• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

help my corn is stuck in a log!!

Don’t worry about feeding him right now. When you get him out the thing he will need most is piece and quiet.

I’m a little worried about the oil idea. It may make the wood swell. I’m not too sure you will be able to get it to penetrate very far along his body. If you do use the oil mineral oil would be the best. KY jelly dries out quickly and then gets sticky. Mineral oil has better lube qualities than olive oil.

If the circulation in the lower half is restricted there is going to be a build up of body fluids that will cause it to swell. The longer this goes, the bigger the problem is going to become.

Now that I have seen the log I am more confident in the idea of trying to work a screwdriver into a crack or a slit you make and then twist the screwdriver until the wood splits. Look along that know an try to find a natural crack that is already there and work on extending that crack.

Good luck my friend. This has taken much longer than I would have guessed.

See if you can work on this natural crack. I looks like you might be able to pop the knot off the top of the log.

Attachments

• Snake in log (Medium).jpg
    Snake in log (Medium).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 79
It might not hurt to just ask a vet. How do they cut casts off without cutting the person? Or rings?? Maybe someone at an orthopedics clinic would have better tools.

I got a bit deeper into the wood last night. Ill post a picture before I begin today. The stuff is just so damn hard to pry open. I also dug out a piece that was loose and under him against the inside wall. It seemed to free up a little space for him in there. Gonna get some mineral oil on the way home and hope it helps. Also doctos use a saw with a clutch type setup whlack of resistence it stops. The best bet is one they use on a skull. Usually the ones on casts they'll slide something else under the cast. Big popsicle stick and stop against that. Thanks for all the help and support everyone

I've been doing just what he said. It works but its very slow. The damn wood is just so hard. Ill get him out tonite guaranteed

I have no opinions on how to get him out besides the great suggestions already given. All I can add is a good luck and hope to come back to this thread and find a great ending.

well ive cleared away alot of wood just now. there was stuff under him that was pretty bulky and i was able to remove that along with everything else that was visually digging into him or putting pressure on him. right now hes got his tail wrapped around the log and doesnt want to let it go so im gonna give him a little break and go back at it in about half an hour. hopefully ive cleared enough away so that he can free himself. and if not then im gonna have to split that log in some way

Man, this is stressing ME out, I can't even imagine how YOU'RE feeling, let alone the poor snake. I'm really hoping he survives this. If you get him out, I'd put a small box or something in there for him to hide in and cover his tank for a few days. Good luck with this...thanks for keeping us posted.

OMG I really hope you get him out soon.. Poor baby... I did have this happen once with a younger corn and a coconut hut.. I fed him and he went right into the hut and tried to come out the top.. He got himself stuck..It took me awhile to get him backed back out. Snakes can get stuck, unfortunately.. Maybe its a good idea to make a warning thread on this for hides and etc.. ??
Good luck :)

well guys, heres the update. after about 2 hours of working away at ithes finally......free :D thank god. my girlfriend and i managed to get into that crack in the log and with a pry bar, a big screw driver and another screwdriver we were able to open it up alittle for him and he moved a bit and then we got it opened up more and he sensed freedom and took off. he ended up grabbing onto something in the tank and pulling as i pulled the log out. he left a few inches of his tail in and went right for the water bowl. something you rarely see is your snake drinking. ive caught him a few times and each time hes stopped and looked at me. not this time, he sat in there drinking for a good minute. i guess he was so compressed in there he couldnt get any water into his sytem. his skin has taken some damage on the scales but it doesnt look too bad. aside from that hes just hanging out right now enjoying the light. probably trying to figure out what this freedom thing is and why he isnt a snail anymore. lol.

i just wanna thank everyone in here for all your help and support through this. im so releaved that its over. looks like his log plaything is over soinstead hes gonna get a 2.5 inch piece of pvc pipe with 1.5 inch holes drilled through it everywhere. thanks again.

and here are some shots of him doing what he does

DSCN3076-1.jpg

DSCN3077-1.jpg

DSCN3079-1.jpg

DSCN3085.jpg

DSCN3086.jpg

DSCN3087.jpg

DSCN3089.jpg

and a mouse i put on the second level for him one day because he was up there and he snapped at it so hard that he was hanging off the edge by a half foot of body

DSCN3092.jpg

DSCN3094.jpg

Congrats! Now that he is out safe, I would put him in a tank with just papertowels on the bottom so he can stay clean and uninfected in case of small cuts.

Also... Very unusual cage you have for him. I have never seen someone keep a cornsnake in a chameleon cage. I used that reptile bark before in my cages and I recommend finding aspen...that dusty stuff was a nightmare and caused some dust build up in the belly scales of a couple of my snakes.

he didnt completely remove himself from the log before going to drink some water. i didnt want to disrupt his drinking so i had the log wedged open while he drank. hes out now and safe. seems to have a small dent around the middle, im thinking either a food bump or perhaps an indent from the log.

unfortunatly i threw out all of my tanks a few weeks ago, i wish i had kept one but i didnt. hopefully this will be fine for him. so far he isnt exploring much, just kinda laying around. probably exhausted from the last 3 days of being squished.

thanks for the heads up n the bedding ill check for the aspen stuff next time im at the pet store.
as for the terrarium. i like it because it stands about 5 feet tall and has more than enough room for him to stretch ot and explore and at the same time it doesnt take up as much room as a large tank would. temps are good in it, cold side is 60 warm side is just shy of 90 and he has hiding spots through out all of it. :)

Good deal uchi, I'm glad for you. So aren't you going to use the log hide anymore?

i dont think it was ever intended as a hide more of place for him to play on, but it had a hole in it and he seemed to go into it. i might see if i can fill it up with some wood filler and then ill put it back in. its a shame to toss a piece like that. ill bring it to my workshop and see what i can do with it

party0011.gif
Hooray!!!!
party0011.gif

I'm so happy that he's out and doing well!!!

I use old driftwood pieces that have been in my fish tanks, and some are even big hollow plastic logs...I fill the holes with Great Stuff foam and let it dry for a few days. Works great and it's inexpensive.

Congrats, again!

Back