• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Very worried!! Snake not moving 4 days after feed!

RedCloud

I fed my corn snake, Chipotle, last Sunday. It's now Thursday and he has not moved out of his warm hide since. He usually comes out once or twice a day to cool off or chill by the water dish but he hasn't moved. I actually thought he might have died so I picked up his hide. He didn't move at all until I poked him, and he just shifted away slightly. Idk if it's just me but his scales look a bit darker too. His eyes look normal, but a few of the picture the flash made them look blue-ish. They are NOT blue. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394776174.128529.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1394776186.548880.jpg

Without the flash- ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394776213.931896.jpg

He also hasn't been handled since I bought him (the Sunday before I fed him). Should I take him out? Or would that just make things worse? Also, there is NO poop that I can find. Is he constipated or something?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For comparison here's two photos of when I first got him w/ and w/out flash.

With flash- ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394776578.362705.jpg

Without flash- ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394776618.117922.jpg (yes he still has that little patch of peely skin on his neck)

My snake goes a different shade for a while..bit darker and duller in color....couple days after his eyes go blue. Couple days later his eyes go normal again....and couple days later he sheds. You could have just missed the blue phase. But snakes go through different stages. My snake never leaves his hides Except at night. All winter....he practically only used his warm side

He's blue. Photos pick it up easier than the human eye. Now it will take him a total of 10-12 days to shed. He will not more during this time. Then he will appear, and he will look like he shed, but you can't find the shed. This is the clear phase. He will shed within 24 hours.

I've had some take 5 days after going 'clear'. And some of my snakes go 'dull' in the scales up to 3 weeks before they actually shed. Vanay would go ugly-brown close to 3 weeks out.

My snake goes a different shade for a while..bit darker and duller in color....couple days after his eyes go blue. Couple days later his eyes go normal again....and couple days later he sheds. You could have just missed the blue phase. But snakes go through different stages. My snake never leaves his hides Except at night. All winter....he practically only used his warm side

Oh boy, I just got him and now he's gonna go shedding on me right away xD Doesn't he know I'm a beginner at this! Gosh lol I guess now would be the right time to put in a humid hide? Cause when I have my heater on the humidity drops to like 15% o.o

He's blue. Photos pick it up easier than the human eye. Now it will take him a total of 10-12 days to shed. He will not more during this time. Then he will appear, and he will look like he shed, but you can't find the shed. This is the clear phase. He will shed within 24 hours.

Ah ok so hopefully in like 2 weeks he should be all good. Should I bother feeding him this week or handling? Or will that just tick him off? I haven't handled him since I got him and I don't want him flipping out on me after he sheds lol

I've had some take 5 days after going 'clear'. And some of my snakes go 'dull' in the scales up to 3 weeks before they actually shed. Vanay would go ugly-brown close to 3 weeks out.

Woah, 3 weeks!? Then another 2ish to shed? Hope mine clears up soon, I don't think I can take the suspense that long xD

It won't hurt him to hold off feeding, but it probably also won't hurt him to offer a feed either. At his size I wouldn't be so worried about a regurge, so long as your temperatures are fine. My corn is only a juvie and almost always eats during her shed cycles.

Some people offer anyways, others just wait until after they shed. He's a big boy and can go awhile without feeding :) and by that, I mean a couple of weeks - if it takes that long, at most, for him to complete his shed.

I didn't realise Leo was dull until Wednesday after I'd fed him on Sunday (he didn't look that dull then). I probably completely missed his eyes going blue but he shed today whilst I was at work (I was really hoping to catch him at it but he either waits until I'm asleep or out). Catching him with his eyes actually being blue has yet to happen for me.

Ah ok so hopefully in like 2 weeks he should be all good. Should I bother feeding him this week or handling? Or will that just tick him off? I haven't handled him since I got him and I don't want him flipping out on me after he sheds lol

I never feed in blue, pretty much. In nature, the snake would not be out hunting. It would be hiding away, not eating, and not pooping. Its digestive system is already backed up. (Another sign of being in blue before you can tell, visually, is an unexpectedly large weight gain, from not pooping the last meal.) He's still settling in, he doesn't know you- I'd just let him shed in peace.

I never feed in blue, pretty much. In nature, the snake would not be out hunting. It would be hiding away, not eating, and not pooping. Its digestive system is already backed up. (Another sign of being in blue before you can tell, visually, is an unexpectedly large weight gain, from not pooping the last meal.) He's still settling in, he doesn't know you- I'd just let him shed in peace.

I agree with Nanci.

I have an adult snow female snow corn that you can always tell when she goes into blue. She will refuse to eat, however, if she does eat she will regurge. It is better to just skip the feeding, then to have to go through regurge protocol.

Also, you will probably get a shed burrito. Which is a shed with a nice large poop inside of it :) Those are lovely gifts.

May have fed them in the middle of a shading process without noticing it or if you haven't had the snake for that long it is still going to the accommodation process. Process may take short time may take a little longer each snake is different just like you and me. As for the Sheding process that may take anywhere from 10 to 14 days to complete. as for not seeing poop believe me it's in there even if you don't see it with your naked eye. if you snake like to burrow if you use Aspen bedding just take a look at the underside of your cage might notice a black spot here or there. All in all it just sounds like she needs some more time to get adjusted so be patient and it should pay off down the road hopefully

Up until this shed, every other shed just as he goes dull I feed, not in blue tho. I would hold off. In the wild he wouldn't feed near a shed. As for handling....I pick her up usually once a day while in she'd to check her progress...make sure she's doing okay.

You pick her up every other day while she's blue? I bet she doesn't like that! They really just want to be left alone.

Ah thanks everyone! I won't be feeding him this week and I'll try not to bug him (aside from giving him a humid hide) and hopefully all goes well :D first snake (first reptile actually), first shed so I'm all nervous nelly xD Especially when I see him in the same position, I always worry that he might have died :O

I created a humid hide for him, and placed it into the tank. Chipotle got pretty ticked that I moved him to the other side and eventually buried under the aspen *under* the humid hide and hasn't gone in. He should find his way in later right? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394952529.210984.jpg
Crappy phone flash but that's the humid hide. Good?

Back