• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Controlling size

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just amazes me that the second anyone wants to have a healthy ADULT debate on forum, they get attacked. :rofl:

It was your attitude and your apparent lack of willingness to learn that made me call you an idiot, not the initial question. I wasn't attacking you, but it also amazed me, can you see why?

I'm sorry if I offended you, but can you also see how you may have offended many people here? We're all animal lovers here, so when somebody posts a topic like this, things quickly heat up and things are said.

Enough with the personal attacks, folks.

Paths54: I was really only kidding about the ban thing. But I can't blame you for not recognizing it as a joke. Sorry. This thankless job wouldn't be any fun if I couldn't posture and threaten from time to time. ;)

The advice that Bitsy gave you and that I supported is the way to go, I think. Unfortunately, even conservative feeding of adults doesn't guarantee limited growth. Some corns are just super nutrient-assimilators of all incoming calories. But a 20 gallon (long) tank can accomodate even the largest corn. It's too bad that you already own the corn that you want to limit in size. If you were planning a purchase, we could have recommended types or lines that typically stay smaller. I have three-year olds that weigh 700g+, and I have others that haven't broken 300g and may never do so.

True, but how many hatchlings die and don't make it to breeding age in the wild due to a lack of food and/or killed by predators.
This is not a point that's on track with the discussion. We're discussing the ones that live.

So although it's not as regular, eating 5 pinkies in one go equates to eating 5 over a 3 week + period in snakes.
No, it's not. Larger gorged meals are actually less healthy. Many many regurges are caused by eating too much at once. period.

The point is; in captivity we can provide the ideal requirements for a creature to flourish. It doesn't matter if we don't all feed once every 5 days when on pinkies, or follow set feeding regimens, but it does matter that the snake gets enough to eat so that it doesn't suffer from malnutrition.
A. OUR ideal requirements. Mother Nature knows a heckuva lot better than us. period.
2. From practical experience, it's a heckuva lot easier to fatten up a snake that's too skinny than to slim down a snake that's too fat. period.
III. Your comments haven't convinced me that a hatchling in the wild eats more than an adult. period. (PS. From my understanding snakes don't stop growing, they just slow down as they get older. Shedding is a result of growth.)

Killing snakes ain't good on a snake forum
Definitely not! I just think that thinking 10 days between meals for a hatchling is going to kill them is reaching. :)

:shrugs:
D80

OP, on the off chance you are not just playing a joke and are serious and want a smaller corn, I suggest you look for a breeder with smaller adults (some snakes such as localty miamis are said to run smaller than the average sized corn)
I agree you can't bonsai a corn by feeding it too little, that is wrong (as you must by now realize by the type of responses you have gotten) but I do feel a smaller animal is possible to selectively breed for (meaning the genes are what makes it smaller rather than the inadequate diet)

Drizzt80 said:
Your comments haven't convinced me that a hatchling in the wild eats more than an adult. period. (PS. From my understanding snakes don't stop growing, they just slow down as they get older. Shedding is a result of growth.)

My comments weren't written as such, I think you've misinterpreted them. I said that young snakes need to eat frequently, for reasons that I've already posted. I didn't say that they ate frequently in the wild, far from it, you listed the reasons. And hence the point of my comment saying about the number that die.

Oh and I know that, and there's no need to put 'period' after every sentence.

OK so going back to my question.

I admit 15 gal. is too small, and 14 days is stretching it. But my corn is hardly a hatchling. I think 10 days is going to be fine. Call that abuse if you want.

In fact I'm going to try hoppers, or if I can find them, small adult mice.

OK so going back to my question.

I admit 15 gal. is too small, and 14 days is stretching it. But my corn is hardly a hatchling. I think 10 days is going to be fine. Call that abuse if you want.

In fact I'm going to try hoppers, or if I can find them, small adult mice.

I guess I still don't understand why you'd look for opinions when your mind's mostly made up, but it doesn't matter all that much to me. Some folks just get off on presenting themselves as "mavericks". I don't really care what anyone else does with their snakes, as long as I'm not buying from them (I don't think I have to worry about that in this case). There are people who keep their corns at unsuitable temps in exhaust-filled garages, and feed them whenever. Then there are those who strive to do all the right things. If you decide to exercise husbandry methods that fall somewhere in between these extremes, what can I do about it? :shrugs: You don't have the experience to safely make the decisions you're making on your own, but oh well...

