• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Palmetto Heritable

Cutting . . .

I don't ordinarily have to cut eggs (possibly one egg for every 500+ laid). In the Nursery, the eggs are hatching at 62 days this year, based on the temperature and humidity therein. In the main building, they're hatching at precisely 60 days this year (commensurate to temp and humidity). This brood looked just a tad dry (based on seeing that the egg shells didn't thin as much as others - usually because either the incubation medium was too dry from the start OR dried out from an inadequate closure). I don't care if they look dry when I'm right there to determine if they could become trapped inside from having too much "shell thickness" between their tooth and ambient air, but since I knew they'd begin to hatch today and I would not be there, I slit each one at top center-lengthwise-equivalent to 1/2 the length of the egg. They usually ignore my cuts, and emerge from their personal cuts, but by cutting them as I did, at least they would not be trapped if the shells, were they too thick or the embryos had defective egg teeth. When I began my scribes Friday, I discovered that indeed these eggs WERE excessively thick for me not to worry during my absence today. They probably could have slashed out, but for what I knew was in these, I wasn't taking that chance. Not unlike albumin spilled on the stove top when you're breaking eggs over a skillet, it congeals quickly on snake eggs to seal my cuts (so no oozing). So, IFFFFF you have done your homework on knowing when they should hatch (within a week), you can cut them ahead of time. The cut you make will seal shut in minutes, so no essential nutrients will be lost. Then, if the embryo does not need to use the emergency exit you cut, it's just an ugly, sealed scar on the egg that will be ignored. I cut all 13 of these eggs on Friday, knowing I'd be gone today (and the cut on each one would be benign and probably ignored) so I would not fret being away. I've cut eggs up to 14 days early that all hatched, but I don't recommend this as a routine practice. Nine times out of ten, they ignore my cuts and emerge from their own.

REPEAT: Do not do this unless you KNOW you have a problem and only then, with the express assistance of an expert.

I don't care if they look dry when I'm right there to determine if they could become trapped inside from having too much "shell thickness" between their tooth and ambient air,

I don't, usually, do this, either, but have done so on a couple of eggs. Where the rest of the clutch had pipped, etc., but nothing going on with two. The shells did seem a bit thicker (&/or more rigid) than the "norm". So, I slit them. A short time later, those two pipped ... using the slits I had cut.
Both hatchlings perfectly normal.:)

Edit: I do agree, however, that this should not be done as a routine practice, etc.

Congrats Don,
And yes whe have a proven new mutation, and the looks spaeks for itself.
Hope to see combo's in the future, but that is to you.
Do your own thing, and i hope to see nice snakes.
I was thinking would a ( piedside bloodred ) something to put in the game.

Greatings

Jan

Awesome!!

Congrats Don!! Awesome looking hatchlings!! Maybe someday I'll get one.:shrugs: I hope you produce many more this season!

Whoopee!!! I am really hoping I can get on the list for one of these next year if I'm lucky! I was hoping to get a scaless but these definitely have to take first chair now! Lol! Congrats Don!!!

Rebecca

Who cares if you can mix, or match, or change the appearance!?!? Its so unique, I wouldn't wanna change a thing!

Huge congrats to you Don!

Who cares if you can mix, or match, or change the appearance!?!? Its so unique, I wouldn't wanna change a thing!

Huge congrats to you Don!

That is basically what I think about it's unique color/pattern scheme too Steve!. Zig-zags and light lavenders, hypomelanism, butters, etc...doesn't compare squat to the loud natural color flecking it already displays.

~Doug

I'm coming to the thread late, but just found it as I was out of town the beginning of the month.

Don, I LOVE the way you have, and are, handling this whole situation. Not sure how but you always manage to combine class, humor and smarts in action and communication about things like this. As a customer I really appreciate it; as a cornsnake hobbyist-forum lurker it's great to read posts with such a super 'attitude' to them.

A well deserved, BIG gratz to you. Count me as one of those folks who will look longingly at the store front window with a wistful smile. Not in my financial neighboorhood, but what a sharp creature. <G>

Please don't confuse the pardox I am looking at with the palmetto. I am asking about an entirely different snake. Nothing to do with the palmetto. I don't want any confusion. Thanks,

Back