• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Malakai-Irian Jaya Carpet Python

So, I did some re-arranging of some tanks and Malakai now has an 18-cube Exo-Terra to roam around in.

I got the cube from a deal I found on Craigslist...which also came with a Crested Gecko (See Meet Minion thread), and a ton of plants. So seeing as Minion is too small right now for this tank, I figured I would use it for Malakai until he grows out of it.

So what I did is cleaned out his old tank (10 gal), turned it on it's side, and that is now "Minions Mansion" (once again, See Meet Minion thread for pics).

Now, without any more jib jab, here it is. :D

I think he likes it....don't you? :grin01:
pic362.jpg

pic364.jpg

pic368.jpg

pic374.jpg

I love how yellow these babies are getting! Jezanna & Daray have that beautiful yellow. I'm glad Malakai is getting it too! :)

Malakai finally (after three weeks) shed a couple days ago! But it wasn't the best shed, so I waited a few days to feed him.

And tonight was his first adult mouse, and he took an HOUR squeezing it, and "inspecting" it before he finally decided he would eat it. Then it took him all but 2 minutes to gulp it down, easily.

So I got a few pics of him eating. Please excuse the messy kitchen and feeding tub.....I need to clean both, and he likes to swing his mouse around before he eats it. Messy little man! And another note, even though I used flash, this really shows his true colors very well. The gold creeping in his black is getting lighter with each shed, and is now visible (barely) through every part of his black bits too.

pic410.jpg

pic414.jpg

pic411.jpg

pic413.jpg

Yawn!
pic415.jpg

Kay mom, I'm done....put me back now.
pic416.jpg

Update time! I hope you guys don't mind a ton of pictures, because I love taking them!

I finally weighed him today, and he weighs a nice 300 grams. Heather did you ever weigh him when you had him? And if so do you remember what it was? I know he's grown but I was curious as to how much. Do you think he is at an ideal weight for his age/size?

He is now eating adult mice very well, and once he outgrows those, I will switch to rats. :)

He is also a dream to handle now. No cage aggression, no hissing, and he likes to just sit around your wrist or neck and just watch the world go by. :) The only time he ever shows any "aggression" is when he is put in his feeding tub. He knows what its used for and if anything "warm and mouse like" gets near him when he is in there.....he tries to get it. His aim isn't very good though, so I've only been tagged twice. :grin01:

Anyway, without further adieu, here he is! :)

pic443.jpg

pic445.jpg

pic440.jpg

pic439.jpg

Wow. I am enjoying this thread.
That is a beautiful snake.

I love corns, but pythons have such beautiful heads and eyes.

Keep sharing the pics!

I love the one of him yawning!!

Cool pics. I handled my carpet today and she pooed all over me lol. Lots of fun to handle, even more active than corns.

Lol Awww.....she was marking her territory! lol And Malakai is actually not as active as Donatello, he's curious when he first gets out, then he finds a spot to hang out and will sit there until you remember he is there lol He likes around my neck the best, so he can hide under my hair. :)

How is your baby doing?

She's getting better with the handling. Today she let me hold her for quite a long time before she pooed, which I'm sure was a defensive behavior.

I'm expecting a shed from her sometime soon (Mr. Cuddles is also going blue), but I'll be out of town next week. I'm a little nervous about humidity levels, so I'll see if I can find some moss at Walmart.

That's what I do, moss the heck out of his tank (cover half of the bottom of his tank, but leave under his hides dry....not that he's ever in them anymore lol) and then spray it every morning and night. At least when he's in shed. When he's not in shed it's pretty good for humidity. Heat is my big issue. I only have the one UTH which is on the top back of his tank right now because that's where he likes to hang out the most. I have a heat light on him at night but I'm thinking I will get a ceramic heat emitter at the expo this weekend and just exchange the two out every day. We will see :)

I took Malakai outside today. It was the first time he's ever been on grass so he was very curious.

002-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Can you say iridescence?
007.jpg

009.jpg

Streeetch
011.jpg

012.jpg

Malakai has really great coloration. Never looked to closely at the coloration of a carpet python before. Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Wow......it's been a while since I updated this! Since my last post so much has happened! I have moved to Auburn and am going to the Art Institute for photography up in Seattle. I have gotten a boa, and another Carpet, and lost my little Crestie, Minion (RIP Little Lady :( ) and most importantly Malakai has grown a ton!

He is now feeding on rats, and is about 5 feet long. I took him outside the other day because it was nice and warm and sunny. I didn't notice until he was outside that he is in shed in these pictures lol. Oh well....it's good for him to get some excersize!

220.jpg

223.jpg

219.jpg

217.jpg

224.jpg

Back