• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Military. *your Thoughts*

Im 14 guys no worries i didnt mean now. I just told my mom my idea about it.

OMG! Here I am thinking I was talking to a kid that was on the verge of graduating high school. LOL!

Well then, you have a ways to go. What I would do is start looking if your high school offers a JROTC program. I would also talk to a recruiter when and if they come by your school. They can help you figure out what you need to do to prepare, in case you still want to do this when the time comes.

It's a good career if you do it, but don't go crazy about it. Enjoy being young, do good in school, graduate and then start working toward the military.

Wayne

OMG! Here I am thinking I was talking to a kid that was on the verge of graduating high school. LOL!

Well then, you have a ways to go. What I would do is start looking if your high school offers a JROTC program. I would also talk to a recruiter when and if they come by your school. They can help you figure out what you need to do to prepare, in case you still want to do this when the time comes.

It's a good career if you do it, but don't go crazy about it. Enjoy being young, do good in school, graduate and then start working toward the military.

Wayne

Lol. Nope im Just 14. I always thought of the army as a backup plan just incase i didnt make it where i wanted to be. but now im thinking about it as a full on Career like you Said JROTC would start me out in the right direction

Wayne

Nope,skip the recruiter. Most of them are full of it. As far as being a SEAL,it might be ok. I am in the Army,so I don't know much about SEALS. But,I do know that you can't join to be a seal. You have to already be in the Navy,must be a specific rank(I dont know what rank),and be up to date on physicals,pt, and still there is a waiting list. It is with all schools. When I went to jump school at Ft Bragg,I was on the waiting list for almost a year.

Overall,the military is OK. But,it's not for everyone. You have to be dedicated. I have been in since 2004 and just re-enlisted last year for 6 more years.

My husband is in the Coast Guard and loves it. He works on the Jayhawk helicopters (equivalent to Blackhawks, but equipped to save lives instead of take them). He's been in since a few weeks after high school, which makes it... 12 years this summer, and he loves his job. In fact, if that's a branch you consider, I'm sure he'd love to talk to you if you had any questions. As far as from a lifestyle standpoint, it really depends if you plan on a 4 year military stint or a career. Moving every 4 years (even shorter for many!) is hard on everyone...not easy for ME to find a job, over and over, to drive cross country (though I enjoy that part), to deal with finding a new place to live, to move all the pets (last cross country drive we brought a dog, 2 cats, a parrot, a sand boa, and 2 corns), to leave all your friends, and not to have much say so in that. Anyways, you're young and have plenty of time to consider your options and change your mind about life. Just consider it carefully. Lots of great perks, but also lots of drawbacks. When your military id says "property of the US government" they don't mean the ID!!

Spent 8 years in the US ARMY as a Combat Military Policeman (MOS 95B10)
Best thing I have ever done in my life. I still keep in touch with the guys I served with. :uzi:

Hey, get the book "Lone Survivor" for recent account of seal stuff and the largest SF disaster in history - 2005. By Marcus Lutterll.

SF is not about killing lots of people, it's not a video game. All of the SF schools are designed to mess with your head. Basically they want to see how you handle stress and lots of it. They want to see how you work in a team and work with a lot of different personalities. Most people can't handle being very tired, sore/hurt, hungry and miserable. They are not used to it. Their minds are not strong enough and they break down. You really need to have the drive to get through the process, it's in your head. If your are strong in your mind and have the smarts and are athletic you stand a chance. Normal basic training is a VERY water down version of selection process for SF.

Most people who go into SF are usually in the military for a little before they go to qualification and then going to on to selection (additional longer selection process) at least in the Army.

The really big muscle type guys don't usually make it. You need lots and lots of cardio and aerobic endurance. You need to be strong, but not like in the movies (Arnold/Van Dam..Etc). You are better off if your light, agile, fast and athletic.

Your feet are going to be a total mess (blisters soars, sprains...etc) and hurt extremely bad. There is not way around this. Again, designed to mess with your mind.

