• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How do you feel about God.

Okay so.... from Nate's link.

Is the Book of Genesis Plagiarized from Sumerian and Akkadian (Mesopotamian) Sources?
Posted on September 9, 2009

This is a common claim by Zecharia Sitchin and those who adore him, like his webmaster Erik Parker, and Jason Martell. As I have blogged here before (here and here), this idea was common fare toward the end of the 19th century, due primarily to two historical forces: (1) the novelty of the decipherment of cuneiform material, certain items of which sounded like Genesis stories; and (2) anti-Semitism being rife within higher-critical biblical scholarship. Today, in the 21st century (and one could say since the mid 20th century), scholars of Akkadian and Sumerian do NOT hold this view. They just know better since they have a much more accurate grasp of Akkadian and Sumerian, as well as Semitic linguistics.

This morning the University of Chicago graciously posted a new e-book on the ABZU website entitled, “From Babylon to Baghdad: Ancient Iraq and the Modern West.” It’s free, and so here’s a link to it. I recommend (unless you are a fundamentalist Sitchinite) reading the article “The Genesis of Genesis” by Victor Hurowitz. I have inserted a hyperlink to the page in the Table of Contents. Hurowitz is a professor at Ben Gurion University in Israel (so he lacks that awful Christian bias). He is a recognized expert in the interface of the Hebrew Bible and Assyriology, and serves on the steering committee of the Melammu Project, which focuses on the study of the intellectual heritage of Assyria and Babylonia in the modern East and West.

Guess what? He doesn’t agree with Sitchin and his followers that Genesis came from Sumerian and Akkadian works. What a shock. I’ve highlighted a few choice phrases in the PDF at the link so you can’t miss them. What’s even better is that the article also includes quotations from Assyriologist Wilfred Lambert that say the same thing. Who is Lambert? He’s one of the scholars Sitchin likes to quote in his books to create the impression that he (Sitchin) is doing serious research when he isn’t.

But please read it for yourself. Yes, there is a relationship between works like Enuma Elish and the book of Genesis — because they both come from the ancient Near East, not because of literary dependence. As the article points out, the real parallels to Genesis from non-biblical material do not come from Mesopotamia; they come from Ugarit. This is something that anyone who has looked at my divine council site already knows, since I point it out all the time.

There’s no antidote against PaleoBabble like fact-based scholarship. But like any medicine, you have to take it before it can help you.

I have highlighted some key words.

"Jason serves serious relationship medicine."

Whoa. Okay, mind blown.

Plug that into to google and you spit out Jason Castro - Sweet Medicine.

Jason says "My reason, my only hope. Believe me." What he's trying say is...

Who really gives a crap? Believe in whatever gives you hope. It does not matter it's God, Allan, Buddha, the Flying Spaghetti Monster or nothing, if you are an Atheist.

Just don't put down, persecute, or demean someone who does not believe the EXACT same thing you do. Also, don't make fun of whatever does give someone hope. People who make fun of, or put down people because of their personal beliefs are about as appealing as a skid mark in a fresh pair of tighty whiteys.

If such a snake escapes into the wild we can never be sure that a snake that was not indigenous to that area that escaped did not breed with another snake indigenous to that area

Yeah and there are people who don't like the idea of animals being kept in captivity in areas where they are not native.

As far as hybrid stuff goes, all I was trying to get at was that a Pueblan milksnake would never meet a corn snake if it weren't for people. People have have a histroy of moving stuff around to lots of places. Under natural conditions, it is exceedingly unlikely that a south american milksnake would ever meet a south eastern US corn or rat snake, let alone mate with one.

We can debate what "natural conditions" are, or how natural or unnatural "human intervention" is, and of course whether or not hybrids are good for the animals involved, other animals, good for "nature" (which is another debatable word), and of course the ethical part of, for lack of a better term, playing God when we put two creatures together. I mean it is like the GMO debate. Should we really be putting spider genes into goats? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16554357)

I don't have answers to these questions, but I sure hope people who create hybrids know what they're doing. Humans also have a long history of messing stuff up and then having to go back and fix our mistakes (draining wetlands, straightening rivers, overharvesting fish, introducing species to certain areas, destroying forests, detonating hundreds of nuclear bombs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCF7vPanrY) just to name a few) . We're a terribly myopic species.

I prefer a precautionary principle approach for some things. Hybridization is a Pandora's Box, and you're right- that hybrid animal will escape. It is just a matter of time. But who really knows the risk of releasing that animal into the wild? Do we want to run that risk, however great or small it is? I'm not going to say that you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying that it isn't for me.

Who really gives a crap? Believe in whatever gives you hope. It does not matter

Just don't put down, persecute, or demean someone who does not believe the EXACT same thing you do. Also, don't make fun of whatever does give someone hope.
Yeah, people have the right to believe any crazy thing they damn well please. I mean what harm could it possibly do?
Especially religious beliefs, they've NEVER done any harm at all, right?
Attack.jpg

Just don't put down, persecute, or demean someone who does not believe the EXACT same thing you do. Also, don't make fun of whatever does give someone hope. People who make fun of, or put down people because of their personal beliefs are about as appealing as a skid mark in a fresh pair of tighty whiteys.

Oh how I love this.

Yeah, people have the right to believe any crazy thing they damn well please. I mean what harm could it possibly do?
Attack.jpg

Way to use emotional imagery to make your point. Those that commit that horrific act where radical members of a certain religion. Not all religions believe in such acts. Not all muslilms believe in killing in the name of their god just like not all Christians are as radical as the westboro baptists. Grouping all religions together and using that as an example just shows how uneducated you are in the different religions and their beliefs.

Many of us here lost people either in the 9/11 attacks or afterwards during OIF or OEF. Many of us have love ones that came back never really leaving the war. I do not think that it was a religion that sent Americans to war in the middle east but rather a government.

