• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you feel about God.

All of which has been translated from the original texts... My point is, a ton gets lost in translation/interpretation of these texts.. Just like the people my wife did a cultural immersion for one of her classes. She and a Jewish girl chose to go to the local Mosque, in order to learn about Islam, and its people/culture... According to them, any translation of the Koran makes the book no longer the Koran, because you do not get the true meaning of the words when reading it in any other tongue than the original...

This is the line of thinking that I go with for the Bible, we have lost its meaning because of the translation. I really wish that I could know the language(s) of the original texts of the Bible, because I could better understand its meanings. But, since I do not, I am stuck in the same boat as everyone else, only speculation as to what it really means because of possible poor/ mis-translation by those who translated it into Latin, and then English.

Like the book of Magdaline? (Sp?) Those that chose which books to be included in the bible felt this book was of no historical importance? Why the heck not?

I have no idea rich. I think it had something to do with it empowered women. I have not yet read the book of Magdalene, but from the history channels "Banned from the bible" miniseries that airs every so often, It does sound like an interesting read.

So I'm looking at the newspaper today that has a picture of the retiring Pope in it.

So what are the implications of the Pope needing bodyguards?

Would it be because he is the most powerful religious leader in the world, and a target for possible assassination by groups who despise the Church?

Would it be because he is the most powerful religious leader in the world, and a target for possible assassination by groups who despise the Church?

And the implications of that are? You didn't take that thought far enough.

Take it a bit further..... There is an image posted that gets pretty close.

It seems to me that the Pope is guarded by bodyguards and bullet proof glass because he, or some other church official, thinks there are people who want to kill the pope.

Same reason our president has bodyguards.

I feel like believing in god is like believing in Santa clause.

I totally agree. It is not condescending to believe that something such as a belief in a god should have proofs stronger than the proofs that make up Santa, elves, fairies, demons, etc. All gods stand on pretty equal footing with all other mythical beings. That footing is called blind belief. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence for most people. If you think about it, not many would think anything of it if a statement was made that I feel like believing in elves is like believing in santa. Why is that?

If a person truly believes there is a santa how is that different from a person who truly believes there is a god, goddess, fairy, etc?

No No no!!! You guys have got it ALLLLLLL wrong!!!

Can't you see? they are sizing the pope up for his own personal space

capsule. So that he may return home to his people.....:sidestep:

Back