You will be given endless tasks and your instructors will mess with you, over and over. Again designed to mess with your mind.

IMO if you get into and pass everything and end up in a SF unit. You are stoked. You are going to be working with highly trained and skilled people. That means when you go on a deployment then men on your left and right are excellent at their jobs and expect the same from you. I'm not knocking other jobs or positions in the military, but you will be working the best when it counts.

Most SF guys today work various missions all over the world. They are part of larger picture and are not trying to kill bad guy X, or storm some building. They work to gather intelligence - get it to analysts, make alliances/allies in new areas, and handle source's and confidential informants....etc.

They get lots of training on all the cool stuff like most people imagine. What most don't realize is that they are looking for people with a brain and people who can make the best decision given worse case situations.

I hope that helps...G-luck to you and get that book..

-Chet

I'm a military brat... my father was in the US Army for 24 years. I can't answer for him, but I can give you a little insight for any kids that might come after you've joined up.

My 2 brothers and it LOVED being military kids. We got to travel to some pretty neat places and we enjoyed that travel. I think living that life has helped us to be able to see the many different sides of situations and life, making us decent people (well, my brothers anyway ;) ).

Pros: Travel. See other cultures. Try different foods. MANY very kewl memories. The list goes on. ANYWHERE can be "home".

Cons: No real "lifetime friends" - we moved too often. No one place to call "home". Every few years, I get an "itch" to move - but I'm overcoming that now. LOL.

As for the other stuff... YES, I support our brave men and women serving our country. Often wondered if I should have served myself.

I hope this is helpful... if not, let me know and I can delete it. :)

Fred, why in the world would we want to delete it? Your opinion is significant. More than significant.

I support our military men and women. I admire them, for it is something I truly couldn't do. I appreciate their sacrifices.

There is certainly a place for the warrior class in almost any society. They keep the rest of us safe. I couldn't do it, for I will not kill. I have always encouraged my children to avoid the military, too. It may be selfish, but I don't want to lose them. I think my own form of "brainwashing" (boot camp, if you will) "took", 'cause none of them, now all grown, want anything to do with killing or war.

My hats off to every one of you who answer that calling. You are stronger than I'll ever be.

Well My name is Ryan.

And yes i am very much in love with animals.

But also this new intrest building inside me is overwhelming. And its not like me to Change Goals so fastly im very stong minded and stubborn. Refusing to give up and i always want to be the best in everything witch is why i thought navy seals would be for me.

Also another question.

Ok talk to my mom about the idea. Im an only child and she was basicly like
H*LL NO! So what should i do about that can i join with out her perimission i thought i needed it signed by a parent.

I know not alot of you know much on Navy Seals but there is Prep School to get you in shape for BUD/s. Prep school is optional its 8 weeks would you do it?

Ryan, it is a great goal, something to work toward. You are young with lots of time to decide. Your mom is thinking I don't want my baby in harms way. That is natural, but if it is something you really want she will come around. Whoty is in the Army now and has given you some good advice as have many others. Stay in school. Get your education, that is the very best thing you can do now. It will help you in the service or anywhere else you choose to go.

Ryan, If you want something close to SF but not quite all the Jazz as that... Try EOD. I was in the USAF for 4 years and 2 months. (I extended for my last deployment) I got out last December and if I ever had to go back and do it again I wouldn't pick any other career than good old Explosive Ordnance Disposal.

Oh and the Navy tends to call their EOD guys "baby SEALs" LOL, But from what I have heard if you are EOD in the Navy you could be lucky enough to get yourself attached to a SEAL Unit have yourself some fun breaching all sorts of things...

