• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Progression thread: Cleo the Butter Motley

Gail ... glad you posted this because I wasn't going to bring up my situation till now. See your chart at almost the top where the weight goes down? When I weighed Loopy the last time his weight was down from 78 g. to 73 g. I don't know what to make of it actually. Maybe when he was weighed at 78 g. it was a pre-poo weight!? Who knows ... he certainly doesn't seem sick. Just wondering if anyone else may have had a temporary weight loss?

probably weighing some poop. I always try to weigh after poop. But even still the weight can fluctuate a bit. A good poop can weigh 20 grams, especially if there is some "Holdover Poo" that didn't all come out last time. LOL, we snake owners love to talk about Poo.

Also, didn't Loopy recently shed? Did he skip a feeding during that time? Did you account for the weight of the shed no longer being attached to him. It's not much but can be a couple of grams.

There is a lot that can affect a snake's weight. And to answer your question, Yes, Rufus goes up and down a bit in weight too. But it's mostly up. It's kind of like watching the stock market. There will be fluctuations along the way, but as long as the "Trend" is upwards, it's ok.

It's when they start losing weight and Keep losing it that you should be concerned.

And, very nice graph Gail. I wish my graph making skills were that good. I keep a handwritten journal on Rufus, his weight, growth, sheds, poops, feeding, etc... it's all there, I just don't have the computer skills to make it a nice graph.

Last edited:
[FONT="Comic Sans MS]Thanks, Karl ... I'm not too concerned. Like you said, the weight may go up and down a bit, but up mostly! I'll check him in a week or so and see what happens.[/FONT]

Thanks Ken and Karl!

I'm sure it was some poop. At that point her weight was 102, shot up to 112, and the next weigh in was 104. Except for that spike it was a steady gain. Why she held poop that long that week, I don't know; but as you can see, that's not usual so I'm not going to worry about it. I weigh her before each feeding so she has usually pooped.

As to the nice graph, I just made it in a spreadsheet. I did have to massage the weight data out of the Snakekeeper app just a little (needed to format the wt as numbers), but if you know how to graph in a spreadsheet, it's easy.

I keep data in both iHerp and Snakekeeper (an iPhone app which also automatically adds the next feeding date at my chosen interval to my calendar), but Snakekeeper is primary. I can export .csv files out of Snakekeeper and I use them primarily as backups.

The plot thickens, lol.

I added shedding data. I played with the divisions a bit to hopefully make it more quickly viewable. The sheds are the green circles across the bottom. That spike appears to be her not pooping in shed, though as you can see, holding that much is not usual for her.

This is the first visualization I've had of how often she sheds. I knew it but it is interesting seeing it. The next step would be to add prey sizes and feeding intervals, but I'm not going there today. Maybe someday. I have the data.

The slight weight loss around Jan 20 was because I was snowed in, in Baltimore. She missed a feeding. I was scratching my head over it and then I remembered.

YQwxLX1l.jpg

Cleo was my little model today! <3

Xu2wJBxl.jpg

UkKBJSxl.jpg

4en0gsCl.jpg

nZe8nQil.jpg

9eODMOtl.jpg

3fcHvdMl.jpg

This last one has me a little worried about her sense of smell, lol. ;)

DUdDjXml.jpg

Ha ha Karl. I almost had to put it in her viv because she really didn't want to come out. She was so proud of finding a new "hide"! She's sitting in there like it's Cleopatra's throne :)

And she's not chewing it. Another WIN for cornsnakes everywhere! They're so much better than "regular" pets. Thank you, Lovely Cleo, for furthering the cause!

Just when I think I know her...

I've never seen Cleo out like this 24 hours after feeding. Even at dusk. Very cute, but no more mice until next week girl!

lEVMEl2l.jpg

That's what I think, Karl.

Seriously, she gets natural light so with the shortening days, which is happening rapidly now, maybe she wants to bulk up for winter?

Interesting, Karl. She was resting her little chin on a nub of that branch, so that may be. Thanks for the, forgive the pun, heads up!

Sometimes you gotta get out the big camera. These are straight out of the cameras, no editing:

iPhone 6--

XiMzioul.jpg

Canon T6i--

iqApmnfl.jpg

Cleo was so cute peaking out of her coconut shell hide this morning. It's a secondary cool hide. She doesn't use it very often and it is even rarer to see her face at the door!

Final conclusion: each camera has its place and I'm looking forward to the camera in my iPhone 7 plus in a few weeks.

She doesn't want to miss what's going on.

We used to have a German Shepherd that would sulk like a child if you told him to get in his dog house. But he'd get in and lay with his head by the door so he could watch us kids play ball. Miss Cleo sort of reminds me of that.

Back