• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Palmetto Heritable

Also, knowing your reticence to post on forums thank you for all the info :)

Yes thank you for the info and the picture on your site. As I look at them, one has a closer look at the snake and I even see speckles on some of the "'colored" scales. I hope one day to see even more photos of Palmetto.

I can always count on Walter to point out potential trait impossibilities (all you can change is eye color in these) about a new mutation that he does not own. Thanks for being you, Walter. Don’t ever change! lol.

No sweat. Kinda reminds me of when I wanted to breed a particular animal with random white splotches and I was told not to waste my time...;)

Anyway, thanks for the F1 pics.......I'm more convinced this is a Corn Snake and it is an amazing animal. I've thought so ever since I saw the first pics. of it.

My comment was simply presented in that if this animal IS IN FACT a kind of Leucistic then as in the Ball Pythons I don't think it can go any further than changing the fleck color (which would be cool in some of the yellows) and eye color. There is no pattern that can be bred into a Lucy Ball and it be visible. It just don't happen when the Lucy trait is present, but of course we are not talking about Ball Pythons here.
Also if this is the case, I don't see Lavender prodengy coming from it that exibits other colored flecks.

I hope I'm wrong and this thing does produce in a different manner when combined to other colors AND pattern traits.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion and my is mentioned above. It has NOTHING to due with the fact of if I own it or not.

I wish anyone who gets into them all the best in the world and hope it goes above and beyond my thinking on them.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

In keeping with our policy not to flood markets with excessive inventory, we kept back only 2.2 from each of those out-pairings.

So, what happened to those animals in excess of the 2.2 you held back from each pairing?

Honestly, if I were in Don's shoes, I doubt I would sell any of them for at least 6 years. Maybe longer. Give myself time enough to establish full visuals of every combo I could think of before selling them at all.

It appears that Don has a complete monopoly on them at this time. That is extremely rare. And it ends when you sell ANY of the stock. In most cases, you don't realize you have something unique until gene carriers have already been sold off and spread out all over creation. Since the gene came from a wild caught, it is HIGHLY unlikely to just show up anywhere else spontaneously.

There are no white ones . . .

Don, does the "white one" from the F2 pairing have any pattern or is it a "leucistic"?

Also, knowing your reticence to post on forums thank you for all the info :)

Of the five that hatched from this clutch. all five have the random (and eerie and consistently spaced) color flecking. I estimate that if I combined the total amount of color on each one, they'd all exhibit exactly the same color percentage of their overall body square-inchage (like acreage, but much smaller).

Congrats Don, I remember the post when the snake was first found, glad it ended up at SMR with you... Now maybe I can sell a kidney here and then we can talk...

Congrats Don! Thanks for the new pics! You are in the "Drivers Seat" and it's gonna be a fun road ahead !!! :cheers:
Let us know when we can start putting them on LAYAWAY ! :D:D:D

Todd

Too Funny . . .

No sweat. Kinda reminds me of when I wanted to breed a particular animal with random white splotches and I was told not to waste my time...;)

2 Funny. Yeah, that was me. You asked if I had a bloodred with any white on the sides. I said you were wasting your time, but sent her anyway. The rest - as they say - is the history of the p/s bloodreds.

Anyway, thanks for the F1 pics.......I'm more convinced this is a Corn Snake and it is an amazing animal. I've thought so ever since I saw the first pics. of it.

Also, for those that know the only paradox corns in cornsnake herpetoculture so far - have not been reproducible, Palmetto appears to be a stand-alone mutation. Yet another reason I didn't want the name Leucistic associated with it when I named it Palmetto. I didn't want any color or food namesake that would be challenged or "changed" later (we won't tear that GRANITE scab off right here and now - grrrrrrrrrr). Also, by not using the word Leucistic in the naming, the discoverer of the elucive TRUE Leucistic mutation won't have to work around this one - in the naming process.

