• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Boa tail photo: male or female?

I only co-hab two adult corns in the larger ones on the left, the smaller ones contain one smaller adult or two yearlings. The available surface and height is larger than most drawers I see. Any animal can use the complete viv. But of course using them for single animals would be better, but so would double the size be. I have always posted pics and sizes of the vivs in discussions about co-habbing, so it's not like new or anything. They all have one or two branches to climb in and some fake greenery.

I have never wanted to keep a snake I can't handle safely alone, so never had a desire for the big pythons, boas etc, but my corns I can keep in oversized tubs in their racks, until I win the lotto....I couldn't have a whole room to one snake because I couldn't regulate the temperature, humidity etc, remember I live in England where a few weeks of Summer are all we get! Yes I do keep more than one snake, but if I got to the stage where I couldn't have the tubs big enough so I could have more snakes I would hope my friends on here would put me right. If I cohabbed just so I could get more snakes, I'd hope my friends would intervene.

What about putting snakes in drawers to be able to keep more? And what about the experience over here that the snakes do just fine?

Well, if that's your opinion, that's your opinion... a whole bunch of people over here think very differently.

Um. After viewing your set up, I don't think I am the only one with that opinion....and like Autumn said, it seems an animal's comfort and well being just means a little bit more to their owners over here.

I know I have admitted to co-habbing before and even said it to defend you but we just don't see eye to eye on size it is ok to co-hab snakes in. I am sorry. The corns I co-habbed were 2 in a 110 tank, not something equivalent to a 20. My brother in law had a couple RTB's co-habbed but they were in a tank that was 4ft high, 8 ft wide and 5 ft deep.

You cohab in THOSE???? Seriously??? They are about the size of the vivs I use for single animals....just a little taller. By the way you were talking I thought you had some elaborate set up. Every single cage I see pictured really has adequate space for one animal each. You should either sell half your animals or buy a bigger house.....

Those are actually smaller than the "drawers" I offer my snakes.

What about putting snakes in drawers to be able to keep more? And what about the experience over here that the snakes do just fine?

When the drawers have almost as much floor space, just not quite as much height, and the animals are kept alone the way they prefer, drawers blow your co hab set up away.......

Your set-up doesn't look so different than large tubs in a rack, though, your viv-stack is basically tubs that can't be moved out. Each viv there is about the same dimensions as tubs in a rack, so what's the essential difference? Tubs the same size with decoration in, are just the same thing but made of different materials.
I remember Elle's boa tubs were just as large as your boa viv is. Except only housing one animal, not two.

Well, I have always been open about the sizes in other topics so I'm a bit surprised about reactions now but it is as it is. I can tell you that my co-habbing vivs are larger than many fellow keepers put more than two snakes in over here, especially hobbyists with just a few in one show viv. And if you keep your snakes in drawers with larger floor space than my vivs, one argument is off the list of the advantages of co-habbing. If the height is over 30 cm too, I don't consider them drawers, than they are plastic vivs.

Your set-up doesn't look so different than large tubs in a rack, though, your viv-stack is basically tubs that can't be moved out. Each viv there is about the same dimensions as tubs in a rack, so what's the essential difference? Tubs the same size with decoration in, are just the same thing but made of different materials.
I remember Elle's boa tubs were just as large as your boa viv is. Except only housing one animal, not two.

I was thinking the same thing. What's the difference?

I have not seen drawers 30 cm high or measuring 90 x 60 cm, but I do think co-habbing is worth the extra space compared to about 80 x 50 x 15 cm, what I see as a regular drawer over here.

Really? All my snakes are single housed in 66q tubs which are about equal to a 20 gal maybe even bigger. I even set up shelves to have 90q tubs to give some of the bigger snakes and mommies more room. This just isn't big enough for me.

Corn viv size aside (we all know how we feel), the issue here is the boas.

They are already engaging in behaviors that are clearly warning signs. Either you are going to have a female boa bred too young, or possibly a fight on your hands.

Separate them. Keep them separated.

Your cage is big enough for a single boa to be perfectly happy, healthy and thrive. If you can't get another cage, it all boils down to picking the boa you like best and rehoming the other.

Nope, not really but it would be less urgent in case she can handle it. She measures about two meter now and weighed 3400 gram last July.

Nope, not really but it would be less urgent in case she can handle it. She measures about two meter now and weighed 3400 gram last July.

Not knowing the locality makes it trickier to guess. Oren might be able to shed some more light. I would say she was borderline.

The bottom line is still that cage is too small and there are too many variables to make cohabbing those two safe.

I never said I co-hab for the animals, I do it to be able to be keep more animals, but in a way I prefer above drawer like racks, because they have more space available per animal and height so they can climb. Looking at the animal alone we would keep most species individually in large vivs with loads of climbing material and such. People who keep snakes in drawer like racks, do so because they want to keep more snakes too, not for the snakes sake.

Sorry, dear, but this is actually incorrect. I have some snakes that WILL NOT FEED if they're not in a rack environment, or one with at least 5 closed sides. They have gone for over a month without eating when put into a display vivarium (even with plenty of hides). I do have one rack for those iffy feeders, and those who have been notably more picky when in a vivarium. My other tubs are for quarantine/babies.

Ok, but most people do... I do know about ball pythons preferring small vivs/drawers too. And mayeb they would have eaten in my 5 sides closeds vivs too.

You know what? In every single co hab thread, for literally YEARS you have come in and said that co habbing is perfectly fine, if a keeper knows her snakes and can read their behaviour. And now we have 2 boas crammed together in a cage too small clearly giving warning signs that things are not right, and you don't want to hear it.
For YEARS you have said that co habbing is much better than rack keeping because the snakes have access to much more space and enrichment, and then you show me a picture of your racks. MASSIVE FAIL.
For YEARS you have stated that co habbing is just fine and dandy as long as the keeper does it "the right way".

Well guess what? YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And just because others in your country keep their animals in worse conditions than you do, does not mean otherwise.

Back