• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Influencing snake size via feeding schedule

It may be a long time between feedings, but it's not going to result in emaciation a la Doc's snakes.

While I agree that it's obvious Doc's snakes emaciated and likely only fed every 10+ days. I still feel like every 7 days is the absolute max. I have anywhere between 50 and 200 babie Corns to take care of at any given time. They all get fed every 4-5 days. All the one's I'm keeping to breed get fed every 4 days if they're babies, and once they start eating small mice, I feed every 7 days. My big male Sunkissed is a porker and he gets one mouse every 14 days

I have found this thread interesting. My snakes are all rescues. Two came from bad situations where the husbandry was truly awful. I have often wondered if that will stunt their growth or if they will grow up to be the same size they would have if taken care of properly. They seem to be growing great now. I know all corns grow at different speeds, but it would be FANTASTIC if there was some kind of generic corn age/size chart you could reference to see if your corns were in the normal zone. As it is, I go by the "loaf of bread" profile idea. Mine all look like lovely loafs of bread. ;)

You told me you fed once a week on Wednesdays when I got that motley from you.:shrugs:

I ment to mention that in my previous post. I used to feed every 7 days, on Wednesday. After seeing Doc's thread and starting to keep corns again, now I feed on Wednesdays and Sundays or Mondays. I am constantly modifying my feeding and cleaning days LOL

While I agree that it's obvious Doc's snakes emaciated and likely only fed every 10+ days.

No.

As I pointed out, I have had non-feeder hatchlings go SIX WEEKS, that is 6 turning of a 7 day span, ie 42 days, that have not been in as poor condition as Doc's snakes. The most recent non, and now sporadic, feeder of that time span, is in fact doing quite well, though he typically only accepts 2 mice out of 3... on a 7 day feed schedule.

It's usually around a full 8 to 10 weeks that the babies (that is, newly hatched hatchlings) I've had begin to go 'mushy' and lethargic, at which point I euthanise them.

If you feed on sunday/monday and wednesdays, you're feeding up to every third day. That means only two days between meals, or if on monday, only one full day between meals.

So your one baby is a rule? I've seen snakes go lethargic after 20 days of not feeding. It depends on the snakes too. Not all snakes were created equal and some have higher tolerences than others, just like people. I know most days I don't eat breakfast and eat a small lunch. And then a regular dinner and I do fine. My friends can't believe how little I eat. I'm just not hungry and I maintain my weight fine. I'm sure other's couldn't do that.

Let's seee... Feren, the two I got from Susan, another I got from Susan but who began eating after a month and then was a chow hound, the three from the first clutch who didn't eat for 3 weeks at all, and the one of those who held out for 5, and the one who went 8 weeks and was euthanised, the one from second clutch who went 7 weeks and was only starting to show signs of being skinny, the one from third clutch who went 6 weeks and is now eating sporadically.

So, in two years that's 8 babies who've all gone at least 4 weeks without eating without being on death's door.

*edit* OH! I forgot the 5+ weeks for the male I won at Daytona two years ago, and What-the. So that's 10 babies.

Like I said some are more sensitive than others. I never feed Sunday, then Monday. There are 3 full days between feedings if I feed Sundays, 4 if I feed Monday

Like I said some are more sensitive than others. I never feed Sunday, then Monday. There are 3 full days between feedings if I feed Sundays, 4 if I feed Monday

And I never said you feed sunday THEN monday. I said sunday/monday AND wednesday.

From sunday to wednesday is a mere 3 day span. From Monday to wednesday is a mere 2 day span.

I understand now. I can see where that sounds short but, I never have regurges, and I never have any snakes that become obese. I don't see an issue.

It's powerfeeding. My 6-month old snakes on a once a week schedule (well... once a week plus a few 2 week periods when I had my appenectomy) are all in the 13 to 15 gram range, and my 3-month old snakes, who have not had the large gaps, are around 10-11 grams.

All of these guys hatched out around 6 to 7 grams. I feed a little conservatively, but they are clearly growing. And once they get on fuzzies, they tend to really take off.

I was once told to not get in a pissing match with a skunk. So I'm going to duck out of this. I know my snakes are healthy and I'll go above and beyond to prove it.

Like I said, just because you've produced the eggs ( and males don't have to carry the eggs at 12 weeks old) I suspect you'll significantly shorten the lifespan of your female by breeding early and often. It takes a lot out of her to breed, carry eggs, and lay them. I don't even breed my females every year. Every 2 is the most I'll do with them. You say it's healthy but if you study the breeding habits of many species of snake, most don't start until they are well over 5 years old and many don't breed yearly. As for feeding every 10 days....you saw the pictures of my baby. Does it look thin? Does it look stunted? I have cornsnakes here in South Carolina and for the most part they are slender, not too large animals. All the wild caught stuff I've found were well under 3 ft. and perhaps 300 grams or so. Lean and muscular. I doubt a baby cornsnake that hatched out in July or August or even later would get many meals before they go into hibernation. There are lizards here of course and I suspect they might even take insects if that's all there is for them but mice....almost never. Not until they are older. Finding a nest of day old pinkies where the mother mouse or rat doesn't try to defend them would be well...highly unlikely. I've done a lot of study on snakes digestive systems and they are designed to be empty for a good part of the time. Having food on it all the time is not healthy for them at all. Even if your snake has deficated it's not empty by any means. If you brumate you know this is true. Even after 3 months, the snake can still poop something out. My males that go off food are still going poop...not large amounts, but they do. That means the meal they poop is from several meals ago perhaps. I think it's more about how you feel about your snake going without food. I've seen the detrimental side of feeding too often and I will no longer do it.

Why do you want to feed twice a week, David?

After seeing the whole Doc thing, I want to ensure my snakes are getting optimal care and optimal food intake. They are all feeding fine and none have re-gurged or had any issues. They're not fat, but growing very well.

Have you seen Brian Barczyk's Cornsnake feeding experiment results? He got better results with fewer, larger meals, contrary to popular opinion.

Babies rarely will be obese...they just grow...it's the adults that will become obese from feeding so much. Rapid growth with unnaturally rapid maturation is not healthy. You may think your snakes look healthy but I'll put any of mine up against anyone else's. I own 8 different species of snake...some are insect eaters. Those are fed weekly or more often...slugs are not as fulfilling as a mouse. My False water cobras are generally fed weekly or every 10 days even as adults as they are very, very active and burn calories rapidly. That said, my male is off food for breeding and has only taken on medium rat in 4 months...he's not skinny. He's lost some weight, but not an alarming amount. I can tell you one thing....the snakes are much more active than when I used to feed weekly. Anyone who says their cornsnakes sit in a hide all the time has a lethargic snake. Mine were out all the time. Much more excercise looking for food then waiting for it to come to you....even feeding f/t....they are out hunting until feeding day.

Meg, I agree with the way of you're thinking. Not saying I would follow it to a ""T"" but if you say "you care about your snakes" your way works out better for the snake.

Back