My comment was simply presented in that if this animal IS IN FACT a kind of Leucistic then as in the Ball Pythons I don't think it can go any further than changing the fleck color (which would be cool in some of the yellows) and eye color. There is no pattern that can be bred into a Lucy Ball and it be visible. It just don't happen when the Lucy trait is present, but of course we are not talking about Ball Pythons here.

My point exactly. The eyes and most of the integument are identical to most serpent lucism (except for rare and anomalous color splats we see in one out of ten Leucistic Rat Snakes - that rarely amount to more than a scale or two).
Meet me back here in 1,000 years and I think there will be dozens of Leucistic-like mutations in corns. IF we haven't blown up the planet with all our human nonsenses.

Also if this is the case, I don't see Lavender prodengy coming from it that exibits other colored flecks.

You may well be right, but it will be fun to find out, eh?

I hope I'm wrong and this thing does produce in a different manner when combined to other colors AND pattern traits.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion and my is mentioned above. It has NOTHING to due with the fact of if I own it or not.
I'll remind you of that when you come up with a new mutation. Instead of giving you an attaboy and point out all the positive attributes, I'll point out all the limited improvement potential it will have. Yes, Rich's forum is all about freedom of speech, but I had hoped you would have been more positive in your comments about this beautiful new mutation, as I'm sure you would be about your new discoveries.

I wish anyone who gets into them all the best in the world and hope it goes above and beyond my thinking on them.

Walter

We appreciate that, Walter. Thanks.

Rich . . .

So, what happened to those animals in excess of the 2.2 you held back from each pairing?

People are not going to want to hear this, but when I told Daryl the A to that Q yesterday, he about fainted right there on the phone. All the other hets were sold to my customers as common corns last year, but I never sold pairs to anyone, and almost never revealed the SMR id. I flubbed up twice by putting the SMR id for that genetic pairing on the lid of the shipping containers, but in so much as my typical customers that order Common corns rarely buy them to breed, I didn't lose sleep over it. It's not like I scribed on the lid PALMETTO HET CORN. Hence, there are about 20 of those gems floating around out there right now, but don't get any ideas, folks. I very seldom sell corns in bulk and have never had a wholesale price list. AND NO, I'm not trying to get people to order Common corns from me this year. Just answering Rich's question.

Honestly, if I were in Don's shoes, I doubt I would sell any of them for at least 6 years. Maybe longer. Give myself time enough to establish full visuals of every combo I could think of before selling them at all.

Don't think the thought didn't cross my mind. I had four of them sold to trusting customers before I even revealed to them what they were. Literally all four of the customers (2 in the U.S., one in the UK, and one in Germany) offered me $4K each for them without even knowing their color and/or general appearance. I just told them they were unique and never before seen in the corn snake industry. After considerable deliberation (and sharp criticism from Daryl and Jim, I elected to disappoint at least four people this year, and sell only females in 2012. I will likely sell only females again in 2013, and when I finally decide to part with the gender powerhouses (males), you can bet the price will be scary. After telling one guy I was not going to sell them this year, he offered me $10K for a pair of babies. When I said "no", he asked me to name the price. As you point out, Rich, once they're out there, all those that would be tickled to sell them for $2K each will be clawing for top market position. We dreamed about a white corn that was not a hybrid product. Honestly, I didn't think I'd be lucky enough to land something this rare, but knowing this is the biggest thing to hit our industry and knowing I can't sell corns forever, I'm doling them out sparingly. And "yes", Rich, I really should have put off selling them until 2015, but a many of you are aware, I have secret projects in the works that may eclipse this one. Stay tuned . . . (ps - I hate when other say that, but I just couldn't help myself. I just hope I learned from the master well enough to keep them under wraps until the right moment. I'm usually the first one to let the catsnake outta the bag.

