• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Very worried!! Snake not moving 4 days after feed!

It looks like a fine humid hide. Snakes can be brats sometimes. Probably he will find the the humid hide when you are not looking.

If he _wants_ to! You sure can't make a snake go somewhere it doesn't want to. If he needs it, though, he'll be able to find it. _Sometimes_ I just point them into it, so they know how cool it is, and then they can stay or go as they wish.

It looks like a fine humid hide. Snakes can be brats sometimes. Probably he will find the the humid hide when you are not looking.

Yea he snuck over to the cool side and now refuses to go over to the warm side where the humid hide is >< Frustrating snake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he _wants_ to! You sure can't make a snake go somewhere it doesn't want to. If he needs it, though, he'll be able to find it. _Sometimes_ I just point them into it, so they know how cool it is, and then they can stay or go as they wish.

Yea I tried guiding him in, but he's very skittish being handled, so all he wants to do is bury under the aspen to get away from me lol He's doesn't seen to want to go anywhere near it though >< Ah I hope he sheds ok o_O

Kinda like leading a horse to water...you can attempt to guide them but pfft..they do what they want lol. My hognose is that way...he has his warm side and his cool side but he spends a lot more time on his cool side. I made a humid hide for Omnom (my lavender who has issues shedding) and did he use it? Newp, he likes to do things the hard way

Kinda like leading a horse to water...you can attempt to guide them but pfft..they do what they want lol. My hognose is that way...he has his warm side and his cool side but he spends a lot more time on his cool side. I made a humid hide for Omnom (my lavender who has issues shedding) and did he use it? Newp, he likes to do things the hard way

Haha that's exactly the analogy I used to explain to my mother who didn't seem to understand why I shouldn't just shove him in. He's just going to be a pain I guess xD I'm gonna cover half his tank with a damp towel so hopefully that helps. Btw I loved that you named your snake Omnom. Fantastic name xD

Thanks ^-^ It's rather appropriate lol...he was quite the bitey little brat when he was younger...still a brat but doesn't try to bite much anymore lol.

Mostly they do.

Ah I really hope so. I got this guy with a bit of shed issue on his neck so I'm thinking maybe he's a bad shedder. Or perhaps he was just not kept in proper conditions. I don't know, I keep trying to find some fault with him cause I just don't understand why someone who had a snake for 3 years would just dump them at a shelter :/ He eats well and isn't aggressive, so I'm thinking maybe a shedding issue.

Thanks ^-^ It's rather appropriate lol...he was quite the bitey little brat when he was younger...still a brat but doesn't try to bite much anymore lol.

Haha from this forum I'm beginning to wonder if all snakes are brats xD

I just don't understand why someone who had a snake for 3 years would just dump them at a shelter

Sad huh? Probably because it was 3 years old and not a "cute little hatchling" anymore...or the kids lost interest...same goes for puppies and kittens.

If its a glass tank with screen lid you could wet a towel and lay it over the top. That's how we keep the humidity up for our boa. You can adjust the humidity by simply covering more or less of the top. That way you can bring up humidity for the entire Viv.

Igneous gives us good sheds at 20% humidity, so I don't think you will have to bring it up very high, or stress about the humid hide.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Sad huh? Probably because it was 3 years old and not a "cute little hatchling" anymore...or the kids lost interest...same goes for puppies and kittens.

Yea I hate that. Puppies and kittens usually get dumped cause they're destructive and bought impulsively. Or issues with moving and the new place doesn't accept pets. Especially destructive loud ones. But snakes are quiet, non-destructive and pretty easy/cheap to maintain. So the only reason I can think of for getting rid of one is it became a problem, ie bad feeder, shedder or highly aggressive. In fact the shelter i got Chipotle from had about 15-20 snakes, most of which were highly aggressive corns, rats and kings. Even then when you get a pet you make a commitment. If they get mean I just deal with it lol

If its a glass tank with screen lid you could wet a towel and lay it over the top. That's how we keep the humidity up for our boa. You can adjust the humidity by simply covering more or less of the top. That way you can bring up humidity for the entire Viv.

Igneous gives us good sheds at 20% humidity, so I don't think you will have to bring it up very high, or stress about the humid hide.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Yea that's a fab idea. My humidity is usually around 35%ish but when I turn my heater on it can drop down to 10-15%ish. But if I don't use the heater when it's cold, temps can drop to 65F on the cool side. ><

In the pic, it looks like you cut the hole in the humid hide with a knife. I usually prefer to do that sort of thing with a soldering iron, because usually the melted edge is smoother than a cut one. So you might want to check for any sharp edges and see what you can do to smooth them out.

If you don't have a soldering iron, you can use a nail held in a pair of pliers, and heat it on your stove.

In the pic, it looks like you cut the hole in the humid hide with a knife. I usually prefer to do that sort of thing with a soldering iron, because usually the melted edge is smoother than a cut one. So you might want to check for any sharp edges and see what you can do to smooth them out.

If you don't have a soldering iron, you can use a nail held in a pair of pliers, and heat it on your stove.

I was actually very worried about sharp edges, and rubbed the inside of my wrist vigorously along the edges of the cut before putting it in his Viv to make sure there was nothing particularly sharp. I know the cutout looks rough but I didn't feel anything that might be dangerous. If I ever have to make another hide I'll def use the nail idea, it sounds great!

Thanks again everyone who answered, I checked on him today to mist his hide/refill his water and his eyes have officially gone blue! Yay! Still no luck with the humid hide though, but it shouldn't be long :D

I would try and use painters tape around the edge still. There could be some small sharp edge you missed. Or something that could catch a scale.

I would try and use painters tape around the edge still. There could be some small sharp edge you missed. Or something that could catch a scale.

Don't have any painters tape, I'll pick some up today :)

Back