fact that the person has the extra time to use spellcheck and to fix the errors... And that the person is sensitive to others' opinions about him/her. Some people are too busy and/or don't care. Personally, busy people who think for themselves impress me more than people-pleasers who constantly seek approval and are afraid to do anything new or different (even if the busy people make more typos.)

larryg said:
I tend to agree with your reasoning. But at the same time, I've seen for myself that some of the most polished dog breeders can have some of the worst dogs, so it can also make me suspicious when I meet someone with a very slick marketing campaign. If the dogs or the snakes are so great, they should pretty much sell themselves. The ability to communicate effectively is what is important. Effective communication can take place even with typos.

It sounds like anybody can use spellcheck, so not having typos doesn't really prove a whole lot, other than the fact that the person has the extra time to use spellcheck and to fix the errors... And that the person is sensitive to others' opinions about him/her. Some people are too busy and/or don't care. Personally, busy people who think for themselves impress me more than people-pleasers who constantly seek approval and are afraid to do anything new or different (even if the busy people make more typos.)

You aren't serious, are you? Are you saying that a person who is conscientious about their written communications is only doing so because they're hyper-sensitive about others' opinions? I rarely need spellcheck, because I learned how to write in school. You seem to be equating lazy/poor communication skills with innovative and independent thinking. In my opinion, you are way wrong on every point you're trying to make in this post. You seem to be implying that lazy grammarians are trail-blazers, or something. They're not. They're just lazy.

Roy Munson said:
You aren't serious, are you? Are you saying that a person who is conscientious about their written communications is only doing so because they're hyper-sensitive about others' opinions? I rarely need spellcheck, because I learned how to write in school. You seem to be equating lazy/poor communication skills with innovative and independent thinking. In my opinion, you are way wrong on every point you're trying to make in this post. You seem to be implying that lazy grammarians are trail-blazers, or something. They're not. They're just lazy.

Doctors are notorious for their terrible handwriting. They are in fact too busy and have too many things to do during any given hour of any given day, in order to be able to spend lots of time making everything look 'just perfect.' So they hurriedly scribble out some text, and everyone is able to read it, even though it is messy. I get emails from someone I know who is a double board certified doctor, with more than one doctorate in different fields on top of that, and her emails each contain at least a few typos. They aren't quite chicken-scratch, but it is obvious that she is so busy that she can't justify spending too much time on any one task. In business/management terms, she is 'satisficing' - doing what is 'good enough' in order to not waste too much time doing more than what is necessary and maximize her productivity throughout the day, and there's nothing wrong with that. I can read her emails, and she probably doesn't really care if there are a couple of typos, just as other doctors probably don't care that everyone thinks their writing is 'messy.' Is that more clear? Obviously emails and posts to casual message boards are different than publishing articles in professional journals or other more formal types of writing.

larryg said:

Of course anything could be sold with typos. But in reality, a good polished sentence or add or post or anything makes the writer look more adult. I wouldn't buy a product from someone that couldn't spell check a post, if they are to lazy to do that, what else are they to lazy to do?

My school for some reason thought that spelling tests from 3rd grade to 8th grade weren't important. Man oh man, I had to teach myself how to spell. I am still horrible at grammer, but I learned that I have to read what I write. If I don't do it, why should I expect anyone else to?

I also relate this to when people have such poor hand writing that it's illegible. There's no reason for that except complete laziness (aside from any medical condition).

larryg said:
Doctors are notorious for their terrible handwriting. They are in fact too busy and have too many things to do during any given hour of any given day, in order to be able to spend lots of time making everything look 'just perfect.' .

I have always been able to read my doctors handwriting. If I couldn't I asked them to print it out. I think this is a stigma that is out of date. No one is to rushed to print legiblely. I don't care who you are. Writing is part of their work, & if they take pride in said work then they should take pride in being able to write prescriptions everyone will be able to read.

larryg said:
doing what is 'good enough' in order to not waste too much time doing more than what is necessary and maximize her productivity throughout the day, .

I'm glad that a Doctor is doing just what is "Good enough". Plus these are personal correspondences & I highly doubt that this person is taking time out of surgery to rush off an email to you.

Usually people that do not have problems reading through typos are poor spellers in and of themselves. Those of us that have struggled through grammer & spelling won't read such drivel. If you don't have the courtesy/ time to use spell check or read your email/post, I don't have the time to read it

larryg said:
Doctors are notorious for their terrible handwriting. They are in fact too busy and have too many things to do during any given hour of any given day, in order to be able to spend lots of time making everything look 'just perfect.' So they hurriedly scribble out some text, and everyone is able to read it, even though it is messy.

Actually, this form of laziness and misplaced priorities has been a significant cause of death and injury. If everyone were able to read their scribbles, this would not be the case.