I guess the main thing I don't understand about religion is why would anyone get worked up over the topic? Seriously, why argue about something that neither party knows anything at all about?

So God is omnipotent? OK, I'll believe that one right after he or she creates a rock that is so heavy that he or she can't lift it. :rolleyes:

I agree...

I'll also be the first to admit that I have no clue what has happened in the past,as far as whether it was alien intervention,Divine intervention or just boring 'ole evolution. Nor do I know what's gonna happen in the future.

Again, as i've said before.... I just prefer the Alien angle as opposed to the All mighty being angle.

Actually,

I'd like to thank those that have responded to this thread these past few days.....We were able to share thoughts & idea's about one of life's Biggest questions,without becoming too hateful with one another.

Attack.jpg

I never said it did no harm, but you can keep putting words in my mouth if you like. I'm okay with that.

I can post pictures of atrocities commit by men who had no religious beliefs at all, who claimed to be atheist. But does it matter. It is humans who are cruel and can commit acts of horrific grander without having a reason at all.

I do not think that it was a religion that sent Americans to war in the middle east but rather a government.

I actually had a rather interesting discussion not too long ago with some folks about religion and whatnot. I have heard in the past that "more people were killed because of religion" blah blah blah.

Our group came to the conclusion that the religion did not kill people or start wars, but hat governments using religion went to war, etc. That is, religion serves as a fault line of division. An in-group vs. out-group attitude. Government A decided to try and kill people B and they're different because of religion. It is not that the religion teaches murder, war, genocide, or what have you.

I agree...

I'll also be the first to admit that I have no clue what has happened in the past,as far as whether it was alien intervention,Divine intervention or just boring 'ole evolution. Nor do I know what's gonna happen in the future.

Again, as i've said before.... I just prefer the Alien angle as opposed to the All mighty being angle.

Actually,

I'd like to thank those that have responded to this thread these past few days.....We were able to share thoughts & idea's about one of life's Biggest questions,without becoming too hateful with one another.

Rich, I would say most of us responded with respect to others rather well. It is amazing that others can not voice their opinions or beliefs without putting others down or making insults or using distasteful imagery.

I would have a discussion with you and many others that have commented on this thread til the cows come home because we have respect each other as a person and not because of what we believe.

Rich, I would say most of us responded with respect to others rather well. It is amazing that others can not voice their opinions or beliefs without putting others down or making insults or using distasteful imagery.

I would have a discussion with you and many others that have commented on this thread til the cows come home because we have respect each other as a person and not because of what we believe.

And I Thank you! :)

yeah, I realize the subject matter itself is very volatile. And really, All of it is

Guess work....to put it lightly. I mean, Pick a group. who ya gonna believe?

I'm certain No one here has ever seen an alien...or god for that matter.

So...if you'll excuse me...I need to feed my pet unicorn. what? How can you

NOT believe in unicorns??? :sidestep:

Our group came to the conclusion that the religion did not kill people or start wars, but hat governments using religion went to war, etc. That is, religion serves as a fault line of division. An in-group vs. out-group attitude. Government A decided to try and kill people B and they're different because of religion. It is not that the religion teaches murder, war, genocide, or what have you.

This. Soooo much this.

Religion is has been used as a tool by governments and leaders since people realized it was a great catalyst.

Muslims supposedly blew up the World Trade Center. That being said, I have NO PROBLEM with Muslims.

I DO have a problem with the people who carried out the attack. Not because of their religion, but what they chose to do.

In their eyes it was just. According to my eyes it was unjust. So who is right? Both sides see it two totally different ways based on their beliefs. I am not saying those actions were right, because killing people is not, according to my beliefs.

I don't like people who murder other people, but that does not mean I hate their religion, the two things are separate.

Numbers 23:22 “God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.”
Numbers 24:8 “God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.”
Job 39:9 “Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?”
Job 39:10 “Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?”
Psalms 29:6 “He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.”
Psalms 92:10 “But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.”
Deuteronomy 33:17 “His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.”
Psalms 22:21 "Save me from the lion’s mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns."
Isaiah 34:7 “And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.”
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. Deuteronomy 17:12
This is a sad god showing little tolerance for other cultures to me personally.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46

You should not let a sorceress live. Exodus 22:17
What a tolerant god?

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. Exodus 21:20-21

Now, this is very kind. If I were god, I would have said. Owning slaves is wrong. Beating slaves is wrong. If you are caught doing either you will be punished.

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you. Deuteronomy 20:10-14

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.
Deuteronomy 22:28-29

If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives. Leviticus 20:13

I tend not to agree with any god who would kill someone for the way they were born. Interestingly enough, there are other cultures who believe that gays are two spirit individuals and they have special powers. The Lakota believe winkte (gays) to have special powers and while I don't buy that, I do respect that there are people that are different from me and its okay to be different.

Now, personally, I would make a law stating rape was bad under all circumstances and the rapist should be punished... and not the victim as the above clearly does.

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. Exodus 22:19
Again, this doesn't show acceptance of other cultures.... I just can't buy into any god that would be so cruel.

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. Deuteronomy 13:7-12
Killing followers of other religions by stoning them... not very sound guidance for any god.

The lakota looked at winkte as often having the power to foretell the future, give special names of power, and even assigned them roles of matchmakers. To see the vast difference in the way one culture looks at gays and another culture looks at gays and realizing that these cultural differences are based on religion makes one realize... that perhaps neither is viewpoint is true. Perhaps gays should not be killed or ostracized nor should the be assumed to have mystical powers. Perhaps, we should just realize that the world is full of people and we are all different, but do we really need the complications of unfounded blind beliefs to add to that mix and make things even more complicated?

Back