• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Controlling size

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't ban someone for being a moron....That's not fair!
Trolls on the other hand are a different matter.....

So I guess, if one questions a method, he gets banned, and if someone calls
someone a moron, he doesn't get banned... is that how it goes? :uhoh:

Oh please don't ban me. Look at how cute I am.
Jeez, OK, i'll get a 20 gal. and feed every 10 days. Hows that?

It's not 'jeez', it's 'thank you everyone for helping me, what I was doing was idiotic, selfish and wrong'.

No... You feed every 5-7 days like you should do.

So I guess, if one questions a method, he gets banned, and if someone calls
someone a moron, he doesn't get banned... is that how it goes? :uhoh:

More like, if someone trolls or is actually SERIOUS about starving an animal to purposely stunt its growth on a selfish whim, they get banned. And people who can recognize a moron on sight, won't get banned!

I would say feed it according to the munson plan (it's been posted already), 10 days for a baby is still way too little (I'm not sure how much your snake weighs).

DO NOT try and keep your snake small, try and keep it *healthy* like any decent human would. 20 gallons is the bare minimum, it's better than 15 but I would get larger if you can. If your snake is still small you have time, try and find some cheap second hand tank.

Snakes are not toys or disposable, do not treat them as such.

Sorry for the moron statement....But it got your attention.
Why don't you but a smaller snake, and care for it the way nature intended.....

look into rosy boas, they only get 2 or 3 feet and are super cute. They require a bit more effort as they can be picky eaters (from what I've read - I decided I like larger snakes and didn't end up getting one).

look into rosy boas, they only get 2 or 3 feet and are super cute. They require a bit more effort as they can be picky eaters (from what I've read - I decided I like larger snakes and didn't end up getting one).

Actually thanks, but I like corns the best, was thinking of a Sinaloan Milk though.

Anyways, I've seen many adult corns anywhere form 2 and a half feet to 5 feet, I just hope it doesn't grow to be a monster, cuz right now, it looks like he/she just might grow up to be one. Real healthy thick, youngun.

No hard feelings. I never used the words, Moron and Idiot. :shrugs:
No you didn't, but you also didn't shut up and listen. :shrugs: tomay-toh, tomah-to

Trying to bring the thread back to some level of sanity, I think people really need to re-think their reaction to feeding schedules and the like. Seriously, feeding regimens in captivity can be (and are) just as varied as the owners who keep them. This guy was looking for advice, not lectures. He got both, so be it.

Consider the cornsnake in its natural environment. What is it's one main job/duty/goal in life? Breed and pro-create. In order to do that it has to grow up asap.
Consider the hatchling corn, in the wild, convince me that a hatchling is going to eat more often than an adult. Roaming purely on instinct and zero experience, size of prey item obviously being a deciding factor in what it physically can eat, and having very little experience at staying safe . . . convince me that a hatchling corn is going to eat more often than an adult that has survived mother nature.

Considering that, it makes more sense to me that an adult corn is going to eat more regularly (ie. 7 day "schedule") than a hatchling. :shrugs:

I've fed hatchlings on a HARD 4 day schedule until hopper sized meals and then went with a HARD 7 day schedule. I've fed hatchlings on a HARD 7 day schedule for their entire life. I've fed hatchlings on a random 7-10 day schedule until on hopper sized meals and then switched to a HARD 7 day schedule. I've fed hatchlings on a HARD 10 day schedule until on hoppers and then switched to a HARD 7 day schedule. You know what?! Using breeding size as the "standard" not one single schedule made a difference to how soon my snakes have become large enough to breed (ie. over 300 grams). What's that say?! Nothing, other than maybe we need to lighten up a bit on how strict we are concerned about our snakes feeding habits. :shrugs:

:D
D80

No hard feelings. I never used the words, Moron and Idiot. :shrugs:
I know I did and I'm sorry.
It wasn't fair on all the morons and idiots out there.....
You need to decide on how much space you got and get something that can live in that amount of room....Can you go up? arboreal are cool....

No you didn't, but you also didn't shut up and listen. :shrugs: tomay-toh, tomah-to

Trying to bring the thread back to some level of sanity, I think people really need to re-think their reaction to feeding schedules and the like. Seriously, feeding regimens in captivity can be (and are) just as varied as the owners who keep them. This guy was looking for advice, not lectures. He got both, so be it.

Consider the cornsnake in its natural environment. What is it's one main job/duty/goal in life? Breed and pro-create. In order to do that it has to grow up asap.
Consider the hatchling corn, in the wild, convince me that a hatchling is going to eat more often than an adult. Roaming purely on instinct and zero experience, size of prey item obviously being a deciding factor in what it physically can eat, and having very little experience at staying safe . . . convince me that a hatchling corn is going to eat more often than an adult that has survived mother nature.

Considering that, it makes more sense to me that an adult corn is going to eat more regularly (ie. 7 day "schedule") than a hatchling. :shrugs:

I've fed hatchlings on a HARD 4 day schedule until hopper sized meals and then went with a HARD 7 day schedule. I've fed hatchlings on a HARD 7 day schedule for their entire life. I've fed hatchlings on a random 7-10 day schedule until on hopper sized meals and then switched to a HARD 7 day schedule. I've fed hatchlings on a HARD 10 day schedule until on hoppers and then switched to a HARD 7 day schedule. You know what?! Using breeding size as the "standard" not one single schedule made a difference to how soon my snakes have become large enough to breed (ie. over 300 grams). What's that say?! Nothing, other than maybe we need to lighten up a bit on how strict we are concerned about our snakes feeding habits. :shrugs:

D80

No I didn't shut up. But if I had, we wouldn't have had the longest thread in the last 5 pages of this forum, now would we? You're welcome BTW moderator.

Thank you for that ADULT reply.

It just amazes me that the second anyone wants to have a healthy ADULT debate on forum, they get attacked. :rofl:

D80

True, but how many hatchlings die and don't make it to breeding age in the wild due to a lack of food and/or killed by predators. It's been said before. Snakes in the wild will gorge themselves if they stumble upon a nest, and then take a long time to digest the huge meal, as I'm sure you know. So although it's not as regular, eating 5 pinkies in one go equates to eating 5 over a 3 week + period in snakes.

The point is; in captivity we can provide the ideal requirements for a creature to flourish. It doesn't matter if we don't all feed once every 5 days when on pinkies, or follow set feeding regimens, but it does matter that the snake gets enough to eat so that it doesn't suffer from malnutrition. Hatchling and sub-adult snakes need to eat a lot because they need to produce protein for growth and repair. As opposed to in adults it's just for repair. Like in humans, I'm a 16 year old boy. I need to consume the most calories out of any other age group, because I'm nearing adult size so there's a lot to repair, but I'm still growing too.

All the best

David

D80
Absolutely. Not defending anyone or anything, but the "right" way amongst the majority here isn't always the only safe or responsible way of doing things.

Personally, I don't think the OP was all that out of line. It was a question and looking for advice. I didn't notice any response from him saying everyone else was wrong, but plenty of people jumping the gun on shooting him down as a keeper. I agree trying to control growth for selfish reasons is wrong, so why is it ok to brag about how quick you can get your snake to grow? :shrugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back