• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Official Daytona NRBE 2013 Thread

RobbiesCornField

Bring it on.
Time to start planning your vacation for August 16th-18th!

If you're planning on attending the Daytona Beach NRBE this year, I have a block of rooms set aside for us at the Daytona Beach Residence Inn Marriott. Single rooms are $65 + tax, and two-bedroom suites are $75 + tax (which beats last years rates ;) )! It is a little bit further from the actual show venue, but I know several of us that have confirmed will be driving over, so it'll be easy to catch a ride. The Daytona Beach Airport is literally right next to the hotel, and a complimentary shuttle is provided to bring you over.

For the single, click here.

For the two-bedroom, click here.

To view the property in general, click here.

As of this moment, I still have 2 of the two bedrooms left (but I'm sure I can add more to our block if needed), and 5 singles. If you find that you can't book, send me a message, and I'll get you in! Room bookings need to be confirmed by July 16th, but I can try to squeeze in additional rooms after (NOT a guarantee, though). Just a simple reminder, all Marriott properties are non-smoking.

There will be a CS.com gathering on Saturday evening where we will do a benefit raffle and dinner ($20/ea for the dinner and raffle tickets at $1/ea). Last year, we raised $1,000 to benefit Sean Bradley (and this was from a group of less than 20 people)! A benefactor for this year still has yet to be decided, but since cornsnakes.com is an international site, we want it to go to a group or individual that could truly use our help, and who has done a lot for the herp community. If you have any suggestions, or would like to make a donation to the raffle (animals, gift certificates, dry goods, etc), please contact me so we can start putting out the information. Please contact me to purchase tickets for the dinner. I want to have a decent head count at least a week before the event so I know how much to order from the caterer. You CAN attend the raffle without purchasing a dinner ticket. But what fun is a raffle on an empty stomach? ;)

Feel free to pass along or share this information! The more people, the better! Tickets for the dinner also include a ticket for a DOOR PRIZE (everyone gets a door prize), and an entry into the GRAND PRIZE raffle.

I look forward to seeing you in August!

I'll be attending!! Arriving Thursday, leaving Sunday.

Last year was our first year at the Marriott. The rooms are AWESOME!!! And PET FRIENDLY! For a very minimal fee, I brought my dog Bella with. NO size limit! Another room had _four_ dogs. You know what it would cost to board all of them for that many nights?

It's just a short drive across the bridge to the show- like five miles? At the Marriott, wi-fi is free. Parking is free. At the Hilton, you pay for both...

Plus- we tend to party- and this way, we're all safe at the same hotel- not out driving when we shouldn't be.

I'm sooooo excited to see all my old friends, again, and if you're NEW to Cornsnakes.com, or just haven't ever been to Daytona, or have been to Daytona and were afraid to introduce yourself- please join us! We're the friendliest bunch of people ever, and you'll fit right in!!

Gotcha. I haven't received any other ideas yet, so I'm still looking for more!
I know with the big feud between USARK and Herp Alliance right now, a lot of people are holding off on donating to either organization. Last year, one of the other potential benefactors was PIJAC. And Rich Z, but he already forbid us from doing that.

What about a group that fights rattlesnake round-ups, or promotes educational rattlesnake round-ups?

Let's Refocus Rattlesnake Roundups

I've donated to this one, the Leander Rattlesnake Roundup. I'm trying to find out what the date is.

Orry Martin is my contact- here's his Facebook page.

I know it's a painful video to watch. Force yourself to do it. Only by confronting the facts will you become angry enough to put your money where your mouth is and try to bring about change.

Center For Snake Conservation is another organization I like.

Facebook Page

About

Conservation Through Education

Mission

The Center for Snake Conservation’s mission is to promote the conservation of snakes and their natural ecosystems and implement positive change in human attitudes towards snakes.

Company Overview

The CSC is a member-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to snakes and their conservation.

Description

The Center for Snake Conservation offers the following programs:

• educational programs for children and adults
• scientific review and interpretation of current research and conservation concerns
• surveys for landowners, developers, project proponents, non-governmental agencies, and governmental agencies
• conservation services to benefit snakes and important/critical habitats
• support and conduct scientific research relevant to snake conservation

CSC will implement understanding and proactive solutions to snake education, conflict/issue management and resolution, and the balance between the requirements of snakes and the needs of humans in our developing world.

I am trying my hardest to go this year, but we will be moving to a new house the week after Daytona, so I'm not sure it's in the cards. :( We haven't completely ruled it out yet this year, but I'm thinking the move will take up too much of our time.

What about a group that fights rattlesnake round-ups, or promotes educational rattlesnake round-ups?

Let's Refocus Rattlesnake Roundups

I've donated to this one, the Leander Rattlesnake Roundup. I'm trying to find out what the date is.

Orry Martin is my contact- here's his Facebook page.

I know it's a painful video to watch. Force yourself to do it. Only by confronting the facts will you become angry enough to put your money where your mouth is and try to bring about change.

I can't go to Daytona,but I wanted to say Orry is a great guy who does a very moving presentation about roundups,I've seen him a couple of times around Houston. I also think the Leander Rattlesnake Roundup is a worthy cause for donation. just adding my 2 cents for what it's worth :)

Leander Rattlesnake Roundup is going to be held Memorial Day Weekend- so- too early. But we could still support Rise Against Rattlesnake Roundups. RARR.

Can I nominate myself?
Being a snake keeper in Israel sure is tough!

On a more serious note though... aside from Rico who definitely needs it...
Maybe also consider:
http://www.killcrypto.com/

Crypto is a huge problem- it can go a long way towards resolving one of the biggest threads to the hobby...

I found this post on the Kill Crypto Facebook page:

There have been reports of unauthorized auctions/raffles in the Kill Crypto Name in certain reptile shows. We have not been able to confirm nor deny it at this point. But we are very seriously looking into this matter. There are no fundraising efforts that take place at any reptile show for thsi project, and never will be. If you see anyone saying they are raising money for any reason for the kill crypto fund other then myself, Pat Kline, please contact us at [email protected]. We take the matter of people using our name for raising money for their own pockets very seriously. Every dime that is raised in for this project goes directly in a fund at The Lehigh Valley Zoo and used on the animals care or medical care. Allegations of any other story are simply false. Any questions please email [email protected]

Does that mean they don't want people raising money for them? Also, the clinical trials are now complete. They are writing the report, (6-8 weeks) and then publishing (6-12 months).

My family and I are going to attend Daytona this year! Look forward to meeting everyone we can. Any tips for us will be greatly appreciated. We have not been to an expo that large.

What's the best day to get there?

I know the time to buy is when you see it. Are there any thing we should avoid? Just any FYI for us will be appreciated. Where can I get a list of species we can't cross state lines with?
:crazy02:

Ummmm hate to be a buzzkill but what dates are the show. I only found the dates for last years show... Is it Aug 16-18?

Back