It appears that Don has a complete monopoly on them at this time. That is extremely rare. And it ends when you sell ANY of the stock. In most cases, you don't realize you have something unique until gene carriers have already been sold off and spread out all over creation. Since the gene came from a wild caught, it is HIGHLY unlikely to just show up anywhere else spontaneously.
Yes, this is a first for me. Most of the time, new morph compounds are do-able by anyone. Their genetic components are already in the corn snake genetic tool box for anyone to contrive. This is the first time I haven't felt the hot breath of runners behind me in the race. I thought about holding them for several years, but I don't know how many more years I'll be doing this. Holding them one more year will work for (before my next surprise is revealed) and cornsnake breeders will appreciate that they were available sooner than later. :shrugs:

Don, I would love to get hands on this morph, if only for my own enjoyment, as it would be the gem of my meager collection.

They are beautiful, and I am extremely happy to see that it is genetic, and not a one time thing. I am sure I will have one, or more in the future. I already told the wife that I am going to be stashing money aside every month in order to try and get one... She rolled her eyes at me...LOL

I probably won't be able to get one in 2012, but perhaps the year after. If my hubby had a job right now, you bet I'd be setting aside money for one of these guys!

People are not going to want to hear this, but when I told Daryl the A to that Q yesterday, he about fainted right there on the phone. All the other hets were sold to my customers as common corns last year...

Oh, no- I am very happy to hear that! Because if it was the other option-

All the other hets were sold to my customers as common corns last year..

Just think, hypothetically some soccer mom who gave in to her kids demands and bought a pair of normals could have "the next big thing" hatch when we see another "Help, I cohabbed my kids snakes and they laid eggs, NOW WHAT?" threads in two years..;)...just sayin'...

I like the name, it's the first "morph" name that doesn't try to describe it :)

Wow! congrats Don.I may have to go and shake the piggy bank and see what comes out lol. Can't wait to see more pics in the future.
Later Rob

I am still excited about all this and look forward to the possibilities!
Hopes are that other possibilities can be had but, ... even if nothing more can come out of it, the original Palmetto is a ~beauty~. A look that, surely, must appeal to a good number of people.
BTW What luck that the original Palmetto turned out to be male.;)
The 4k price tag does make me go "ouch" (lol) but ... won't stop me from trying to get one.;)
Don, so glad to see you posting. Thanks for doing so!:)

palmetto corn price

This is an exclusive project-you will need more than money-I suspect these will be sold by invitation only-the masses will be SOL for at least 5 years

People are not going to want to hear this, but when I told Daryl the A to that Q yesterday, he about fainted right there on the phone. All the other hets were sold to my customers as common corns last year, but I never sold pairs to anyone, and almost never revealed the SMR id. I flubbed up twice by putting the SMR id for that genetic pairing on the lid of the shipping containers, but in so much as my typical customers that order Common corns rarely buy them to breed, I didn't lose sleep over it. It's not like I scribed on the lid PALMETTO HET CORN. Hence, there are about 20 of those gems floating around out there right now, but don't get any ideas, folks. I very seldom sell corns in bulk and have never had a wholesale price list. AND NO, I'm not trying to get people to order Common corns from me this year. Just answering Rich's question.

Don, congrats on this find!! They are something spectacular, and I am glad I am alive to see this history as it is made!!!

As far as people "not wanting to hear what happened to the hets", well not that what I think matters a whole lot, but I think what you did was brilliant. Those normal babies were not destroyed, and all have good homes. That is what really matters in the end. And you protected your "copyright", which you have every right to do and would be a fool if you didn't. Cudos!!!!

Just think, hypothetically some soccer mom who gave in to her kids demands and bought a pair of normals could have "the next big thing" hatch when we see another "Help, I cohabbed my kids snakes and they laid eggs, NOW WHAT?" threads in two years..;)...just sayin'...

I like the name, it's the first "morph" name that doesn't try to describe it :)

I can answer this one for Don, no pairs were sold together and none were sold in groups to wholesalers. Those went out in seperate directions so they couldn't be reproduced. Now, if they were to breed that normal to another and keep eggs, they may strike gold.

dc

Back