OP, on the off chance you are not just playing a joke and are serious and want a smaller corn, I suggest you look for a breeder with smaller adults (some snakes such as localty miamis are said to run smaller than the average sized corn)
I agree you can't bonsai a corn by feeding it too little, that is wrong (as you must by now realize by the type of responses you have gotten) but I do feel a smaller animal is possible to selectively breed for (meaning the genes are what makes it smaller rather than the inadequate diet)

I'm totally serious. Again, I just wanted to hear some experiences of feeding
related to growth, and IF POSSIBLE, a SAFE way to keep from ending up with a monster snake. Hey, if you want to feed you corn two adult mice at a sitting, every 5 days, then complain how inactive, and fat he is, that's cool. I'm just saying, that's just not my cup o' tea.

related to growth, and IF POSSIBLE, a SAFE way to keep from ending up with a monster snake. Hey, if you want to feed you corn two adult mice at a sitting, every 5 days, then complain how inactive, and fat he is, that's cool. I'm just saying, that's just not my cup o' tea.

That's not what people do, at least not anyone on here. The point that's been made is that feedings are more frequent at a young age because the snakes are still growing, then as prey item size increases and your Corn gets bigger, you slow the rate down, to prevent the Corn from being overweight. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, and I know very little about snakes compared to some people here, but I guess I care too much.

IMO, a 5 foot, slender snake isn't a monster snake. As other people have said, if you wanted a small snake then you should have done your research and gone with a smaller subspecies of Garter snake or a Rosy boa, or something like that.

If you can't take how big a corn snake will get and will go against all these pros just so the snake can be "smaller" then why do you even have a snake in the first place? We might be harsh on you, but it's because we care for our snakes and we want to make sure other people are taking care of them properly too. I've been keeping snakes for almost 2 years, and I don't know everything there is to know, but I try to learn from my mistakes and from other people's mistakes. You act like you know everything, so if you do, why did you ask?

related to growth, and IF POSSIBLE, a SAFE way to keep from ending up with a monster snake.
You've already been provided with these methods and experiences.

Hey, if you want to feed you corn two adult mice at a sitting, every 5 days, then complain how inactive, and fat he is, that's cool. I'm just saying, that's just not my cup o' tea.
What a bunch of silly hyperbole. I guess your cup of tea is creating a starving, pencil-thin, juvenile so you can complain about his aggressive feeding behavior? Where have you seen these complaints you reference? I'm starting to suspect that you may just be the kind of trouble-maker I'd hoped you weren't. If you are, I should warn you that your type doesn't last long here. I'm not joking this time...

If you can't take how big a corn snake will get and will go against all these pros just so the snake can be "smaller" then why do you even have a snake in the first place? We might be harsh on you, but it's because we care for our snakes and we want to make sure other people are taking care of them properly too. I've been keeping snakes for almost 2 years, and I don't know everything there is to know, but I try to learn from my mistakes and from other people's mistakes. You act like you know everything, so if you do, why did you ask?

Well I know a lot more just by reading this thread. I know I need to get a bigger tank, and that 14 days, is just too long to go between meals/

Now, how is that acting like I know everything?

You've already been provided with these methods and experiences.

What a bunch of silly hyperbole. I guess your cup of tea is creating a starving, pencil-thin, juvenile so you can complain about his aggressive feeding behavior? Where have you seen these complaints you reference? I'm starting to suspect that you may just be the kind of trouble-maker I'd hoped you weren't. If you are, I should warn you that your type doesn't last long here. I'm not joking this time...

Yes that is exactly what it was... a hyperbole. Just a figure of speech. Not directed at ANYONE

awwwwww, I really want a lion. My basement is kind of small though, I don't want, like, a monster lion or anything. Maybe if I don't feed it so it's growth gets stunted? It'll be fine, eh?

Now, imagine if I posted something like that on a lion trainer/zoo/big cat lovers web board.

Yes, people's reactions have been extreme, but we *really like* corn snakes here. That is kind of the point of this whole site, maybe you should re-evaluate how you post or look for answers yourself before posting. You can learn a lot by just reading and lurking.

And why are you so worried about having a lazy snake? Just how entertaining do you expect them to be? Two of my guys hide all day, and they are far from "fat".

OK, all you drama queens; go to your respective corners.

FWIW, the only reason I'm posting on this thread is the fortuitous correlation between the thread title and my current avatar.

Thanks, you've been a great crowd. Tip your waitstaff, and be sure to fill out the comment cards on your tables.

regards,
jazz

I didn't say that they ate frequently in the wild, far from it, you listed the reasons. And hence the point of my comment saying about the number that die.
The vast, vast majority of them don't die from not eating . . . they die from being eat-en. That has very little to do with how often they eat. Of course your next point of discussion may be that since they are dead they're not eating! :)

D80

Is this aimed at me? My post is quoted in this reply.
If so, where do you get off assuming I overfeed my snakes two adult sized mice every 5 days and then complain about how fat and inactive they are? That's such BS I am extremely conservative in feeding my animals and don't try to grow them up in a hurry. I've never had a snake develop "hips" because I don't stuff them trying to grow them up in two years.

I replied to your question without bashing you and with information on the only way you can have a small adult corn without deliberately stunting it which is going to shorten its life. But since you want to be hostile in return I will tell you what's not MY cup of tea and that is ingrates who come on here with crappy attitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back