I get emails from someone I know who is a double board certified doctor, with more than one doctorate in different fields on top of that, and her emails each contain at least a few typos. They aren't quite chicken-scratch, but it is obvious that she is so busy that she can't justify spending too much time on any one task. In business/management terms, she is 'satisficing' - doing what is 'good enough' in order to not waste too much time doing more than what is necessary and maximize her productivity throughout the day, and there's nothing wrong with that. I can read her emails, and she probably doesn't really care if there are a couple of typos, just as other doctors probably don't care that everyone thinks their writing is 'messy.' Is that more clear? Obviously emails and posts to casual message boards are different than publishing articles in professional journals or other more formal types of writing.

Well, at the start, you seemed to be defending Hediki's incoherent posting style. Do your multiple-doctorate correspondents communicate as badly as he does? If not, then I guess I still don't understand your point.

Roy Munson said:
Well, at the start, you seemed to be defending Hediki's incoherent posting style. Do your multiple-doctorate correspondents communicate as badly as he does? If not, then I guess I still don't understand your point.

I think the point is, we need a point! lol I don't understand this round about way of writing very well.

If a train leaves boston going 55 mph & a chicken is in Oakland humming Stars & Stripes, what color egg does she lay? :D

larryg said:
Doctors are notorious for their terrible handwriting. They are in fact too busy and have too many things to do during any given hour of any given day, in order to be able to spend lots of time making everything look 'just perfect.' So they hurriedly scribble out some text, and everyone is able to read it, even though it is messy. I get emails from someone I know who is a double board certified doctor, with more than one doctorate in different fields on top of that, and her emails each contain at least a few typos. They aren't quite chicken-scratch, but it is obvious that she is so busy that she can't justify spending too much time on any one task. In business/management terms, she is 'satisficing' - doing what is 'good enough' in order to not waste too much time doing more than what is necessary and maximize her productivity throughout the day, and there's nothing wrong with that. I can read her emails, and she probably doesn't really care if there are a couple of typos, just as other doctors probably don't care that everyone thinks their writing is 'messy.' Is that more clear? Obviously emails and posts to casual message boards are different than publishing articles in professional journals or other more formal types of writing.

It's not clear to me. :shrugs:
How can you possibly jump to handwriting? The amount of time that someone has to carry out a task, due to a busy schedule or whatever reason, in no way correlates to their intelligence or ingenuity.

I can't read my dad's handwriting and he's in ad sales. I can't read my grandma's writing and she only has an 8th grade education. :shrugs:

Saving time by scribbling or not hitting spell-check is a completely bogus concept. It takes about two seconds more (if that) to write legibly. I write very fast and it is easy enough to read. Spell check takes a few seconds at the maximum.

What some people lack are good fine motor skills.

I just hit spell-check and voila no errors, and it took all of one second!

Roy Munson said:
Actually, this form of laziness and misplaced priorities has been a significant cause of death and injury. If everyone were able to read their scribbles, this would not be the case.

Maybe so, but if the doctors spent twice as much time writing neatly, they'd be able to treat fewer patients.

I started out saying that compared to the other reptile breeders and sellers, he doesn't exactly stand out because he can't spell. It's apparently a common problem.

My point is that there can be different reasons why someone's posts do or don't have typos and that even someone who can't spell can use spellcheck, so the absence of typos doesn't prove much at all. The double doctorate woman would have either gotten a snake already or stopped talking about it long ago. She didn't get to where she is by pursuing phantoms.

larryg said:
Maybe so, but if the doctors spent twice as much time writing neatly, they'd be able to treat fewer patients.

I started out saying that compared to the other reptile breeders and sellers, he doesn't exactly stand out because he can't spell. It's apparently a common problem.

My point is that there can be different reasons why someone's posts do or don't have typos and that even someone who can't spell can use spellcheck, so the absence of typos doesn't prove much at all. The double doctorate woman would have either gotten a snake already or stopped talking about it long ago. She didn't get to where she is by pursuing phantoms.

It's not about spelling. This guy can't even string together misspelled words coherently. Pursuing phantoms? Are you drunk or something? What the heck are YOU trying to say?

The point is that at 17 years of age, and being a junior/senior in high school, one should be able to actually string out a few words to make a proper sentence. There is no excuse for poor grammar and spelling, especially if it's just being lazy. I honestly do not see how after all of those years of schooling anyone could really spell that poorly.

Making excuses for poor grammar/spelling by saying that doctors write poorly is so out there, I'm not even sure I can make a comment. I don't understand what in the heck that has to do with anything. Who cares what a doctor does?

Are you trying to state that poor spelling/grammar doesn't relate to intelligence? I'd say it most certainly does.

Let's play story time, shall we?

