• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you feel about God.

My apologies Rich for the misunderstanding.

The questions you ask in your next post however have been studied and I have a few books on the subject itself written by anthropologists, psychologists, sociologists, etc. as the origin of religion, differences between religions, etc... have long fascinated me. All of your questions are very valid and they require much more detailed answers than I have the time for, but even given the time I think there is much more to be analyzed as with most studies... there is never a end all truth to be found where nothing new can ever be gained or learned.
For me, I was deeply religious at one point in time in my life. I stood for 4 days in prayer without food, water, or sleep in the traditional lakota way vision questing multiple times, sundancing, attending yuwipi ceremonies, sweat lodges, etc. I think we are all born atheists. Some never become religious, but most become the religion of their culture. Those that study religions in depth and are deeply religious may even find that they don't believe other religions, but they believe their religion is right. They have found the right path. Then, when they apply the same logic as to why they don't believe those other religions to their own... if they are able to do that then the walls start tumbling down if they are able to do that in earnest. Alternative possibilities exist of course and one may simply say that all religions are just roads leading to the same end goal so to speak and the little bits we don't agree with are mans influence on that religion and its our best attempt at grasping the incomprehensible.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus [341–270 B.C.]

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

An atheist doesn’t have to be someone who thinks he has a proof that there can’t be a god. He only has to be someone who believes that the evidence on the God question is at a similar level to the evidence on the werewolf question. McCarthy

Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions. Pascal

I want to know what the bible really says. Not any translation, but the original words... But to do that I would have to learn another language, and while I would love to do that, it will probably be too hard for me to grasp anyways. Since, the bible is up for interpretation. Why else would we have so many different Christian religions?

"Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." 2 Peter 20-21

Mark.7:9-13 "Whoever curses father or mother shall die" Mark 7:10 Jesus upholding OT law disrespectful children die

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." 2 Timothy 3:16

Matthew 5:17-20
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

19 major religions in the world.

Subdivided into 270 Large Religious Groups

34,000 Separate christian groups in the world. of which, "Over half are independent churches that are not Interested in being involved with big denominations.

Now kids.....

we ALL can't be right!!!!

"Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." 2 Peter 20-21

Mark.7:9-13 "Whoever curses father or mother shall die" Mark 7:10 Jesus upholding OT law disrespectful children die

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." 2 Timothy 3:16

Matthew 5:17-20
17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

All of which has been translated from the original texts... My point is, a ton gets lost in translation/interpretation of these texts.. Just like the people my wife did a cultural immersion for one of her classes. She and a Jewish girl chose to go to the local Mosque, in order to learn about Islam, and its people/culture... According to them, any translation of the Koran makes the book no longer the Koran, because you do not get the true meaning of the words when reading it in any other tongue than the original...

This is the line of thinking that I go with for the Bible, we have lost its meaning because of the translation. I really wish that I could know the language(s) of the original texts of the Bible, because I could better understand its meanings. But, since I do not, I am stuck in the same boat as everyone else, only speculation as to what it really means because of possible poor/ mis-translation by those who translated it into Latin, and then English.

19 major religions in the world.

Subdivided into 270 Large Religious Groups

34,000 Separate christian groups in the world. of which, "Over half are independent churches that are not Interested in being involved with big denominations.

Now kids.....

we ALL can't be right!!!!

I agree, they can't all be right when so many religions disagree with each other.

:)

Remember....My vote is for alien intervention
I've entertained that idea in the distant past. But at the time I was consuming mass quantities.

coneheads_SNL.jpg

Speaking of all of this spanking, I'm about to go read more of Foucault's Discipline and Punish. It's more about the prison system, but interesting still.

Anybody else read this? I would love to discuss.

What's the difference between spanking and hitting?
If I used a belt to hit a adult I would go to prison for assault (and maybe assault with a weapon.) But do the exact same thing to a little child and it's called a spanking. Violence teaches violence, hitting makes hitters and abuse creates abusers.

Spanking as far as I am aware is a deliberate but not overly forceful impact of the hand- the shock, and being put in a dominated state, are the result.

Hitting is a deliberate affliction of pain as punishment, and that's not what I was talking about.

Carpe you have a tendency to google and "quote" studies... those are interpretations of an actual study, which quite frankly don't necessarily accurately represent the content of the study. You did the same a while back when you tried to make a point about circumcision by presenting things that are simply not true as though they were facts because it was written somewhere over the web.

So... not every child is the same and thus not all should be treated in the same way. But some are indeed more prone to violence, or disrespect, and until you have to deal with one of them, do not lecture others about how -your- kids, who are vastly different, turned out so well without being disciplined in that way.

I don't condone it, but as someone who is not a parent yet, I feel it is presumptuous of me to blame my parents and entire generations of being needlessly violent without having been in their shoes.

Your kids are different? grand. So your solution is great for your kids.

As a kid that received a spank once in a while- I was not robbed my personality, or freedom, or whatever... that's a load of bollocks. Do not presume to teach people who have experienced it about it's consequences.

People have a tendency to condemn others' actions without having really dealt with the same circumstances. Your sermons are very romantic and all, but they do not hold water- they are detached from a reality that quite frankly, you never really experienced.

I too, might decide that I do not need to hit my children- but until I am in that exact sopt in life, I don't run around making all sort of statements... and regardless of my choice, I am not going to condemn others for deciding differently.

Getting back to the OP (troll) topic though. I found it interesting that I watched both Life of Pi and Prometheus this week within days of each movie. Both great watches in regards to this subject... I wont tell you which one I sided with, but I will say I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

That shouldn't be a surprise since I graduated with a B.S. in a major science and by a matter of chance nearly had enough credits for a double in Philosophy/theology (had they counted my Lit credits I would have), I settled for the minor. Why punish myself? Because I was equally interested in both, the scientific view of humanity, and the philosophic... neither are right, and both are. The most important thing I learned, I don't need to convince 2 million other people ( or even 2) of what I believe, to be OK when it all comes to pass.

Back