Nope,skip the recruiter. Most of them are full of it. As far as being a SEAL,it might be ok. I am in the Army,so I don't know much about SEALS. But,I do know that you can't join to be a seal. You have to already be in the Navy,must be a specific rank(I dont know what rank),and be up to date on physicals,pt, and still there is a waiting list. It is with all schools. When I went to jump school at Ft Bragg,I was on the waiting list for almost a year.

from what i learned you need no Prior Navy experince and i got this from the navy website.

http://www.navy.com/about/navylife/onduty/seals/becomingaseal/

Also what do you mean skip the recruiter?

I have one more suggestion, Ryan. Start getting in shape several years before you join. Running, pushups (LOTS of pushups), pullups, etc, etc. I don't think, from what I know, any amount of fitness can prepare you for Basic, let alone BUDS, but the fitter you are before you go to Basic, the better off you will be. I wanted to join the Marines, and I did all this, so I could do 50 proper military pushups no problem. Then I didn't pass the goldarn eye test!

Edit: ask someone who has been in the military, like Aaron, what kinds of physical things you should be ready to do in Basic, and start working on them very gradually.

Fred, why in the world would we want to delete it? Your opinion is significant. More than significant.
I agree. I think the view from a dependents position is very pertinent. I separated before my son was born but my daughter was an AF brat. I think she is better off for it. That said I would definitely consider the affects of service on your family.

from what i learned you need no Prior Navy experince and i got this from the navy website.

http://www.navy.com/about/navylife/onduty/seals/becomingaseal/

Also what do you mean skip the recruiter?

I can't answer you about the NAVY SEALS Training. I was in the ARMY and have little if any knowledge regarding it.

As far as the recruiter statement, I think because some unscrupulous recruiters tend to "fluff" the information a bit. They stretch the truth when it comes to military benefits, training, etc. Recruiters are required to process so many new recruits per month. Their paychecks and rank depend on it. So the more recruits they get, the better.

I don't know any other way to enlist, then by talking to a recruiter. I suppose you could attempt to walk onto one of the many bases that are around the country, but you will still have to go through a MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station).

If I were you, I would talk to the recruiter. Take everything they say with a grain of salt. Continue what you are doing now, by talking active and former military members. Somewhere in all of it, you are going to get the truth of what to expect.

Wayne

BrandNew,
My brother was wanting to be a seal when he went in. They put him through some rough swimming trials and everything... You have to pass a lot of physical tests before they consider you for SEALS, he ended up hurting himself during one of the tests and decided it wasn't for him.. He is now under the Pacific ocean on a Sub, and he loves his job. So pick a beginning career that you will like, something that you can fall back on if you need to.

Also, Do a whole lot of swimming, we had a small river behind our house and I told my brother to run a couple of miles a day and swim against the current for as long as he could right after running in order to get ready. Of course he didn't which is why he washed out early, but I would tell you to do the same. If you have a place that you can swim against a current. If not, swim many many laps.

Oh and he had no prior Navy Experience, they were recruiting him for SEALS straight out of Civilian life.

What Whoty means by skip the recruiter is, your recruiter is going to want to fill a slot, he has a certain amount of people that he has to recruit for certain jobs. So he is going to want to push you in that direction... So what i suggest, you need to be forceful and push your own direction... Most of the people who go into recruiting stations do not know what they want... They are just trying to get out of Mom and Dad's house, and do not realize what they are getting themselves into...

so, 1 Know what you want. and 2 Go after it and do not take "No" for an answer.

I can't speak from experience in regards to serving in the US military... I have served in the Israeli defense force(IDF- our military) for the three mandatory years as a tank commander.

Some of the things you can end up seeing as a soldier in a combat unit... can really strike you to your core. Not everyone handles it well.

I believe you have a while yet to go... and I will never be able to truly convey the feel... and I imagine that the Israeli soldiers experience things differently due to the fact that each army faces a different reality and condition(even when comparing to the soldiers in Iraq, the supporting structure of both armies is very different... won't get into it here but I am not insinuating we have a harder time- simply a different time).

Enjoy your age, the time will come soon enough... and by then life would have inevitably drawn you in a million different directions.

Back