My roomate my sophomore year moved in a 24 year old tow truck driver, who dropped out of high school his freshman/sophomore year---or something like that. It was a huge problem, and eventually got quite nasty. He would leave me notes threatening me or discussing his 'beef' with me, but it was just comical. He could not properly use where/were/we're or to/two/too. His grammar was a trainwreck and it was very difficult to take him seriously. Point it, he wasn't very intelligent---and his writing confirmed that.

If you want to be taken seriously, then you need to spell properly. It takes no extra time to spell out later as opposed to typing l8tr. In fact, typing l8tr takes more effort than typing later does because of placement on the keyboard. Typing l8tr is being juvenille and thinking that the world is one giant chat room on AOL. He will learn.

umm...

Joejr14 said:
Typing l8tr is being juvenille and thinking that the world is one giant chat room on AOL. He will learn.

Uhh...juvenile, Joe, it's spelled juvenile...but, seriously, who's worried about spelling. :grin01:

zwyatt said:
Uhh...juvenile, Joe, it's spelled juvenile...but, seriously, who's worried about spelling.

One misspelled word out of 4 paragraphs doesn't exactly have me worried, especially after working an 8 hour shift.

There's a huge difference between spelling one word wrong, and creating post after post of material that nobody can even begin to read.

Joejr14 said:
One misspelled word out of 4 paragraphs doesn't exactly have me worried, especially after working an 8 hour shift.

There's a huge difference between spelling one word wrong, and creating post after post of material that nobody can even begin to read.

No harm done. I forgot to add the smiley to that post.

zwyatt said:
I think that was a little uncalled for. What she said may have been harsh, but it fits the bill. Besides, if you've been around the forum this long it shouldn't be any skin off your teeth.

On the bright side, you spelled everything perfectly. :rolleyes:

hediki said:
go to hell..... :flames: :flames: :twoguns:

Yes it is all spelled correctly, now lets just work on punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, spacing and capitalization.

Just to add my 2 cents, I know my spelling is terrible, but I made up for it with my grammar and writing level in school; in college I never got less than an A- on a paper. Thats why I personally use spell check. That was my only problem with writing, and I know my strengths and weaknesses and I solve them.

The fact that Hediki, said he uses spell check and it obviously is a blatant lie, is disrespectful, not to mention telling people to 'go to hell'.

I'm laughing to myself that this thread is becoming as long as it is. Gives me something to read though :grin01: .

hediki said:
go to hell..... :flames: :flames: :twoguns:

This is exactly the kind of childish response I would expect from you. Now pay attention here: "Go" should be capitalized, since it is the first word of a sentence. "Hell" should be capitalized since it is a proper name. See, I can't even take your insults seriously because of the poor grammar. But I'm sure it looked ok to you. :rolleyes:

What's worse? Poor Grammer, or arguing about it for a month online with other "adults" on the internet? Or maybe I should be so shallow to think that I can pass judgement on someone because of the way they type on a friggen internet forum? Maybe some of the people here should have become English teachers, since they love to spend their time correcting others. Not that things don't bother me, but, I'm not going to cast the first stone. I don't know..... but I just don't see the point of taking a whack at someone's self-esteem, just to feel better about myself because I know how to type properly. Seriously, doesn't anyone else feel that this thread going on like this is a little..... DUMB?

Even right now as I type this, I get the feeling that I could be doing a whole lot of things that are way more important. Like filing my toenails, or cleaning the toilet. Or maybe just answering a question to some 19 year old's thread that was full of mis-spelt words, poor grammer, and l33t h@x0r cyber talk. Even when the answer is in the FAQ's that this idiot forgot to read....

and remember:

retarted.jpg

2i2_D3gr33s said:
Seriously, doesn't anyone else feel that this thread going on like this is a little..... DUMB?
Well, now you've registered your opinion. It wasn't dumb enough for you to leave it alone. You bumped it.
Even right now as I type this, I get the feeling that I could be doing a whole lot of things that are way more important. Like filing my toenails, or cleaning the toilet.
Then why didn't you?
:rolleyes:

P.S.: Your attached image doesn't bother me, but it may offend others.

2i2_D3gr33s said:
What's worse? Poor Grammer, or arguing about it for a month online with other "adults" on the internet? Or maybe I should be so shallow to think that I can pass judgement on someone because of the way they type on a friggen internet forum? Maybe some of the people here should have become English teachers, since they love to spend their time correcting others. Not that things don't bother me, but, I'm not going to cast the first stone. I don't know..... but I just don't see the point of taking a whack at someone's self-esteem, just to feel better about myself because I know how to type properly. Seriously, doesn't anyone else feel that this thread going on like this is a little..... DUMB?

Uh, this thread was started day before yesterday, not a month ago, and if it is so DUMB, why are you participating in it?

Back