• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Controlling size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paths54

I'm wanting my corn to grow to a smallish adult size. Is there a simple
feeding schedule that would be ok for the animal? I just got a new corn,
and space is an issue. I have an older 15 gallon tank, and would like to use it for him/her. It's a good size juvie right now, and I'm planning to feed every 14 days. I've heard of boa owners doing this. :shrugs:

Anyone else have smaller adults? Pls share your feeding schedules, thx.

and space is an issue. I have an older 15 gallon tank, and would like to use it for him/her. It's a good size juvie right now, and I'm planning to feed every 14 days. I've heard of boa owners doing this. :shrugs:

So you are going to starve him for your convenience? They call that abuse in kids. Cornsnakes don't get that big to begin with, so it makes no sense to not feed your snake correctly. Not feeding them correctly will shorten their lifespans along with their size. I'm guessing you won't get too much help in doing that from this group.

In a young snake every 14 days IS feeding far too seldom.
Why on earth did you get a cornsnake in the first place?

For Heavens sake, if you don't like the size of a healthy adult corn, rehome it and get something else.
Don't let the creature suffer because you don't feel like buying a bigger tank!

All my snakes eat once a week, except my 3 huge males that are all over 1000 grams, they eat every 10 days. And even then I feel like I'm depriving them.

All my snakes eat once a week, except my 3 huge males that are all over 1000 grams, they eat every 10 days. And even then I feel like I'm depriving them.

Keiran, who is 7 years old and 5 1/2ft gets fed a small rat every 7 days and he'll tell you that I'm starving him. He's definitely not fat.

Keiran, who is 7 years old and 5 1/2ft gets fed a small rat every 7 days and he'll tell you that I'm starving him. He's definitely not fat.

My boys (Calvin, Sniper and Snafu) are a bit chunky. They were once-a-weekers til about a month ago. They usually get leftovers if someone else is blue and doesnt feel like eating. They are on a hunger strike right now though cos they're looking for the ladies! (But I still OFFER them food)

Why dont you save up some $$$ while the snake is growing and buy a bigger viv in a year or so...while still feeding every 5-7 days.:)

Excuse me, but that's disgusting. You shouldn't restrict the growth of the beings in your care to save you money and space. Would you only feed a child a little amount each day or cram them into a tiny bed to restrict their growth because you'd want a dwarven adult child?

A 15 gallon tank, is as you've probably already guessed, too small. A 20 gallon long is the minimum size for an adult Corn, and even then, I feel that it's a little restrictive. A larger tank gives more room for exercise and mental stimulation.

You've answered your own question essentially. BOA OWNERS may do this. Cornsnakes are colubrids and boas are boids. Boids have much slower metabolisms that colubrids and so therefore, can be fed less frequently whilst still growing.

If you want a good, accurate and reputable feeding schedule search THE MUNSON PLAN (SAMPLE FEEDING CHART), using the search function in the toolbar at the top of the website page. It uses the weight of your snake in grams against the weight of a suitable prey item. If you haven't got a set of digital gram scales, get one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but feeding every fourteen days can barely even be classed as a maintenance diet.

David

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but feeding every fourteen weeks can barely even be classed as a maintenance diet.
David

If you fed every 14 weeks you'd kill your snake. This is a question where I feel you can give the proverbial "deucing" on a stupid question... "Can I starve my snake to save me some $" hahahahaha NO! You can't! And don't ask again. If you do anything, I say GIVE YOUR SNAKE AWAY! if you don't want to feed it and take care of its basic needs... If you can't afford a new cage, and or food, you don't need to own any kind of animal let alone an exotic animal... Some people make me sick.

Ps. Corn snakes and BOAS have different metabolismz, therefore you can't justify feeding a corn so little because someone else did it to their boa. Its like me saying that my brother never eats anything but junk food, and somehow hes still alive so I should do the same thing!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but feeding every fourteen weeks can barely even be classed as a maintenance diet.

David

If you meant feeding once every fourteen DAYS...

Personally, I consider feeding a hatchling once every seven days to be a maintenance diet. Fourteen days is cruelty to animals, and this guy should not own a guppy, let alone an exotic.

Once every 14 days is fine for a healthy, non-breeding adult Corn. If he's still on pinkies then 14 days is going to cause harm. You definitely have to feed according to your snake's needs, and not for your convenience.

You can't bonsai a Corn.

If you fed every 14 weeks you'd kill your snake. This is a question where I feel you can give the proverbial "deucing" on a stupid question... "Can I starve my snake to save me some $" hahahahaha NO! You can't! And don't ask again. If you do anything, I say GIVE YOUR SNAKE AWAY! if you don't want to feed it and take care of its basic needs... If you can't afford a new cage, and or food, you don't need to own any kind of animal let alone an exotic animal... Some people make me sick.

Sorry, I meant every fourteen days. It was late last night when I typed that message and my brain and fingers were tired.

Oh and I hope that was directed at the OP, I'm not the one starving my snake.

If you meant feeding once every fourteen DAYS...

Personally, I consider feeding a hatchling once every seven days to be a maintenance diet. Fourteen days is cruelty to animals, and this guy should not own a guppy, let alone an exotic.

Yeah I did, sorry. Again, like I said in my other post it was late when I typed that message and my brain and fingers were tired :grin01:

Actually the snake is probably ready for something bigger than fuzzies right now, and yes I said 14 DAYS. Now can someone actually have something to contribute to my original question.

Actually the snake is probably ready for something bigger than fuzzies right now, and yes I said 14 DAYS. Now can someone actually have something to contribute to my original question.

They have, you just aren't listening. No one is going to help you harm that snake and that's what you asking the board to do... it ain't gonna happen.

14 days is the outside for an adult snake, not a junvenile! Seven days is the outside for a young, growing snake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back